Quantcast

Author Topic: Best form of boron?  (Read 53976 times)

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Best form of boron?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 09:01:28 pm »
Nice!  Thx...
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

EH

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 11:24:01 pm »
I need to clarify my above statement regarding ConcenTrace.  By "I did not verify absorption" I mean I did not ever test the absorption for it because I didn't need to after calcium borogluconate was clearly absorbed. 
Age 40
5'8" 145lbs

*Cured my intermittent ED which started at ~35 years old by adding in nitrate-containing foods DAILY (arugula, beets, romaine, spinach) and drinking occasional POM juice. Interestingly, I have seen no changes in cholesterol/LDL/HDL or any other typical blood parameters.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 11:24:01 pm »

Tfan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 10:33:21 am »
Rhodesian, I had a similar experience with the very first few times I took the calcium borogluconate capsules from NOW foods.  I also had the diminishing effect in subsequent uses.  Whenever I experience something like this (it happened with Nettle Root Extract as well) it always makes me think it could just be the placebo effect.  It is either that or the body getting quickly acclimated to the new substance.  Either way, it is always disappointing when the effect wears off so quickly.

As far as pH is concerned, 10 mg is such a small amount, and I mix it with other nutrients into a glass of orange juice and blend it up, so by the end of it the pH is definitely not noticeable as OJ is already very acidic.

I'll be curious to hear your experience with calcium fructoborate.  I will have my hair test results soon enough to know whether the boric acid was absorbed or not; however, like you mentioned, I haven't noticed any of the good sexual effects from boron since the very first time I took it.

Hope to revive Boron discussion... Any news on your experiences? Am considering this for T, Free T and Estrogen control after reading. Any differences observed in the forme? Calcium Fructoborate vs calcium borogluconate ?

Thks.
Age 48
Tribullus

EH

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 08:16:54 pm »
Boron is a mineral that I have studied pretty closely.  It has some preliminary studies showing effects on SHBG (lowering), free testosterone (raising), osteoporosis, and arthritis.

I have used the calcium borogluconate from NOW foods (3mg) and verified it's absorption via hair testing analysis (which is a rough, cheap and easy way to test absorption since hair is an excretory tissue).  I also dabbled with the ionic solution from ConcenTrace, but did not verify it's absorption unfortunately (it ended up in my compost instead).

I currently use (and this is controversial) boric acid powder as the supplement to my multivitamin.  I blend about 10mg into my multivitamin drink a couple times per week.  I use boric acid because it is a form found in nature (sea water, plants, fruits).  The only question with boric acid is purity.  It is by far the cheapest form of boron available as one bottle will last a couple lifetimes.

I ordered another hair test kit this week, and will report on the values when they are available (end of Sept probably).  Hair testing is also controversial but I can say in my experience that there were 3 specific minerals I supplemented (magnesium, iodine, boron) and amazingly all of them showed very high percentile results versus the other essential minerals (calcium, etc).  That is evidence of my body absorbing each of those minerals and excreting them in the hair.  The subsequent hair test (after stopping the supplements) did not show high percentile results.

I have not done any further work into boron recently.  I do have a new set of hair test results due this week, so it'll give me an idea as to how much boron I am excreting in hair.  I am not currently supplementing with boron.  Instead, I am planning on adding it to my garden for next year (via boric acid) and hoping that will cover some of my needs in a natural way.

I had no success in raising testosterone or free testosterone by ingesting boric acid.
Age 40
5'8" 145lbs

*Cured my intermittent ED which started at ~35 years old by adding in nitrate-containing foods DAILY (arugula, beets, romaine, spinach) and drinking occasional POM juice. Interestingly, I have seen no changes in cholesterol/LDL/HDL or any other typical blood parameters.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 08:16:54 pm »

EH

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2016, 01:48:08 am »
I recently re-started the Now Foods boron supplement (calcium borogluconate).  I have been taking 6mg per day (2 capsules) for about a week now.  Again, just like the first time, I have noticed my sex drive increase notably.  I doubt the effect will persist but I will continue with the boron as my recent hair tests have shown that I am not getting enough boron in my diet, so I plan to supplement it going forward.  I will post my next set of hormone testing and see if there is any difference from recent baselines.
Age 40
5'8" 145lbs

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2016, 03:03:20 am »
I recently re-started the Now Foods boron supplement (calcium borogluconate).  I have been taking 6mg per day (2 capsules) for about a week now.  Again, just like the first time, I have noticed my sex drive increase notably.  I doubt the effect will persist but I will continue with the boron as my recent hair tests have shown that I am not getting enough boron in my diet, so I plan to supplement it going forward.  I will post my next set of hormone testing and see if there is any difference from recent baselines.

Let us know how it goes.

I've got some boron and haven't taken it because I want to make one change at a time.  So I'm curious how thing will go for you!
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

DXHypo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2016, 03:11:04 pm »
You guys taking Boron read the same thing I keep seeing online- boron raises estrogen?!  I picked some Tri-boron up after reading this thread but after the fact started researching it more and read about the estrogen.  Just wondered if it's something to be too concerned about as my E2 is high right now although I have recently started compounded anastrozole/DIM through Defy.
59 year old on TRT for about 12 years, primary hypogonadal, current trt regimen- Test cypionate subq via slinpin @ 16 units or 32 mg EOD. Current stats: 330 lbs, 6ft2". Defy Medical patient.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2016, 06:19:25 pm »
You guys taking Boron read the same thing I keep seeing online- boron raises estrogen?!  I picked some Tri-boron up after reading this thread but after the fact started researching it more and read about the estrogen.  Just wondered if it's something to be too concerned about as my E2 is high right now although I have recently started compounded anastrozole/DIM through Defy.

