Quantcast

Author Topic: Dr. Shippen's Lab for Cortisol  (Read 4988 times)

davie12

• View Profile
Dr. Shippen's Lab for Cortisol
« on: September 10, 2013, 11:13:47 am »
I'd thought I'd update this thread with some relevant information in case it helps any of you. I believe I mentioned in another thread that Dr Shippen recommends Rhein Consulting Labs for a 24 hr cortisol test. I'm not quite ready to use them yet but went ahead and got my ducks in a row. I got the primary care out of network referral. So far I've been getting these out of network referrals for other services that are out of network (physician visit, labwork, etc.) and paying them up front and them submitting them online through a claims system to my HMO. It turns out the test is $225 and I was told it also includes analysis of other metabolites related to cortisol. I was also told that urine & blood can provide some basis of comparison. So, for example, if I get DHEA-S tested via blood at LabCorp around the same time as cortisol at Rhein, it would be comparable enough to provide a good picture as to what's going on in my adrenal system. I don't know the science behind this, but this is what they told me. Thought this info might be a useful update to this thread.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 01:47:40 pm by PeakT »
Recovering from adrenal fatigue through Paleo diet+exercise+vitamins/supplements; formerly used HCG & Clomid at various dosages

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Dr. Shippen's Lab for Cortisol
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 01:48:48 pm »
I'd thought I'd update this thread with some relevant information in case it helps any of you. I believe I mentioned in another thread that Dr Shippen recommends Rhein Consulting Labs for a 24 hr cortisol test. I'm not quite ready to use them yet but went ahead and got my ducks in a row. I got the primary care out of network referral. So far I've been getting these out of network referrals for other services that are out of network (physician visit, labwork, etc.) and paying them up front and them submitting them online through a claims system to my HMO. It turns out the test is $225 and I was told it also includes analysis of other metabolites related to cortisol. I was also told that urine & blood can provide some basis of comparison. So, for example, if I get DHEA-S tested via blood at LabCorp around the same time as cortisol at Rhein, it would be comparable enough to provide a good picture as to what's going on in my adrenal system. I don't know the science behind this, but this is what they told me. Thought this info might be a useful update to this thread.

Thx for the info.  So, out of curiosity, why can't you just get it all done at LabCorp? 
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 01:48:48 pm »

Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 02:31:16 pm »
Have you ever approached him about salivary tests?   ZRT labs is pretty good IMO

Davie,  btw I am finding out that compromised adrenal function can impact the success of TRT so it will be interesting to see if Shippen addresses this with you.   Or since you are on HCG mono maybe not an issue? 

davie12

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 03:12:39 pm »

Thx for the info.  So, out of curiosity, why can't you just get it all done at LabCorp?

Shippen said the Rhein Labs urine test is the gold standard. Basically, I'm a Dr Shippen groupie, and if he says that's the best place to get it tested, I believe him.  ;) I don't think LabCorp does the Cortisol test as a urine test but I'm not certain and didn't even bother to check. I would like to continue the rest of my bloodwork at LabCorp as it is in network and covered 100% by my HMO. For Rhein, there will be a partial reimbursement similar to Shippen's office visit (incidentally, Shippen's bill looks to be around 60-65% covered although I haven't been paid yet).
Recovering from adrenal fatigue through Paleo diet+exercise+vitamins/supplements; formerly used HCG & Clomid at various dosages

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 03:12:39 pm »

davie12

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 03:23:13 pm »
Have you ever approached him about salivary tests?   ZRT labs is pretty good IMO

Davie,  btw I am finding out that compromised adrenal function can impact the success of TRT so it will be interesting to see if Shippen addresses this with you.   Or since you are on HCG mono maybe not an issue?

Sam, I believe he didn't like salivary tests but unfortunately I didn't find out why. There was too much going on when I met with him. I'll take note to find that out whenever I consult with him next (via telephone).

I'm on HCG mono and supplements so no TRT. Actually, Shippen philosophically believes in doing everything he can to get your system producing its own hormones so he pretty much uses TRT if everything else fails. Symptomatically, I am sleeping extremely well now, getting sleepy at the perfect time (ie. 10-11pm), sleeping through the night and feeling alert/awake during the day. I'm hoping that's a good sign of adrenal healing. I believe the DHEA production is lagging behind and I'm hoping that various metabolism boosting strategies (diet, HIIT, supplements, frequency of eating, etc.) will maximize that as well. Shippen's pharmacy that I use for the sublingual Arimidex does a compounded Pregnenolone/DHEA transdermal and I spoke to one of the pharmacists about it. I'm interested in pursuing that further and learning more about it, so I will pass on anything I find out to you.

Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 07:15:33 pm »
Thanks Davie,

Sounds somewhat like Dr. Shames philosophy, although I dont think Shames has nearly as much experience in Mens Health although I could be wrong. I wonder if Shippen cane out of an adrenal or thyroid background?

The field of how adrenal fatigue and andropause are inter-related is extremely under represented and difficult to find info on.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 09:09:05 pm »
Actually, Shippen philosophically believes in doing everything he can to get your system producing its own hormones so he pretty much uses TRT if everything else fails.

Wow.  Very interesting...
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

davie12

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 07:20:32 am »
Thanks Davie,

Sounds somewhat like Dr. Shames philosophy, although I dont think Shames has nearly as much experience in Mens Health although I could be wrong. I wonder if Shippen cane out of an adrenal or thyroid background?

The field of how adrenal fatigue and andropause are inter-related is extremely under represented and difficult to find info on.

You'll find this real interesting. Dr Shippen is basically a family doctor...a generalist. He practices in a semi-rural part of PA. This hormone part of his practice is something he fell into, and now people all over the world are flying in to see him and he has been acknowledged as an expert. When I was leaving the office, I was talking to his practice administrator and she told me that a patient had just flown in from Turkey.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 08:29:21 am »
Davie has some int'g comments about Shippen's HCG protocol and philosophy.  I split them out here:

http://peaktestosterone.com/forum/index.php?topic=2233.0

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 08:29:21 am »