Quantcast

Author Topic: Propecia Horror Story and Recovery  (Read 37104 times)

Yep

• View Profile
Propecia Horror Story and Recovery
« on: April 24, 2012, 04:23:21 pm »
I just recently encountered your article regarding Post-Finasteride-Syndrome, and I could share some advice from my own experience and recovery processes. I started taking the drug, in the Proscar form, about a year ago when I was 18. My doctor prescribed it to me, and unfortunately, neglected to warn me of the potential consequences. Of course, just two weeks in, I began to experience the described sexual side effects including numbness, shrinkage, testicular pain, dysfunction, etc. I stopped taking the drug immediately, but things only seemed to get worse. After a month off, my system "crashed", causing severe androgen deficiency and I was experiencing the full myriad of sexual and mental side effects, so add depression, fatigue, anxiety, insomnia, lack of motivation to the list of symptoms.

I tried to find help online through [edited by moderator], but the forums offered little help and there was a general consensus that the condition was irreversible, and it seemed only to be an outlet for affected users' misery, frustration and desperation. Obviously, I was devastated and saw myself transform from a motivated straight "A" student-athlete to a deplorable, miserable, couch-locked sociopath almost overnight. I visited doctors and endocrinologists, but none could offer any significant help, just testosterone-replacement-therapy.  ( I wasn't ready to give in at my age, and has very mixed results), or to dismiss my condition as psychosomatic or mentally self-induced.
After months of suffering and self-evaluation, I knew I needed to do something. To many guys with this condition,tragically, the answer is suicide. For me, I decided I must deploy every health tactic in the arsenal of modern medicine. Through my teen years, my sport has been natural powerlifting/bodybuilding and so thankfully I'd already been thoroughly self educated on the critical role of androgens in male physiology, and how to manipulate them without drugs. Furthermore, I came across a man based in England, under similar circumstances, was able to make a full recovery and put together a respective program on his own website.

I pooled my resources, which included your website peaktestosterone.com (which I read almost daily), and put together my own program. Basically, use a once-weekly resistance workout style called "big-five" which is detailed in the book [edited by moderator], I avoid cardio altogether, and focus on resting through most of the week. As for my diet, I follow a fairly strict paleo-style diet, focusing on meat, nuts, eggs, fruit and veggies. I consume no grains or processed foods and minimal dairy. After reading your article on the hormonal effects of pesticides, I've gone nearly full organic as well, with the exception of "safe" foods like avocados, kiwis and bananas. Further, I take a multivitamin, fish oil and 10 mg of zinc daily, and have now include maca and chia seeds following the advice of your website.

I've been adhering to my regimen for nearly 4 months now, and ,thankfully, have seen some wonderful progress in terms of my symptoms subsiding. Blood work has also documented my progress, as I've managed to increase my tesosterone from a daily average of 240 to an average of 430. I no longer suffer from brain fog or severe depressive/anxiety disorder, and am getting significantly more pleasure from sex and arousal. Anyways, my point is that many guys are victims of the corporate pigs who shoved this drug onto the market before a chance for proper research, and are forced to believe that this condition is entirely irreversible from an online community of similarly depressed and miserable perspectives.

While we may not know about this condition extensively, we do, however, know that it is based in an epigenetic change of the male chromosome, meaning that with the optimal diet, excercise stimulus, and rest, it is very plausible that anyone affected can make a full recovery. It is simply a matter of time and effort. I know I will make a full recovery within the year, and hopefully in the next few months, at which point I will begin to really push my solutions to the masses of affected individuals.

In the meantime I will keep up my progress, using your site and advice as an instrumental tool in getting back my young life. This really is a tragic situation for too many guys, and I hope you will try and share the solution.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 06:15:50 am by PeakT »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Propecia Horror Story and Recovery
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 04:44:28 pm »
Thx for the encouragment.  I didn't any of my searches were ranking for that issue, so that's great.

Well, I'm glad you're getting a nice, steady recovery and congrats on all the great changes. 

They can try to kill us, but we're not gonna let 'em, eh?
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 04:44:28 pm »

marty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 05:31:28 pm »
Hi Yep,

Are you still on THe forum? I'm encountering THE same as you did. How are you doing now? Almost a year later.

Really hope to hear from you

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 05:58:05 pm »
Hi Yep,

Are you still on THe forum? I'm encountering THE same as you did. How are you doing now? Almost a year later.

