Quantcast

Author Topic: Senior, Overweight with Low T  (Read 15898 times)

Advocate777

• View Profile
Senior, Overweight with Low T
« on: September 27, 2013, 06:34:50 pm »
I am 55 years old. Just had blood work done. Testosterone is low - started working out again- cant seem to make progress losing weight- my weight is up to 235 (I am only 5'5") body fat    Percentage 33 percent-
Tired and feeling old.
Am going onto an 'age management' doc on oct. 1st.
I am optimistic-
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 01:38:13 pm by PeakT »
135 mg weekly Testosterone injection
Started TRT Oct. 2013

werdisback

• View Profile
Re: Senior, Overweight with Low T
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 09:24:16 pm »
I am 55 years old. Just had blood work done. Testosterone is low - started working out again- cant seem to make progress losing weight- my weight is up to 235 (I am only 5'5") body fat    Percentage 33 percent-
Tired and feeling old.
Am going onto an 'age management' doc on oct. 1st.
I am optimistic-

You can lose fat... even with low test. I'm evidence of that. I've dropped 22-23  pounds just by calorie deficit and exericse alone over 3 months, lost 5.2 inches of my gut and and around 8-10% body fat . You could probably up your testosterone by 50-60% just with dietary adjustments and weight loss. You're well above 30% body fat at your weight. If you come in around 300-500 testosterone, you could probably reverse most of it by dropping 15-16% body fat.  Just becareful if the doc offers yout TRT or HCG.  Your problem might just be weight.  If you have borderline testosterone scores, you might still be able to reverse it. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 01:38:55 pm by PeakT »

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 09:24:16 pm »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 01:08:54 am »
He's right:  you will almost for sure get a nice boost in T and a nice drop in estradiol as well.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 01:39:06 pm by PeakT »
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Advocate777

• View Profile
Test Results
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 03:54:19 pm »
Thanks- just got my test results back. I am going to the age management doc tomorrow. He does all the testosterone, diet change, human growth hormone, exercise program.
I have had symptoms of fatigue and lack of concentration and some depression. Also, erectile dysfunction. I have been working out aerobically but cant seem to lose the weight. I used to have no problem dropping weight before I turned 50.
Anyway, here are the blood numbers:

Testosterone Total: 396 (test says 250-1100 is norm)
Free Testosterone: 49.9 (test says 35-155 is norm)
Dihydrotestosterone: 13 (test says 16-79 is norm
Estradiol: 33

Not sure what that all means, hormone-wise.

Any feedback?

also, my triglycerides are high and my good cholesterol is low
Started TRT Oct. 2013

Peak Testosterone Forum

Test Results
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 03:54:19 pm »

werdisback

• View Profile
Re: Test Results
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 04:22:20 pm »
Thanks- just got my test results back. I am going to the age management doc tomorrow. He does all the testosterone, diet change, human growth hormone, exercise program.
I have had symptoms of fatigue and lack of concentration and some depression. Also, erectile dysfunction. I have been working out aerobically but cant seem to lose the weight. I used to have no problem dropping weight before I turned 50.

Any feedback?

You should check your SHBG just to be sure, I can't really give you an opinion before you do. Other than that... you look like you have a fairly good chance of improving your testosteorne, since your testosterone seems to be mostly weight-related. Your Total testosteorne is borderline low and you're qute obese for someone at your height, your FT and DI is low too. You stand a good chance to increase your testosterone up to 600 ng/dl at the very least. Cut down 85 pounds and retest, it should definitely give you back your energy. Your FT and DI should increase aswell. It's going to be difficult, as you age your metabolism lowers. I'd advise you to start a weight-loss regime, kick your nasty habits(smoking, junk food, drinking), start weight-lifting(should also increase your BMR. I'd say your hormones survived quite well for someone at your age and weight.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 04:23:55 pm by werdisback »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Test Results
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 05:52:19 pm »

Any feedback?

High triglycerides and low HDL usually means you have the beginnings of insulin resistance.  To correct this, you must a) exercise, b) lose weight and c) eat only low glycemic carbs.  Insulin resistance will hammer your arteries, erections and brain if you let it go on long enough. 

Your testosterone is low, but personally I would try to boost your T up through weight loss as werdisback mentioned. HRT is a lot of time and money and tweaking and you could easily end up with much higher testosterone levels post-weight loss.

