Quantcast

Author Topic: Day 2 after finding out I have low T  (Read 4756 times)

Theot

• View Profile
Day 2 after finding out I have low T
« on: May 15, 2012, 07:54:39 pm »
Hello Gents,

Like probably almost all of you I found this site looking for information on Low T.  I found out yesterday after visiting my doctor Friday. 

A little history, Iím 36, overweight (275 lbs, 5í11Ē) have been for several years.  A lot of this is due to not being active enough (I sit at a desk all day) and extremely poor eating habits that go all the way back to when I was a child as both my parents were severely overweight their entire adult life and did not instill good eating habits.  However I was fit as a fiddle all through HS, graduated a 175 lbs, 4 sport a year athlete.  However by the time I hit 21-22 years old my eating habits and lack of activity had started to catch up with me.

Anyway, the last 2-3 years Iíve realized I need to change, rarely eat fast food anymore, very little pop/soda/sports drinks.  Working on more healthy snacking and cutting out sugars and the bad stuff.  Also have tried to be more active, I started light cardio exercise 5-6 days a week back in December, and after the holidays by the end of January I had lost 10 lbs, I continued into March losing another 10 lbs putting me at the 275 lbs I am now.  I was feeling good, had more energy.  However, in late March, I started feeling really tired, severely exhausted all the time, dizziness, weakness in my legs, foggy head, headaches.  Seeing as I am going to school with two classes a semester while working my wife and I attributed it to stress and or overworking myself.  However more sleep and rest didnít help much, and it hasnít gotten better.  To add to the pile, Iíve always been borderline hypoglycemic ( I think thatís the right one) where if I donít eat every 3 hours I get very grouchy and crappy feeling, which has gotten worse the last 2 months to the point of feeling downright horrible and nothing can quench my hungry feeling every couple of hours.  Over these past few weeks Iíve went to a high protein diet in an attempt to help this, and it only helped marginally.

Finally going to the doctor on Friday and I didnít even know anything about low T, didnít know he was testing for it.  They called yesterday and told me my T was 241 and that they want to put me on shots.  Iím leery of doing shots, but based on what I read on this site yesterday and today, with as low as my T I need to go on the shot and have an appointment to do so tomorrow.  Everything Iíve experienced the past few weeks fits with Low T and my guess is that itís been steadily declining for the past few years which is why a lot of my interests have faded, Iíve been on anti-depressants to help with anxiety and to help me sleep.  I have sleep apnea and use a cpap nightly. 

I have proven to myself that I can lose weight and get back into shape.  Based on what Iíve read here I started on 800 IU of Vitamin D today.  As I said Iím slated at the moment to get a T-shot tomorrow morning.  However I am also intent on finding natural ways to try and boost my testosterone production to try to lessen or even remove my dependency on the shot.  Iím hoping that if I the shot helps and I can get back on an exercise regimen again and continue to change my diet that maybe I can back off the shots in a few months completely.  However Iím one day into my research, so maybe thatís just wishful thinking. 

If anybody have any recommendations about the shots, how much vitamin D I should push and any general advice I welcome it and look forward to talking to you all more.  Thanks.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Day 2 after finding out I have low T
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 09:05:54 pm »
First of all, congrats on all the good changes.  Nothing can stop you now - I'm being quite serious there - as long as you have discipline and are willing to actually make those positive changes, which you obviously are.

Here's a few comments, though, to discuss with your doctor:

--I don't mean to be personal, but you're pretty overweight.  Again, I'm not trying to be derogatory, but one of the things I cover in my latest book is that if you gain enough weight, you can actually shut off your testosterone production and induce a kind of secondary hypogonadism.

--And one of the things that I also cover is that some of the studies have shown major increases in testosterone from dropping those pounds.

--If you are dieting under about 85% of your baseline calories, you can end up greatly decreasing your testosterone levels.