That's just one study.  See #7 here:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Boron_Testosterone

Best to measure yourself before and after imo.

bobor

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2016, 03:07:48 am »
Realize this is an older post but I ve been looking at boron supplements and came across this thread:

The most common and easily accessible form of boron to me is from Now supplements which has boron in the form of borogluconate.

A quick search of the Internet show that this form is generally used on livestock and veterinary purposes. One site even indicates that it is toxic to humans http://www.healthcentral.com/acid-reflux/c/question/59501/35304/

Is there any concern that borogluconate is a form of boron that we should be avoiding and instead try to get other types (e.g fructoborate)?

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2016, 05:12:03 am »

Will you let us know if it keeps going?

Hey, are you low in quite a few nutrients on your hair test?

EH

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2016, 04:01:53 pm »
I stopped boron about a month ago.  It seems to have a 1-2 week boost for my sex drive.  The problem is that it makes me very irritable.  There is no doubt it is the boron as I have tested it many times, both alone and in combination with other supplements.  So far, all of the purported testosterone boosting supplements that I have tried have caused a similar aggression/irritability.
Age 40
5'8" 145lbs

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2016, 12:09:50 am »
I stopped boron about a month ago.  It seems to have a 1-2 week boost for my sex drive.  The problem is that it makes me very irritable.  There is no doubt it is the boron as I have tested it many times, both alone and in combination with other supplements.  So far, all of the purported testosterone boosting supplements that I have tried have caused a similar aggression/irritability.

I just quit it myself. I checked my hair test results and found out that I was actually high last time. Not too smart I know...

Tropicaldaze

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2016, 11:33:53 am »
EH, et al,

I experienced both the short lived increase in libido/erectile function using Swanson Triple Boron Complex when I used it a few years ago and also experienced  irritability. Have used it on and off when I get frustrated by my situation and it does kick things up but the irritability/hyper feeling also appears.  I also got that using a PDE-5 inhibitor that my uro prescribed.  Actually went into a moderate manic episode.  With bipolar illness, I have to be ever so careful, so it's trading off keeping my mood under control versus  now and then or no libido/erectile function.  Sigh.

There's a video of a lecture on YouTube given at a dental convention by Dr. Jorge Flechas M.D. of Hendersonville, NC, who is an expert on boron.  Quite informative.
65 y.o., 5'5", 138lbs.
Complex medical history: treatment resistant ultra rapid cycling bipolar illness, history of thyroid and adrenal problems. ED/libido problems since 2010.  Restoring my physical health has been, and remains, a daunting challenge.

ghce

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2016, 11:47:08 pm »
EH, et al,

I experienced both the short lived increase in libido/erectile function using Swanson Triple Boron Complex when I used it a few years ago and also experienced  irritability. Have used it on and off when I get frustrated by my situation and it does kick things up but the irritability/hyper feeling also appears.  I also got that using a PDE-5 inhibitor that my uro prescribed.  Actually went into a moderate manic episode.  With bipolar illness, I have to be ever so careful, so it's trading off keeping my mood under control versus  now and then or no libido/erectile function.  Sigh.

There's a video of a lecture on YouTube given at a dental convention by Dr. Jorge Flechas M.D. of Hendersonville, NC, who is an expert on boron.  Quite informative.

Watched the video, interesting to see his thoughts at the end of the video  regarding dosage levels in comparison to what is available via the usual supplement companies which is 3 mg as opposed to his view of 30 to 75mg per day
2014 Androderm Patches
2014-2016 Oral Andriol 160mg Daily
June 2016 Clomid/Serophene 12.5mg EOD
September 2016 no TRT all natural and supplements for the time being
February 2017 Testosterone cream 100mg daily

Sept 2016
Testosterone   8.2 nmol/l   9-38
Free Testosterone   239 pmol/l   L   250-800
SHBG:  14    nmol/L   9-60
Free Androgen index   586   >400
Oestradiol    112   pmol/L    <190
LH    2.6 IU/L Adult male   2 - 9 IU/L
FSH  1.4 IU/L Adult male L2 - 12 IU/L

22 November
T 6.8  nmol/L ( 9-38 ) L

March 2017
Testosterone:   45.0  nmol/L ( 9-38 ) H ( 1,323 ng/dl )
Free Testosterone:   1512  pmol/L ( 250-800 ) H
SHBG:   17  nmol/L ( 9-60 )
Plasma IGF-1:   227 ug/L ( 55-198 ) H
Plasma cortisol:   434 nmol/L ( 0600-1000 hrs 170-500 nmol/L )
HbA1c:   36 mmol/mol ( 20-40 )
LH:   <0.1 IU/L
FSH:   0.1 IU/L
DHT Plasma Dihydrotestosterone:   7455   pmol/L ( 223 ng/dl ) 
Reference Range Adult males  1000-6000 pmol/L

EH

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2016, 12:25:16 am »
Watched the video, interesting to see his thoughts at the end of the video  regarding dosage levels in comparison to what is available via the usual supplement companies which is 3 mg as opposed to his view of 30 to 75mg per day

I would probably end up in jail if I took 75mg in one day.  I can't fathom how aggressive/irritable I might become.  It's "good" to hear that other people have the irritable effect as well, at least I know it's not just me.  I think I'll just stick to drinking fresh-squeezed apple juice and trying to get my boron from that for now.  I have tried boric acid, calcium borogluconate, and a chelated boron product.  I never tried Borax.
Age 40
5'8" 145lbs

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2016, 12:25:16 am »