Quantcast

Author Topic: It really works – zinc is a T-booster  (Read 8170 times)

rhodesian

• View Profile
It really works – zinc is a T-booster
« on: September 13, 2013, 05:33:59 pm »
The researchers published their first results in Neuroendocrinology Letters in 2006. These came from an animal study in which they had given male rats daily injections of 3 mg zinc per kg bodyweight in the small intestine. The course of injections lasted for four weeks. At the end of the period the researchers got the animals to swim for thirty minutes.

A control group of rats also swam, but had not been given extra zinc. Yet another control group did nothing at all. The researchers then measured the rats’ testosterone level immediately after completing the swimming test.

The physical activity led to a decrease of the testosterone level – but not in the animals that had been given extra zinc. The lactic acid level of this group of rats also rose by less than that of the rats that swam but had not been given zinc. The researchers suspect that the body uses large amounts of zinc during physical exercise and that, as a result, other body processes that generate energy or produce hormones are hampered. Zinc is needed in these processes as well.

"Physiological doses of zinc supplementation may produce useful outcomes for performance", the researchers conclude. But rats aren’t humans, so the researchers followed up with an experiment on human subjects: ten male students with an average age of 20 who had a sedentary lifestyle. The results of this study appeared a year after the animal study results. They were published in the same journal, by the way. [Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2007 Oct;28(5):681-5.]

The students were given a daily dose of 3 mg zinc sulphate per kg bodyweight for a period of four weeks. That’s a lot of zinc. If you weigh 80 kg you'd be getting get 240 mg zinc per day [appr. 80 mg elemental zinc]. That’s more than ten times the daily amount of zinc recommended by nutritionists.

After four weeks on the supplements, the students had to cycle to exhaustion point on an ergometer, pedalling harder as the test progressed. The researchers also got the students to perform the same test when they had not been stuffed full of zinc. The figure below shows the effect of the zinc supplement on the testosterone level.

The effect on free testosterone is particularly striking. At rest the level was fifty percent higher than normal, and this increased after the exhaustion test. In the control group the free testosterone level went down by about twenty percent after the cycling test.

The zinc supplement had a similar, but less marked, effect on the concentration of thyroxine. Levels of this hormone increased by about ten percent in the students that had taken zinc. The supplement did not prevent the concentrations of T3 and T4 from declining as a result of physical exertion. We know that athletes react differently to supplements and diets than non-athletes do. And the researchers have also done tests with athletes. More about these in the next posting.

Source:
Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2006 Feb-Apr; 27(1-2):267-70.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 05:38:43 pm by rhodesian »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: It really works – zinc is a T-booster
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 09:53:53 pm »
Okay, but question for you:

The studies on zinc have been mixed.  Some show an increase and some don't

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/zinc_zma.aspx

What's your take on that?
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 09:53:53 pm »

rhodesian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 06:57:09 am »
You´re right, PeakT... Since its launch, the ZMA has been involved in many controversies, whether it works or not ... Anyway, I have always been amazed how popular became this supplement, being simply zinc, magnesium and B6 ... But I must recognized that they were the first to patent this mix...

The problem with the original ZMA, IMHO, is the quality of the minerals included in the formula ... Starting with the zinc, it is a mixture of aspartate and monomethionine, NOT being the best absorbable forms available today... And the same with magnesium: ZMA formula includes magnesium aspartate ... The absorption of the aspartates is regular and we must also remember that too much aspartic acid is neurotoxic...

With all this I say probably ZMA is poorly absorbed in many men, and that would explain that do not give the expected results...

Anyway, pay attention to the amount used in the study: appr. 80 mg elemental zinc... This is a MEGA dose, which is not considered safe for long-term; yes maybe for a couple of weeks...

In all my posts, I always try to emphasize the vital importance of choosing the best effective forms of vitamins and minerals... For example, magnesium oxide -the most used form in multivitamins- was found to be virtually insoluble in water (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2407766)...