Discuss with your doc of course.  Also, remember that low testosterone raises insulin levels, so this is exacerbating your problem.
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Advocate777

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 04:29:07 am »
Thanks- my SHBG is 32.
Anyway, am going to the doc today with all the blood work results he ordered.
So, in a nutshell, I have:

221 trigycerides
32 HDL Cholesterol
My Hemoglobin Alc is 5.7
Glucose is 101

Weight: 235 and have been gaining for past 5 years. 2 years ago exercised and did vegetarian and quickly got down to 215.
Before that, I was 200 from say, age 45 to 50 with some dips to 190-195 when exercised.
Beer drinking and stress increased a lot from age 50 to 55 along with weight.
My cortisol is 17.2

The test also came back low in total Vitamin D at 22

So, I am feeling depressed and fatigued.
Just joined a gym again-
Am hoping for testosterone because I need to get a 'push' energy wise to persevere with the exercise.
Hat cut down quite a bit on beer drinking going from 2-3 times a week down to once or twice a month. But when I do drink I can easily consume a six-pack.

So, wish me luck -- I really need a breakthrough and want to start feeling better- this weight gain and ED started around age 48 and then accelerated between age 50 to now at age 55.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 01:39:33 pm by PeakT »
Started TRT Oct. 2013

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 04:42:25 am »
Thanks- my SHBG is 32.
Anyway, am going to the doc today with all the blood work results he ordered.
So, in a nutshell, I have:

221 trigycerides
32 HDL Cholesterol
My Hemoglobin Alc is 5.7
Glucose is 101

Weight: 235 and have been gaining for past 5 years. 2 years ago exercised and did vegetarian and quickly got down to 215.
Before that, I was 200 from say, age 45 to 50 with some dips to 190-195 when exercised.
Beer drinking and stress increased a lot from age 50 to 55 along with weight.
My cortisol is 17.2

The test also came back low in total Vitamin D at 22

So, I am feeling depressed and fatigued.
Just joined a gym again-
Am hoping for testosterone because I need to get a 'push' energy wise to persevere with the exercise.
Hat cut down quite a bit on beer drinking going from 2-3 times a week down to once or twice a month. But when I do drink I can easily consume a six-pack.

So, wish me luck -- I really need a breakthrough and want to start feeling better- this weight gain and ED started around age 48 and then accelerated between age 50 to now at age 55.

Well, let me give you a little encouragement cuzz we're just about the same age.  If you lose that weight and also exercise and get a good diet going, you will almost for sure be a new man in a year.  That may seem like a long time, but you're probably going to have to get that weight down and that's for most guys a long and tough process.  But you can do it.  Once you do, you've got an incredible life ahead of you where you can almost for sure feel like you did when you were in your 30's.

But don't wait.  if you wait too long, you'll build up with too much arteriosclerosis, DNA and telomere damage to where you're just trying to survive at that point.  And that's if a heart attack or stroke doesn't completely take you out of commission.

My favorite diets are Low Fat, Mediterranean and vegetarian as these have great study results behind them imo:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/ornish_diet

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/med

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/testosterone_vegetarian

Sound like you're already familiar with the latter.

A Paleo Diet, if done correctly, should also produce reasonable results, but I'm not convinced it will do well in the colon cancer/arteriosclerosis department.  Time will tell.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 01:39:43 pm by PeakT »

Advocate777

• View Profile
Re: Have my first appointment on Oct. 1
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 01:48:10 pm »
Thanks so much - will report on what the doc says after my appointment today.
Started TRT Oct. 2013

Advocate777

• View Profile
Re: Have my first appointment on Oct. 1. - results
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 02:28:55 am »
Had my appointment today-
Without going int all the details and tests... The doctor was very concerned about my metabolic situation. He said that I was basically diabetic and at risk for heart attack/stroke...... All because of the weight. He wants me to do 45 minutes aerobic and 30 minutes weight training. He wants me to have 1200 calories a day until some breakthrough with the weight.
He prescribed:
160 mg testosterone cypionate injection every week. He gave me my first shot.
DHEA 50 mg twice a day
Zinc Citrate 50 mg daily
Alpha lipoid acid 400 mg daily
Cholecalciferol vitamin D3 2,00 unit -3 tablets a day for a week then drop to 2 for 3 weeks then drop to 1 daily.
Anastrazole 1 mg - take 1/3rd tablet three times a week

I'm on my way -- what do you think about his prescriptions?
Started TRT Oct. 2013

jinNE

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 02:41:56 am »
It seems like a good plan from what I can tell. I do 160 a week test also, and DHEA and high doses of D3. I don't do the others, but I take CoQ10 and fish oil.