--There are a few guys on this board that have increased their testosterone by 50-100% (and more in one case actually) simply by resuming normal calories and/or dropping a lot of weight.

So you can guess where I'm heading:  your testosterone may actually be quite normal if you 1) drop  a significant amount of weight and/or 2) resume a more reasonable calorie level.

Now in your case, it may not be prudent for you to wait while you drop the pounds, because you are already experiencing low T symptoms.  Furthermore, you may be experiencing some blood sugar/insulin-related issues and this needs to be dealt with asap.  You may want to request a fasting blood sugar test and glycated hemoglobin.

Of course, I can't tell you what to do, but I can bring up some good topics for you to discuss with your physician so that you can come up with a plan.  One other important comment:  going off HRT is generally not fun if you go cold turkey and most docs don't deal with jumpstarting testosterone. 

Also, that Vitamin D will probably be low unless you are out in the sun quite a bit.  Make sure you get retested as they can whack your T as well.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 09:09:10 pm by PeakT »
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 09:05:54 pm »

Theot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 10:12:05 pm »
Thanks for the response,

No offense taken, I know I'm very overweight.  That's why I've tried to make these lifestyle changes the last couple of years to try and get healthier and not just try to diet.  I was trying to do it through healthier eating and exercise, however, as lousy as I've felt the past few weeks I haven't exercised much at all.  In fact I tried to power through it, just keep exercising, but it just made it worse, not right away, but later in the day I was ever more tired.

I'm not really dieting, just trying to eat healthier and not stuff myself.  but then again maybe that is part of the problem as I don't snack as much as I used to but I'm still hungry.

He checked my sugar, it was normal, I didn't get the number but I should find out what it is.

No I didn't figure going off of HRT cold turkey was a good idea, my thought was that if I can get feeling better and resume losing weight that I might be able to taper it off over time.  Any idea if that is possible or am I going to become dependent on the shots once I am on them?

I figured the 800 IU of Vitamin D was low, I just had never taken it and wanted to make sure it didn't adversely effect me in any way first.  Figure I'll ramp that up more over the next few days.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 11:32:29 pm »

I figured the 800 IU of Vitamin D was low, I just had never taken it and wanted to make sure it didn't adversely effect me in any way first.  Figure I'll ramp that up more over the next few days.

Here is a good article:

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2012/may2012_New-Study-Warns-Against-Excessive-Vitamin-D-Intake_01.htm

30 is the number most docs shoot for, but many experts think that's a little low.  LEF would take you even higher than that as you can read above.

I don't know if your doc recommended the 800 IU, but it looks like that probably came from this National Academy paper.  For example, see this page:

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=13050&page=9

From what I can tell, they just want you over 20 ng/ml, but that's pretty low from what I've read.  You'll have to do your own research and discuss with your doc though.

On my page on Vitamin I cover some study work that points to 40 ng/ml as being optimal:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Vitamin_D

The main thing is to start taking a reasonable dose and then get tested to see if it had the desired effect.
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 11:32:29 pm »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 11:39:31 pm »

No I didn't figure going off of HRT cold turkey was a good idea, my thought was that if I can get feeling better and resume losing weight that I might be able to taper it off over time.  Any idea if that is possible or am I going to become dependent on the shots once I am on them?

What you and your doc have decided seems reasonable to me.  One advantage to your approach is that it is harder to lose weight generally with low T.  The muscle will tend to leave along with the fat loss and then your metabolism changes for the worse.

If you just go cold turkey with no pharmaceutical help from an endo, it will take you months to get over.  A good endo/anti-aging/fertility doc may be able to accelerate that for you.

Btw, be sure to get tested after you get started to make your testosterone really changed and, also, I would recommend getting your estradiol checked.  The studies do not show any major issues with overweight men, who will tend to aromatize testosterone more, but it is prudent to make sure your E2 isn't too high.  Hopefully, your doctor will be monitoring all of this along with red blood cell counts, PSA and so on.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 11:39:31 pm »