If any of you want to try the ZMA combo, just try buying the ingredients separately, in the best form available:
Zinc: the most bioavailable form is L-OptiZinc Monomethionine...
Magnesium: choose between Malate, Orotate, Glycinate
B6: as Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate
(you could also try adding Boron to the mix, as it has always been considered an excellent magnesium cofactor)

In my case, I take an extra zinc capsule on days I workout and/or have sex...

Maybe the right thing is to say that zinc is not a t-booster per se, but a vital mineral used in the body for the proper production of testosterone and that also controls estrogen (limits DHEA in males to be turned into estrogen)... But I think that has always been considered a t-booster because the vast majority of men, especially those who train regularly and/or have an active sex life- are deficient in zinc...

In summary, I believe that zinc is the best way to optimize our own production of testosterone and the first thing should be that: reach out our natural potential, and only then think about potent boosters to achieve new T levels...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 03:25:34 pm by rhodesian »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 02:58:25 pm »
Gotcha.  Nicely stated...
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 02:58:25 pm »

rhodesian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 03:23:22 pm »
Starting Monday, I will be your guinea pig, folks :D... I'll try this mega dose (3 caps of L-OptiZinc = 90mg of elemental zinc) for about a week and then I´ll tell you if I get any progress in the gym...

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 05:00:43 pm »
Starting Monday, I will be your guinea pig, folks :D... I'll try this mega dose (3 caps of L-OptiZinc = 90mg of elemental zinc) for about a week and then I´ll tell you if I get any progress in the gym...

Hey, you know that too much zinc can hammer your neurons, right?

And possibly lead to copper depletion?

No one knows when that could happen but you're at 6X the AI/RDA there...

rhodesian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 05:38:45 pm »
Yeah, I know that, Peak... The one I take includes 300mcg of copper per capsule, to offset any depletion...

The neurons issue is something you could get, right, but in the medium-long term... Besides that, I´ll try while working out intensely; something that eats out lot of zinc...

Thanks anyway for worry about my health :-)

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 09:08:34 am »
Yeah, I know that, Peak... The one I take includes 300mcg of copper per capsule, to offset any depletion...

Are you sure that will work?  I always heard that zinc and copper often compete or inhibit absorption.  For example, check this out:

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/115/2/159.full.pdf
"Copper and Zinc Absorption in the Rat: Mechanism
of Mutual Antagonism1"

"The higher copper concentrations in the perfusate increased zinc accumulation in mucosal cells and decreased the zinc transferred to the portal perfusate at the highest
luminal zinc concentration. These data indicate that a competition and/or inhibition
of a pathway for zinc out of the mucosal cell occurs at high luminal copper con
centrations. High luminal zinc concentrations in the perfusate decreased the copper concentration in the mucosal cell cytosol and the amount transferred to the portal effluent. These results taken together indicate that a competition and/or inhibition of copper or zinc uptake into intestinal cells occurs when the luminal concentration of
the respective congener is very high.'

raym

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 09:46:27 am »
So, I mentioned before in another thread that my current compounded test is 200mg/ml of test and 2mg/ml zinc.  I inject .25ml twice a week, so I'm getting 1mg of zinc a week IM.  I'm not sure how this correlates with oral zinc, so can't comment on dosage...but I will say that after 7 weeks on this regime I have not perceived any real difference.

Ray

rhodesian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 11:29:02 am »
Peak,

I need to find a little more information, but so far I have understood that the form of L-Optizinc (not just Optizinc, but with the "L"), does not produce such interference/competition with copper... Another advantage to choose this patented form of zinc over the others...

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 12:56:35 pm »
Peak,

I need to find a little more information, but so far I have understood that the form of L-Optizinc (not just Optizinc, but with the "L"), does not produce such interference/competition with copper... Another advantage to choose this patented form of zinc over the others...

Gotcha.  Let us know what you find out.

JackAndy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 01:58:59 am »
Any suggestions on a form of zinc which doesn't cause nausea?
5'11" 190 lbs
150mg Test-E/week

rhodesian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 08:04:29 am »
JackAndy,

You should try with L-OptiZinc, the most bioavailable form today, taken on an empty stomach.

There are not many brands that include it, so PM and I'll share them.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 09:50:06 am by rhodesian »

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 08:04:29 am »