Quantcast

Author Topic: foods I can eat  (Read 26796 times)

Blade78

• View Profile
Re: foods I can eat
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2012, 02:14:10 am »
1.  You first q is difficult to definitely answer.  The studies were a) generally small, b) only certain subpopulations, c) often changed more than one variable (fat and fiber for example) and so on.  However, you can get an idea by reading this link:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/TwoFs
http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Testosterone_Diet
And here is the million dollar question:  do men who eat a lower fat diet and possibly end up with a little lower testosterone preserve their testosterone several decades longer than other men?  There is some epidemiological evidence that this is the case.  For example, let's see you eat a lower fat and lower your T from 675 to 530.  Now your T is relatively high and your endothelium is in incredible shape.  You are probably pumping out nitric oxide and avoiding arteriosclerosis and inflammation.  And best of all:  you are in good shape when you hit 70.  You probably still have testosterone close to 530 and your endothelium is doing excellent. 

In fact, you approach your wife and tell her you want to start a second family.  Of course, she slaps you so hard that you never ask that question again...

But the bottom line is no one knows the answer to an exact fat level per unit testosterone question.  You will have to that experiment yourself (which is possible with place like Life Extension, etc.)
I will go on a low low fat diet using onlyy omega 3s and see what the new blood test says when I hit 15% bodyfat

2.  Have you ever eaten a lot of lentils?  I don't think you have, but let's just say it's the equivalent of inflating your colon to about 200 psi. 
I have no idea what lentil were till you mentioned them, that's also why I asked for a produt to use ,cause I have no idea whats good/bad
3.  I use Navitas powder.  Some guys would do better with the gelatinized from due to digestive (enzyme) issues.
navitas powder for maca? I use that daily as well as take 1 or 2 NOW brand Maca pills.

4.  Well, the doc - naturopath on this board - that I am referring to has had good success with giving essential fats to his patients.  You'll have to ask him for details though.
anecdotal evidence is ancedotal.  I use a product that is tested and shown to be full of omega-3s and I know what omega-3s do in the body.

5.  The comments about vegans, with all due respect to your friend, is completely ignorant.  Mike Mahler will grab your friend and throw him/her over over a 12 foot high jump rail - he's built an incredible physique and excellent strength on a vegan-only diet and quite a few other top level athletes have done the same.  Furthermore, vegans have excellent testosterone and great mortality.  I'm not vegan, but I very much respect the results and your friend should too imo.
you are preaching to the choir!
this weight loss contest I'm in has people who dont understand why they arent losing fat.  (then it comes to light at 63inches, they are eating 1500calories(20% protein) a day...
my friend is immensly overweight and never has time to not eat.
yes NOT EAT, isnt that what dieting is?  not eating.....I explained how food is a drug and all fat people are drug addicts,,,,she's gonna try to diet.......yeah, I'm gonna try to shave...... ;)
6.  It's really too hard to evaluate individual products.  One of the reasons is that you have to decide 1) what your dietary system really is, 2) how much "cheating" you are going to allow and other similar questions.  I will say this though:
I ment
1.  I asked for your thoughts on those 2 products because I didnt see any that were obvious red flags to avoid, and thought you might
you can't evaluate a product because you dont know how much "cheating" I will do?  Im not sure what this means....
I feel like I"m at the hardware store and want to buy a pair of pliers and I show someone my tentative purchase
is this a good pair of pliers? and they look at me and say
what is your credit score?  you want to buy a pair of pliers that will do the job and not break.....

2 what is this cheating? you mean eating things not on my diet plan? if so,  how does any of that apply to telling me what brand of products you use?
what am I missing?

Imo you always want to avoid  1) excitotoxins and 2) trans fats and severely limit 3) high glycemic foods.
I try so hard to avoid transfats!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 02:19:32 am by watchntv »
“Don’t you feel good when you go to the gym?’ Not at all. There’s too many people in-shape there. When I go to McDonald’s I feel great. At McDonald’s I’m Matthew McConaughey.” --Jim Gaffigan - Mr. Universe

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2012, 01:46:51 pm »
You took cheating the wrong way there.  There's a few guys out there who never cheat and I bow before them.  But most of us cheat a little on our dietary regimens, esp. after a few months on it.  Imo what makes or breaks the person is how much he cheats on his dietary system.

For example, I eat mostly low fat, but I do cheat with occasional bursts of

1.  Dark chocolate
2.  My wife's cooking - and she's a good cook!
3.  Eating out

I don't have time to actually keep track of the above 3, but I would say they probably bump up the fat content of diet into the 15-20% range.  However, my cholesterol is still very low - well below 150, so I am not concerned over it.  Maybe I should be, but I don't think so for a variety of reasons.

