Quantcast

Author Topic: Testosterone shots and other questions  (Read 4205 times)

jaggu

• View Profile
Testosterone shots and other questions
« on: September 25, 2013, 04:18:24 pm »
Hello,

I am 28 years old. Male. My blood test results came back as follows:
DHT – 468 pg/ml
Testosterone – 523 ng/dl
TSH – 1.530

A month later, I got these tests done:
Testosterone – 683 ng/dl
Estradiol – 33 pg/ml

My issue is less facial hair. I have a good mustache and good hair growth on my chin and a thin line along my jawline. But I don’t have hair on my cheeks. To try to get more facial hair, the doctor I consulted suggested I go for testosterone injections for a few months or to go for a DHT cream. I am inclined to go for Testosterone injections. What do you think?

Are my tests results alright? Is my estradiol a little high? I am afraid I have started developing small breasts. Also, mood Swings and fatigue are a commonplace. Can the high-ish estradiol be the reason for my bear not growing?

Please advice.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Testosterone shots and other questions
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 04:36:37 pm »
Hello,

I am 28 years old. Male. My blood test results came back as follows:
DHT – 468 pg/ml
Testosterone – 523 ng/dl
TSH – 1.530

A month later, I got these tests done:
Testosterone – 683 ng/dl
Estradiol – 33 pg/ml

My issue is less facial hair. I have a good mustache and good hair growth on my chin and a thin line along my jawline. But I don’t have hair on my cheeks. To try to get more facial hair, the doctor I consulted suggested I go for testosterone injections for a few months or to go for a DHT cream. I am inclined to go for Testosterone injections. What do you think?

Are my tests results alright? Is my estradiol a little high? I am afraid I have started developing small breasts. Also, mood Swings and fatigue are a commonplace. Can the high-ish estradiol be the reason for my bear not growing?

Please advice.

I believe the facial hair is mostly a function of DHT.  But I have a question:  why do you want more facial hair if you don't mind me asking? 

Now here is my experience:  when I went on HRT and boosted my testosterone levels significantly I grew a) some hair on my face but nothing new, b) quite a bit of new hair on my stomach, c) grew some weird new hairs on my shoulder and arms.  Furthermore, HRT seemed to acclerate my male pattern baldness a bit.  That's hard to prove.

So here is what I am getting at.  If you go on HRT, being a young guy, you will do the following:

1.  (Probably) make yourself infertile.
2.  You may get a little shrinkage of the testes
3.  You may not get that much facial hair growth but a lot of hair growth on other parts of your body
4.  A small percentage feel like me that it accelerates hair loss on the head
5.  You will spend money and time.

Now I just don't see that as worth it myself.  You have to discuss it with your doc of course and weigh the pros/cons.

And let me ask you a few important questions:

1.  Have you been checked for varicocele?
2.  Are you overweight?
3.  Have you had your Vitamin D tested?

Correcting all of the above (if there is an issue) can give you some significant testosterone gains and pull you up into much better territory.

One other thing:

You may want to get your free testosterone/SHBG pulled.  Since you're kind of borderline for a young guy, if your free T is low, then you may have more problems.  Let me know if that makes sense or not.

Your last reading is on the low side for your age, but you can't go by one reading.  Testosterone fluctuates with things like stress and sleep.  You did have it pulled first thing in the morning right?

Here are some "normal" numbers by age:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Testosterone_Levels_Male
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 04:36:37 pm »

jaggu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 05:25:32 pm »
Thanks for your super quick reply.

I believe the facial hair is mostly a function of DHT.  But I have a question:  why do you want more facial hair if you don't mind me asking? 
It's just the looks. I am not satisfied with the amount of facial hair I have now. I believe I will look better with more facial hair. Dark skin under the nose just doesn't look nice.

1.  Have you been checked for varicocele?
Its intresting you bring this up. I hadn't heard of this before.
It is interesting is because I had a self inflicted trauma on one of my testicles when I was small. This caused one of my testicle to slightly break apart/ elongate. The doctor had a FSH test done for this which came out normal.

How does one get checked for it? The doctor did fondle my balls!(the cheeky bastard :P).

2.  Are you overweight?
Although I do not have a atheletic build, I am not over weight either. No, I am 5'10 and weigh 66KG. I do have a pretty stubborn pot belly.

3.  Have you had your Vitamin D tested?
No, not yet. How is Vitamin D related to my case?

You may want to get your free testosterone/SHBG pulled.  Since you're kind of borderline for a young guy, if your free T is low, then you may have more problems.  Let me know if that makes sense or not.
Actually, it doesn't. I have listed all the problems I have.