I just had my follow-up and my doc just returned from an "anti-aging" conference. He said most docs aren't going past the 160 mark very often, so you are starting at a big dose.

I look forward to my lab results later this week - I'm feeling better than I've felt in years and finally feeling like I'm stabilizing! :) It's taken a year, so all I can see is STICK WITH IT and know it won't be easy - there WILL be times you wonder if it's worth the effort, but it really, truly is.

PS: Do all that you can within reason to lose that weight! The test alone won't do much for you if with the extra weight, and you will probably struggle with aromatization issues...

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Have my first appointment on Oct. 1. - results
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 03:38:38 am »
Had my appointment today-
Without going int all the details and tests... The doctor was very concerned about my metabolic situation. He said that I was basically diabetic and at risk for heart attack/stroke...... All because of the weight. He wants me to do 45 minutes aerobic and 30 minutes weight training. He wants me to have 1200 calories a day until some breakthrough with the weight.
He prescribed:
160 mg testosterone cypionate injection every week. He gave me my first shot.
DHEA 50 mg twice a day
Zinc Citrate 50 mg daily
Alpha lipoid acid 400 mg daily
Cholecalciferol vitamin D3 2,00 unit -3 tablets a day for a week then drop to 2 for 3 weeks then drop to 1 daily.
Anastrazole 1 mg - take 1/3rd tablet three times a week

I'm on my way -- what do you think about his prescriptions?

First of all, I think your doc's general advice is very good and it sounds like you have a good doc overall.  However, I do have a comments:

--ALA has a pretty short half life (3 hours) and, therefore, is usually taken 2-3 X/day.  See this study for example:

http://www.hormones.gr/~osenia62/pdf/Improvement%20of%20insulin%20sensitivity.pdf
"Improvement of insulin sensitivity in patients
with type 2 diabetes mellitus after oral administration
of alpha-lipoic acid"

Here is some good info from Dr. Weil for example:

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART03051/AlphaLipoic-Acid-ALA.html

--I don't like that much zinc myself.  I am concerned about potential neurotoxicity.  It does have great properties though when it comes to testosterone and estradiol:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/zinc_zma

--That's a beefy dose of DHEA, depending on who you talk to.  Shames, for example, likes to give 5-10 mg/day.

--I doubt he wants you to do 30 minutes of weigh training per day, right?

Yes, your triglycerides were VERY high.  Just to give you an idea:  I eat a LOT of carbs and mine are about a third of yours.  The standard guidelines for triglycerides is 150, but I think it is better to be below 100.  High triglycerides will hammer your arteries and are a sign of Metabolic Syndrome (prediabetes). 

What you want to do is eat LOW GLYCEMIC carbs, regardless of what dietary plan you choose.  You will be very sensitive to high glycemic carbs and these are largely responsible for your elevated triglycerides.

Also, please discuss with your doc before making any changes to his plan.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 03:40:55 am by PeakT »

Advocate777

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 12:45:07 am »
Thanks- maybe he just wants to start big to get things moving. Also, the prescriptions for the dosages taper after a few weeks. For instance, he has me really taking a lot of vitamin D for the first week, less the second, and even less on the third week. Blood work is scheduled after three weeks on this regimen. So, we will see what is what and tweak whatever.
Question: not sure how many days per week I should do the strength training. Like 2 or 3 max?
Started TRT Oct. 2013

Healthyagingdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 02:25:32 am »
Add some fish oil 3-4 grams a day as well as Niacin but not the flush free form along with magnesium 400mg a day and consider natural thyroid and watch your triglycerides and cholesterol markedly improve.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 03:36:15 am by PeakT »

T-Power

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 12:34:24 pm »
Doesn't it seem strange to anyone else that the doctor started him on TRT even though his low testosterone is most likely because of his unhealthy lifestyle and unfavourable body composition?

Did he tell you what the cause of your low testosterone is? Primary or secondary?

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 12:34:24 pm »