Now my impression of what you've written above is that you want to occasional cheat on your low fat diet with things that are fast and easy to fix.  But maybe I didn't quite understand...
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2012, 01:46:51 pm »

Blade78

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2012, 03:27:21 pm »
You took cheating the wrong way there.  There's a few guys out there who never cheat and I bow before them.  But most of us cheat a little on our dietary regimens, esp. after a few months on it.  Imo what makes or breaks the person is how much he cheats on his dietary system.

For example, I eat mostly low fat, but I do cheat with occasional bursts of

1.  Dark chocolate
3.  Eating out

I don't have time to actually keep track of the above 3, but I would say they probably bump up the fat content of diet into the 15-20% range.  However, my cholesterol is still very low - well below 150, so I am not concerned over it.  Maybe I should be, but I don't think so for a variety of reasons.

Now my impression of what you've written above is that you want to occasional cheat on your low fat diet with things that are fast and easy to fix.  But maybe I didn't quite understand...
you seem to be thinking too much about a simple question.
I listed the ingredients because I lack the experience/knowledge you have about ingredients and I was hoping you might see a red flag or say the product looks ok to eat.
 does that product seem to fit within your critera of eating.
Oatmeal is ok, but I dont eat 34 servings of it, otherwise that would make it not ok, right?

I also dont really know what you mean by  avoiding "high glycemic foods." is there a way to know if a food is high glycemic by looking at the nutrition label?
“Don’t you feel good when you go to the gym?’ Not at all. There’s too many people in-shape there. When I go to McDonald’s I feel great. At McDonald’s I’m Matthew McConaughey.” --Jim Gaffigan - Mr. Universe

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2012, 04:28:27 pm »

I also dont really know what you mean by  avoiding "high glycemic foods." is there a way to know if a food is high glycemic by looking at the nutrition label?

Actually, what you really want to read about is "glycemic load".  Do a search on this and there is a lot of good info out there.  The classic example is this:

Carrots have a relatively high glycemic index.  However, if you eat a carrot, it will not raise your blood sugar or insulin much and that is because there aren't a lot of grams of carb in a carrot and it has a lot of fiber.  In fact, you would have to eat a bag of carrots to really spike your blood sugar and insulin.  This concept is glycemic load and I haven't really put much on it on my site simply because there is a lot of good info out there on the www.

Now white breads, sugars, white rice, corn meal, etc. are another story.  Food processors love them and consumers love to eat them, but they have a very high glycemic load and will age your tissues and lead almost all people down a road of diabetes, advanced AGE's and metabolic syndrome because they are so addictive, without fiber, etc.  As the old ad goes, "No one can eat just one."

Of course, if you are an Olympic athlete and training three hours a day, it doesn't really matter that much...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 04:32:36 pm by PeakT »
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2012, 04:28:27 pm »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2012, 04:32:10 pm »

I listed the ingredients because I lack the experience/knowledge you have about ingredients and I was hoping you might see a red flag or say the product looks ok to eat.
Oatmeal is ok, but I dont eat 34 servings of it, otherwise that would make it not ok, right?

I know why you said it.  But I guess I'm asking you to find the standard list of excitotoxins - they're easy to Google - and also read up on glycemic load.  Once you have a basic understanding of these, then you can do what I do.  (You already know a lot about trans fats I can tell). 

I warn you though: once you upon the door you can't shut it.  There are very few processed foods that I'll touch no matter how hungry I am.  I drive my kids crazy because there are very few bags of chips without excitotoxins in them and I just won't buy them - just can't do it in good conscience, especially since they have such lower levels of tissue mass/plasma, etc..  I want them to have the chance that I and my generation never had and maybe avoid all the secondary hypogonadism and hypothyroidism that we're seeing today...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 04:35:50 pm by PeakT »

Blade78

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2012, 02:00:25 am »

I know why you said it.  But I guess I'm asking you to find the standard list of excitotoxins - they're easy to Google - and also read up on glycemic load.  Once you have a basic understanding of these, then you can do what I do.  (You already know a lot about trans fats I can tell). 

