Quantcast

Author Topic: Senior, Overweight with Low T  (Read 15731 times)

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Senior, Overweight with Low T
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 01:35:26 pm »
Doesn't it seem strange to anyone else that the doctor started him on TRT even though his low testosterone is most likely because of his unhealthy lifestyle and unfavourable body composition?

Did he tell you what the cause of your low testosterone is? Primary or secondary?

Most docs do not realize how much of an increase in testosterone that you can get from dropping a lot of weight.  How many of them have read the studies that I listed here for example?

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Testosterone_Weight_Loss

Now I would expect an Age Management physician to discuss it with him, though, which is where you may have been headed.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 01:37:21 pm by PeakT »
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Advocate777

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 09:35:08 pm »
T-Power,
Maybe if I was in my thirties the doc should just say 'lose weight'. And they did, back then.
I tried through the years...but since I turned 50 I just did not have the energy to work out.
So, maybe because I am now 55 and I have 10 years of diet/exercise failures that he decided to 'jump-start' me before I croaked.
When I was younger....i could lose the weight....but after age 45 my life got more stressful (I am an attorney and have 3 children) and workouts produced less effect. Plus, my drinking really increased since age 45.
So, by the time I got to the doc last week I was burnt-out.
So, I joined a gym, and I have hope now, am taking my supplements and doing aerobics daily and have radically changed my diet and quit drinking for the past month.
So, wish me luck...I'm glad the doc put me on testosterone; I was in a desperate place physically with no energy to exercise.
Frankly, I am really optimistic for the first time in 10 years.
135 mg weekly Testosterone injection
Started TRT Oct. 2013

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 09:35:08 pm »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 09:44:59 pm »
T-Power,
Maybe if I was in my thirties the doc should just say 'lose weight'. And they did, back then.
I tried through the years...but since I turned 50 I just did not have the energy to work out.
So, maybe because I am now 55 and I have 10 years of diet/exercise failures that he decided to 'jump-start' me before I croaked.
When I was younger....i could lose the weight....but after age 45 my life got more stressful (I am an attorney and have 3 children) and workouts produced less effect. Plus, my drinking really increased since age 45.
So, I joined a gym, and I have hope now, am taking my supplements and doing aerobics daily and have radically changed my diet and quit drinking for the past month.
So, wish me luck...I'm glad the doc put me on testosterone; I was in a desperate place physically with no energy to exercise.

Well, sure, and you can make a case that increasing lowish T at your age - I'm still a very young pup at age 53 of course -  is part of a healthy anti-aging strategy.  But T-Power's point is valid:  the doc should take time to discuss all options with you.

Glad you're feeling better and, above all, congrats on the one month without drinking.  Kudos and I predict you're gonna be a new man in a year.

Hey, make sure your doc monitors your PSA, RBC/hematocrit, etc. regularly.  Keep him honest...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 04:37:05 am by PeakT »
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Advocate777

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 03:22:33 am »
Unless it is just placebo or psychological.... I just gotta say- two big symptoms I have had for months has been 'fuzzy' thinking - you know, forgetful and just not as sharp, mentally? Not good especially as a lawyer if I screw up I am liable for it. Also, this terrible fatigue which made me wake up exhausted and then super-tired after doing anything - like ready to call it a day at 2:00 and take a nap.
Okay, so when I went to the doctor on Tuesday he gives me a 160mg shot of testosterone sub cutaneous and said a weekly shot might take about 10 weeks before I might feel anything ......
So, I woke up the next day without fatigue or brain fog. Is this in my mind? How could it be? It is very real physically.
Okay, so I took all the supplements listed in previous posts and have been eating all natural whole low glycemic foods. Today, I had so much energy that I went back to the gym at night for another 45 minutes of aerobic exercise. It's amazing...
Now, I also have about 6 oz. of black coffee in the morning with a little skim milk . I took an GNC Arginmax which I know is a woman's product. Should I just take L-arginine alone and not take the Arginmax? The Arginmax has other stuff in it like some ginseng and damiana.
Also, at about 4:00 on both days I felt such a jolt of energy that it almost felt scary - like I had a 10 second anxious response like 'why do I feel so much energy?'  So, the first day I just took a long walk and today I went to the gym and exercised it away.
Do you think the significantly increased energy could all be coming from the testosternoe or do those supplements also rev you up?
I'm just not used to feeling so much energy! If this keeps up I know I will lose this darn weight!
Started TRT Oct. 2013