I haven't seen the original poster around.  As an fyi, I took the stuff for awhile myself and wonder how much that contributed to my low testosterone.  In my case I think it may have just made a bad problem worse as I am pretty sure I have been low T my entire adult life.

But my sympathies are with you and I'd encourage you to get tested if you have not already.
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 05:58:05 pm »

Blade78

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 09:28:12 pm »
Fear of baldness, stemming from my Dad and my older brother(who'd measure his stagnant hairline) caused me to try this stuff for about 6 months
Then I had the worst experience with the hottest girl and I tried to figure out why?
Instead of coming to the OBVIOUS answer, I had taken EC stack and thus ephedrine is a beta-agonist drug, and stimulates the sympathic nervous system, which inhibits the parasympathic, whic is required to get the penis hard,
I listened to a internet board, who was aware of my Propecia/Finasteride  regimin and thus told me that I was fucked....
likely it didnt help that I was also a fat ass who had lost his life, but didnt die, so I was pretty deep in a funk.
Even now, as the day is trying to be bright in my life, and I was tested for Test, it was low and is now 530, which is still low for a dude my age.
but shit, dont do drugs...the MD who gave me the Propecia/Finasteride  told me there was a 0.5% chance of having sexual side effects...I had no idea that were permanent, I still dont understand how they can permanent?

Congrats on the recovery, the body is an amazing device.

Hi Yep,

I haven't seen the original poster around.  As an fyi, I took the stuff for awhile myself and wonder how much that contributed to my low testosterone.  In my case I think it may have just made a bad problem worse as I am pretty sure I have been low T my entire adult life.

But my sympathies are with you and I'd encourage you to get tested if you have not already.
“Don’t you feel good when you go to the gym?’ Not at all. There’s too many people in-shape there. When I go to McDonald’s I feel great. At McDonald’s I’m Matthew McConaughey.” --Jim Gaffigan - Mr. Universe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 11:32:04 pm »
i took it too and hate that now i am taking hcg and arimidex, just one drug on top of another, but see little choice.  they have definitely helped.  i knew there could be sexual side effects, but no idea they could be permanent.  the label said theyd go away if you stopped.  i agree with the original poster about that propeciahelp site.  it definitely sucks that this happened to me and everyone it happened to, but there is too much helpless bitching on that site rather than searches for answers.  life deals you a lot of bad cards and this is one, but you can either do something about it or just bitch and be miserable, which people on that site seem to have chosen to do.  i get depressed reading that stuff and would rather fight back.  i am much better now, but still nowhere near where i was before taking in terms of sex drive and enjoyment of sex.  the one thing i did find on their site is the endocrinologist who has done the most research on post finasteride syndrome dr irwig, happens to be at george washington university in washington, dc where i live, so i made an appointment to go see him which finally comes next month.  dont know if hell be able to do anything more for me than i am already doing but it is worth a shot i figure.  anyway, leave no stone unturned rather than sit around and whine.  if i learn anything from him i will post it on this board where people are actually trying to get better rather than the other one

Blade78

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 12:28:53 am »
i took it too and hate that now i am taking hcg and arimidex, just one drug on top of another, but see little choice.  they have definitely helped.  i knew there could be sexual side effects, but no idea they could be permanent.  the label said theyd go away if you stopped.  i agree with the original poster about that propeciahelp site.  it definitely sucks that this happened to me and everyone it happened to, but there is too much helpless bitching on that site rather than searches for answers.  life deals you a lot of bad cards and this is one, but you can either do something about it or just bitch and be miserable, which people on that site seem to have chosen to do.  i get depressed reading that stuff and would rather fight back. i am much better now, but still nowhere near where i was before taking in terms of sex drive and enjoyment of sex.  the one thing i did find on their site is the endocrinologist who has done the most research on post finasteride syndrome dr irwig, happens to be at george washington university in washington, dc where i live, so i made an appointment to go see him which finally comes next month.  dont know if hell be able to do anything more for me than i am already doing but it is worth a shot i figure.  anyway, leave no stone unturned rather than sit around and whine.  if i learn anything from him i will post it on this board where people are actually trying to get better rather than the other one
please let us know what Dr  Irwig says
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/247858.php