Your last reading is on the low side for your age, but you can't go by one reading.  Testosterone fluctuates with things like stress and sleep.  You did have it pulled first thing in the morning right?
Here are some "normal" numbers by age:
http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Testosterone_Levels_Male
I had the last reading done in the afternoon and I didn't sleep that night either(My sleep pattern is awry).
Thanks for the link for the normal range of T. If I may say so, I find that I hit the "average" amount of T right in the middle in the last test.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 06:19:10 pm »
Okay, if you had the 523 pulled in the afternoon, then your morning testosterone was probably 15-20% higher.  In other words, that read was probably very similar to your 680 read.  So I really doubt that you would get much benefit by going on HRT as your testosterone is pretty good.

Example:  my clinic tries to take you to about a 900 average testosterone.  That's just not that much higher than you are right now.

And, again, it's not like it is going to grow new follicles on your face as far as I know.  It basically will just stimulate your existing follicles to grow faster.

Maybe some of the other guys will chime in with different stories though.

And listen:  don't worry about your lip color.  Just get rid of that visceral fat, brush up on your humor, be a decent person and get a good job and suddenly you'll like Brad Pitt to most girls out there.  At least you'll stand out over 90% of the other guys out there!  (That's my Dr. Phil advice for the day and, yes, it's all free...)

If you're deficient in Vitamin D, you can get a 30% boost potentially:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Testosterone_Vitamin-D

One of the other guys knows a lot about varicoceles, so I'll let him chime in.  But get a second opinion on that!  You would be surprised:  if you go to ten doctors, you'll probably get 7 different answers!  I like docs, so that's not a criticism.  But I'm just pointing out that a lot of times, it's all how you slice the data.

And if you lose that gut - let's say you are 30 pounds overweight, you'll probably boost your T another 150 ng/dl.  (That's just a guess - very rough.)  And you'll lower your estradiol nicely as well, boosting your T/E2 ratio!

So don't let the pot belly stubborn.  You be stubborn!
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 06:19:10 pm »

jaggu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 11:48:57 pm »
I am sorry but I think I misunderstood when you asked me about my last test. Lost in translation I guess.
Just to clarify,

The 523 one was pulled in the morning
(I clearly remember my sleep pattern was awry; i remember masturbating at night)

and the 683 in the afternoon.

Example:  my clinic tries to take you to about a 900 average testosterone.  That's just not that much higher than you are right now.

And, again, it's not like it is going to grow new follicles on your face as far as I know.  It basically will just stimulate your existing follicles to grow faster.
i do have quite a few vellus hairs where my beard should have been. Maybe they need a gentle push. Mind you I am still seeing new hair growth though it is sparse and not very often.

And listen:  don't worry about your lip color.  Just get rid of that visceral fat, brush up on your humor, be a decent person and get a good job and suddenly you'll like Brad Pitt to most girls out there.  At least you'll stand out over 90% of the other guys out there!  (That's my Dr. Phil advice for the day and, yes, it's all free...)
Thank you for your kind advice.
I am talking about the mustache. Even if I shave, that area is darker and the rest of my skin looks a baby's virgin skin. I am very fair. So, that looks crappy.

If you're deficient in Vitamin D, you can get a 30% boost potentially:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Testosterone_Vitamin-D
Did not know this! Ty. Although the research into Vitamin D affecting Testosterone is not enough, I suspect I am not getting enough of it anyway. I'll start on some supplements on a small scale.

One of the other guys knows a lot about varicoceles, so I'll let him chime in.  But get a second opinion on that!  You would be surprised:  if you go to ten doctors, you'll probably get 7 different answers!  I like docs, so that's not a criticism.  But I'm just pointing out that a lot of times, it's all how you slice the data.
You really think so? I suppose from the very brief read up I managed, varicoceles, affects fertility. Since the tests were fine, is there any risk?
I will get a second opinion too.
Since you have a limited knowledge about this topic, I'll wait for the said someone to answer this if they want to.

And if you lose that gut - let's say you are 30 pounds overweight, you'll probably boost your T another 150 ng/dl.  (That's just a guess - very rough.)  And you'll lower your estradiol nicely as well, boosting your T/E2 ratio!
So don't let the pot belly stubborn.  You be stubborn!
That is promising :) I did managed to get rid of it after a few months of rigorous exercise. The little shit is back after 2-3 months of absolutely no exercise and gorging on foods.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 05:41:41 am »
Gotcha.  Hey, you can get a Vitamin D test as part of your physical almost for sure.  So just get the number pulled.

Also, just taking a little won't do much.  I take 2500 IU per day and it bumped me up to about 57 (25-hyrdoxy) if I remember right which is where I want to be.

I'm just mentioning it, because if you take 400 IU, which many supplements are still that low, it likely won't change your levels appreciably.

But dont' guess - get the number imo...

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 05:41:41 am »