I warn you though: once you upon the door you can't shut it.  There are very few processed foods that I'll touch no matter how hungry I am.  I drive my kids crazy because there are very few bags of chips without excitotoxins in them and I just won't buy them - just can't do it in good conscience, especially since they have such lower levels of tissue mass/plasma, etc..  I want them to have the chance that I and my generation never had and maybe avoid all the secondary hypogonadism and hypothyroidism that we're seeing today...
I dont know what it is I cannot eat
like most people, I learn by doing and If I had an example of what I can eat, what is in this food I can eat, I can just eat it  or realize what I cannot eat
so why not tell me
"I eat  brand x chips" they have no exotoxins
I am not trying to become an expert in tranfats exotoxins
I just want to know what I can eat

you gave some 'reason" why you dont give examples of what you eat, I said, I will figure out how it fits into my goals/overall diet
yet still dont give me anything

I eat this candy that burns fat, makes me taller, makes me smarter and protects my body from cancer......I wont tell you what it is called, I'm not sure of what else you are eating and I need to know your credit score before I can tell you

thats what it sounds like you are saying, what reason do you have for not just telling the board what it is you eat?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 10:20:42 am by watchntv »

Blade78

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2012, 03:41:31 am »

I know why you said it.  But I guess I'm asking you to find the standard list of excitotoxins - they're easy to Google -y...
so heres a site that has a list of something, I can't follow what Im supposed to eat or what Im supposed to avoid
http://www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources.html

but instead of giving some product names, you think I should learn this list, then go around looking at every ingredient list to make it sure it has or lacks this list?

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2012, 01:33:27 pm »

but instead of giving some product names, you think I should learn this list, then go around looking at every ingredient list to make it sure it has or lacks this list?

You may not realize it, but what you're kind of asking me to do is be your personal trainer or nutritionist.  Someday I might like to get trained for that as I really enjoy that sort of thing, but, as I stated above, I don't really have time to read through long ingredient lists and other similar things.  Again, don't take it personal:  I do care but have to manage my time just as we all do. 

And, yes, imo the safest thing for a person to do if he is going to buy packaged and processed foods is to train himself to find the hidden trans fats, excitotoxins and so on.  This is really a very useful skill.  With excitotoxins, the bottom line is this:  watch out for the powders.  Once they boil the crap out of many foods, it ends up with some excitotoxin content.

In fact, that's really one of the goals of my site is to try to encourage men to dig into these things and not just trust the big consumer product companies:  they simply don't have our best interest in mind most of the time.

You've already learned a lot and it's great to watch, so keep up the good work..

Blade78

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2012, 05:50:50 pm »

You may not realize it, but what you're kind of asking me to do is be your personal trainer or nutritionist.  Someday I might like to get trained for that as I really enjoy that sort of thing, but, as I stated above, I don't really have time to read through long ingredient lists and other similar things.  Again, don't take it personal:  I do care but have to manage my time just as we all do. 

And, yes, imo the safest thing for a person to do if he is going to buy packaged and processed foods is to train himself to find the hidden trans fats, excitotoxins and so on.  This is really a very useful skill.  With excitotoxins, the bottom line is this:  watch out for the powders.  Once they boil the crap out of many foods, it ends up with some excitotoxin content.

In fact, that's really one of the goals of my site is to try to encourage men to dig into these things and not just trust the big consumer product companies:  they simply don't have our best interest in mind most of the time.

You've already learned a lot and it's great to watch, so keep up the good work..
Im trying anything to get something I can use out of you.  Im looking for examples or  a list of ingredients to avoid, but this is where Im at now, not where I started;

first I asked for examples foods I could eat beyond the basics, things I could buy at the store.
no results from asking about that, a few abstract thoughts about, something chocolaty, crunchy but not too crunchy,, etc

I tried to learning from examples, so I pasted a good ingredients list because it looked alright to me, and I thought if you saw a red flag you could tell me what it was good or bad and why
-you tell me you need to know my diet to be able to tell me if a food is good or bad; which still makes no sense to me at all

I googled excitotoxins , didnt know if what I found was any good
I was just looking for what you eat, nothing about me, purely what you do, and you
tell me:

"For example, I eat mostly low fat, but I do cheat with occasional bursts of

1.  Dark chocolate
3.  Eating out"

no details, nothing to learn there...? besides you like to eat food that's made by a good cook(I took notes of this epiphany)

Then I try to learn what ingredients to  look for on each package? so I can avoid them  that would make a really good article, unless you already have one...how do I determine what to buy or not to buy??

I suspect if you want anything decent you
1 have to stick to simple foods, fruit, eggwhites  veggies
2 anything else, you should get the best ingredients yourself and bake/cook it

so I guess I need a good recipe book?  but I cant even find the best marinara sauce or I should eat marinara sauce? or what is the main lesson I should learn from some pages
http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Excitotoxins_Fast_Food

a page of what ingredients to avoid would be immensely helpful

or a list you google and I can learn from would be great, I can learn anything, but I've asked very specific questions and I dont get answers.....I have nothing to learn....Im just looking for something to learn......

does that recap sound wrong to you?
you say you want
" one of the goals of my site is to try to encourage men to dig into these things "
Pea, I'm digging, but I dont know what to look for, so I keep asking the same stuff, this whole thread, what do I look for?