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 03:22:33 am »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 04:45:57 am »
Unless it is just placebo or psychological.... I just gotta say- two big symptoms I have had for months has been 'fuzzy' thinking - you know, forgetful and just not as sharp, mentally? Not good especially as a lawyer if I screw up I am liable for it. Also, this terrible fatigue which made me wake up exhausted and then super-tired after doing anything - like ready to call it a day at 2:00 and take a nap.
Okay, so when I went to the doctor on Tuesday he gives me a 160mg shot of testosterone sub cutaneous and said a weekly shot might take about 10 weeks before I might feel anything ......
So, I woke up the next day without fatigue or brain fog. Is this in my mind? How could it be? It is very real physically.
Okay, so I took all the supplements listed in previous posts and have been eating all natural whole low glycemic foods. Today, I had so much energy that I went back to the gym at night for another 45 minutes of aerobic exercise. It's amazing...
Now, I also have about 6 oz. of black coffee in the morning with a little skim milk . I took an GNC Arginmax which I know is a woman's product. Should I just take L-arginine alone and not take the Arginmax? The Arginmax has other stuff in it like some ginseng and damiana.
Also, at about 4:00 on both days I felt such a jolt of energy that it almost felt scary - like I had a 10 second anxious response like 'why do I feel so much energy?'  So, the first day I just took a long walk and today I went to the gym and exercised it away.
Do you think the significantly increased energy could all be coming from the testosternoe or do those supplements also rev you up?
I'm just not used to feeling so much energy! If this keeps up I know I will lose this darn weight!

One thing I advise on the supplements is to add one every couple of weeks.  The reason is that you want to know which one causes side effects, has positive effects, etc.  If you take them all at once, you have no idea what did what.

Yes, some of the supplements can "wire" you a little.  Ginseng can do it.

Many people on a vegetarian diet state that they most enjoy the increase energy.  I don't know if that is what you are talkinga about, but the NFL players that go vegetarian have talked about this. 

The testosterone can also make you feel overly amped.  My HRT clinic asked me this question.  It was a good question because I had been losing my temper easily and it helped when I backed down a little on the dosage.

By the way, I had a very similar overnight experience with testosterone.  Look at my sig below and you can read my story.  I always say that I literally felt "fireworks" going off in my brain after that first injection. 

T-Power

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 04:56:03 am »
T-Power,
Dropping weight is mostly diet. Exercise doesn't really burn all that many calories. It's easier to not eat/drink that 500 calories than it is to run it off.
I guess I'm looking at it from my perspective, being 26 I wouldn't want to get jabbed every week for the next 50 years so I'd give myself every chance to kick start my HPTA and hopefully avoid TRT.

In saying that, good luck with your journey and hopefully you get back to normal. If you keep up the gym work, diet and not drinking you shouldn't have a problem.

BTW are you lifting weights or cardio only? If not you really should, it's the only way to change your body composition.

Advocate777

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2013, 03:54:32 pm »
Progress report:
After two weeks of going to the gym I weighed in this morning...... I lost my first 5 pounds!
That's 5 down...45 to go!
Just a note also to say that this website is awesome and has been a big help- thanks

Started TRT Oct. 2013

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2013, 05:59:13 pm »
Progress report:
After two weeks of going to the gym I weighed in this morning...... I lost my first 5 pounds!
Just a note also to say that this website is awesome and has been a big help- thanks

Thx for the encouragement.  Spread the word is all I can say...

As u probably know, losing 5 lb in a week will nokeep happening but losing a real pound or two per week us.  So keep up the good work.

Find a pair of pants that barely fit u.  Try those on in2 to 3 weeks. That's the acid test.

werdisback

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2013, 06:06:05 pm »
Progress report:

some of that is water weight. Also if you're 5.5 you need to cut more than 50 pounds. Just saying.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2013, 06:10:18 pm »
Werdisback has been dropping the pounds also. 

Advocate777

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2013, 02:01:18 pm »
Update: I have been going to the gym every morning. Doing 50-60 minutes daily aerobic on elliptical. Weight training 2x a week.
Second week on HRT.
Radically changed my diet to Meditteranean plus adding the foods endorsed in PeakT's book.
I have lost 8.7 pounds. Clothes fitting better.  I feel a lot better. No more mental fog. Depression improved. I'm really encouraged and feel such hope. No six packs of beer and don't miss it. All around improvement in only a few weeks but I have been working hard with exercise and diet so I am proud of myself.
Started TRT Oct. 2013

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2013, 02:01:18 pm »