I am very curious and Im on board with your view about wanting to take action rather than bitching,  I like to do stuff to overcome problems, I like solutions, not problems
please let us know what he says
“Don’t you feel good when you go to the gym?’ Not at all. There’s too many people in-shape there. When I go to McDonald’s I feel great. At McDonald’s I’m Matthew McConaughey.” --Jim Gaffigan - Mr. Universe

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 01:54:52 am »
i took it too and hate that now i am taking hcg and arimidex, just one drug on top of another, but see little choice.  they have definitely helped.  i knew there could be sexual side effects, but no idea they could be permanent.  the label said theyd go away if you stopped.  i agree with the original poster about that propeciahelp site.  it definitely sucks that this happened to me and everyone it happened to, but there is too much helpless bitching on that site rather than searches for answers.  life deals you a lot of bad cards and this is one, but you can either do something about it or just bitch and be miserable, which people on that site seem to have chosen to do.  i get depressed reading that stuff and would rather fight back.  i am much better now, but still nowhere near where i was before taking in terms of sex drive and enjoyment of sex.  the one thing i did find on their site is the endocrinologist who has done the most research on post finasteride syndrome dr irwig, happens to be at george washington university in washington, dc where i live, so i made an appointment to go see him which finally comes next month.  dont know if hell be able to do anything more for me than i am already doing but it is worth a shot i figure.  anyway, leave no stone unturned rather than sit around and whine.  if i learn anything from him i will post it on this board where people are actually trying to get better rather than the other one

If it's appropriate, let us know what comes out of that meeting:  it might help quite a few of those to follow.

JackAndy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 02:33:36 am »
Wow those are some really emotional stories guys. I had no idea that a baldness pill could do that.
5'11" 190 lbs
150mg Test-E/week

Blade78

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 02:42:45 am »
Wow those are some really emotional stories guys. I had no idea that a baldness pill could do that.
I agree
that;s why I want to know what Dr Irwig says. one pill, effects (or is it affects) you the rest of your life?
This pill has some serious stuff going on.  you can take AAS, which goes into a cell and changes DNA(makes more protein), yet those effects wear off when you stop taking AAS...so how does one pill change? something? in the body to cause sexual problems?
I'd like Dr Irwig to answer that.
It's not that I don't buy what he's selling nor the people affect by gulf war syndrome...I just want to know what's going on and how it's going on.
Then how to treat it
John Kelley: Look, I don't care what you call it: Gulf War Syndrome, Iraq Fever, Crappy Sickness X.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0979558/trivia?tab=qt

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 03:11:33 am »
Here is an ABC article with Irwig's comments:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/baldness-drug-propecia-long-lasting-possibly-permanent-sexual/story?id=16758123#.UVZXDRw4tPM
The study looked at about 100 men who had side effects after taking the drug.  For almost all of these men the side effects last OVER a year at least.  Scary stuff...

And check this out:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2172553/Propecia-Baldness-drug-Wayne-Rooney-took-cause-permanent-impotence-shrink-genitals-men.html

This states that "Doctor reveals twenty percent of patients he interviewed for Propecia study experienced persistent sexual dysfunction for more than five years."

JackAndy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 03:25:00 am »
I wonder how many guys are walking around in my country with permanent damage from Propecoa. Men are obsessed with hair here. They never wear hats and you never see bald guys. They will pay anything to get their hair back. There are two hair restoration clinics within walking distance from my house.
5'11" 190 lbs
150mg Test-E/week

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 03:35:52 am »
I wonder how many guys are walking around in my country with permanent damage from Propecoa. Men are obsessed with hair here. They never wear hats and you never see bald guys. They will pay anything to get their hair back. There are two hair restoration clinics within walking distance from my house.

Sure you and I and about 10 million other people.  It's kind of interesting the FDA doesn't look into, eh?

Blade78

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 03:57:08 am »
Ive wondered that myself,
why dont bald/balding men wear hats?
I remember my grandfather having tons of moles/sunspots/etc removed from his bald head
HE ALWAYS WORE A HAT outside

i understand teens/kids <25, they think they are I^3, (immortal, invincible, infertile) but older men?  35+?  why arent you wearing hats?

JackAndy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 04:06:08 am »
I'm bald and put sunblock on my whole head and face.
5'11" 190 lbs
150mg Test-E/week

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 04:06:08 am »