Remember, my first post in this thread?
Foods that have
no/low saturated fats
NO Trans fats

Im  trying to know what other foods I can eat, not on a daily basis, but sometimes, that arent gonna be that bad

do you think this thread would be 3 pages long if I had answer of"
1.  go to this page.///wwww. list of ingredients to avoid. and dont eat anything with those in them
 or
2 only eat this stuff 99% of the time... the other 1% of the time eat whatever you want

I dont know all the words for transfats, I know hydrogenated food are good to avoid, no matter my diet avoid them
I dont know what other words mean excitoxins or things to avoid, just hit me up with a list of things to avoid,
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 06:11:12 pm by watchntv »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2012, 06:01:48 pm »
Excitotoxins are actually difficult to spot completely.  The biggees are autolyzed yeast extract,, aspartame and any kind of hydrolyzed or "textured" proteins (along with MSG itself).  But they can hide it in anything:  from artificial flavors to maltodextrin.  Basically, if you have processed foods with "powders" in them, you are at the mercy of the manufacturer and your own body mass. 

And sometimes you have to use some judgement:  if all the ingrediently look good, but the 10th is "artificial flavor", then you're probably okay.  A  few milligrams of free glutamine probably isn't going to do any harm.

My wife now just hands me the package when I go to the Costco or Trader Joe's and I give it the ol' eagle eye...

Blade78

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2012, 06:44:19 pm »
Excitotoxins are actually difficult to spot completely.  The biggees are autolyzed yeast extract,, aspartame and any kind of hydrolyzed or "textured" proteins (along with MSG itself).  But they can hide it in anything:  from artificial flavors to maltodextrin.  Basically, if you have processed foods with "powders" in them, you are at the mercy of the manufacturer and your own body mass. 

And sometimes you have to use some judgement:  if all the ingrediently look good, but the 10th is "artificial flavor", then you're probably okay.  A  few milligrams of free glutamine probably isn't going to do any harm.

My wife now just hands me the package when I go to the Costco or Trader Joe's and I give it the ol' eagle eye...
avoid:
autolyzed yeast extract
aspartame
any kind of hydrolyzed /"textured" proteins (along with MSG itself).
 free glutamine
artificial flavor
rankings on the list
the higher any of these ingredients is on the list, the more there is in the product, if one of the above ingredients is near the bottom of the list, then the product isnt that bad,but dont eat it often

any more to add, I'll keep this list saved to add to.

Blade78

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2012, 06:46:53 pm »

thats what I tried to do when I listed the ingredients in those 2 burritos....that plan didnt pan out so well.....why you would treat your wife and some online wierdo  differently is beyond me! ;)

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2012, 06:52:11 pm »

thats what I tried to do when I listed the ingredients in those 2 burritos....that plan didnt pan out so well.....why you would treat your wife and some online wierdo  differently is beyond me! ;)

Hey, I've told you this before:  I admire what you're doing.  I've never lost 30 pounds or whatever it is and recovered from a major injury like yours.  You've got almost everyone on this board beat with those two...

But look I have the same issue with men who post their test results.  Often these results have over 20 lab readings.  There's no way I can go through and scruitinize each and comment, etc.  (even if I could mind you)

Now for the wife and kids I'll do just about anything of course.  Well, except Pilates...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 06:54:08 pm by PeakT »

Blade78

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2012, 10:07:41 am »

Hey, I've told you this before:  I admire what you're doing.  I've never lost 30 pounds or whatever it is and recovered from a major injury like yours.  You've got almost everyone on this board beat with those two...

But look I have the same issue with men who post their test results.  Often these results have over 20 lab readings.  There's no way I can go through and scruitinize each and comment, etc.  (even if I could mind you)

Now for the wife and kids I'll do just about anything of course.  Well, except Pilates..

you know I do understand and I was just messing with you, Im trying to use your writings to "teach myself to fish" and dont expect you to give me a fish

I did bold what made me chuckle, I like your subtle humor....that's the best kind(I can support that with studies, but I'm confident you'l agree)

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2012, 02:30:04 pm »
you know I do understand and I was just messing with you, Im trying to use your writings to "teach myself to fish" and dont expect you to give me a fish

I did bold what made me chuckle, I like your subtle humor....that's the best kind(I can support that with studies, but I'm confident you'l agree)

I bat about .300 I would guess.  That's not too bad...

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2012, 02:30:04 pm »