Quantcast

Author Topic: Met with Urologist Today  (Read 14061 times)

kcwebguy

• View Profile
Met with Urologist Today
« on: May 17, 2012, 11:44:46 pm »
I had an appointment with a new urologist today.... and HE GETS IT! He said that my 321 T (which has come after months of compound cream) is low for most men that he treats and that we need to get started working on raising that number right away. ;D

It was encouraging because as I would feed him information about low testosterone, its symptoms, and its effects on my body... he would complete my sentences. He said that he was not going to try to get me to a specific number, but instead he wants me to tell him when I'm feeling good and seeing the symptoms go away. We'll test along the way to see what that number is and go from there.

He doesn't like injections because of the highs and lows, and the difficulty of diagnosing and maintaining. He said he would prescribe injections if it turned out to be the best solution for a patient. But that's usually not the case in his experience. His preferred treatments are gels and pellets. The gel is not affordable for me at the moment and the pellets come in to play once we figure out what my number is.

To get me started For now he has prescribed AXIRON. It's inexpensive and he says effective. Has anyone heard of it/used it before?

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Met with Urologist Today
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 02:17:09 am »
Congrats.  Btw, it might help some guys if you share what unnatural acts and contortions you had to go through to find your doc.  Many men are at that discouraged point where - somewhat like finding the right woman mind you - they feel like they'll never find the right physician.

I've got some basic coverage on Axiron btw.  Hope this helps:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Axiron_Review

Also, gels don't have to be expensive if you go the compounding route:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Compounding_Testosterone

THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 02:17:09 am »

kcwebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 01:23:44 pm »
Like many others I was frustrated with my physicians knowledge and desire to help me with my T levels. I decided that I needed to find someone else to help me.

In the process of sharing on the forum here, Doc Teeple out of Texas mentioned that he would be glad to help if I wanted to head down his way and see him. I was very interested but it would've added significant costs because of time and travel. While chatting with him and looking at his website I noticed that he is a urologist and that he has info on his website about conditions and treatment options. That spawned the idea to look for urology related groups in my area. Upon doing that I immediately found a large group of physicians that specialize in Low T and treat it with every option available. There are 25 docs in this group so the next challenge was to select a doc that I thought might do the trick for me. I read all of their profiles. Three of them specifically mentioned this condition in the bio. I called their nurses and spoke with them briefly. From there I picked the youngest one, believing that the science of Low T and it's treatment options might be more fresh for him than the others. The rest is history.

In a step by step format:

1) Search for "Your City Urology"

2) Go through each website on the first two pages

3) On each website look for information about Hypogonadism, Low T, Erectyle Disfunction, etc.

4) If they have info about treatment options, that's a plus

5) Pick one you like, call and ask to speak with the doctor's nurse

6) Tell the nurse that you're interested in seeing the doctor for the first time and you're wanting to get an idea how many patients per week the doctor sees for this condition (in my case it was about 10 per week). The nurses were all friendly to me. No one denied me an answer to that question.

7) Make an appointment, see the doctor, and tell him your story. You're likely to be knowledgeable enough yourself to know right away if he's the guy you want to work with. If so, great. If not, repeat steps 1 - 7.

As to the compounding cream solution, it's a high enough dose at this point that it is over $100 per month. The Axiron will come in at $25 per month. I'm not sure how effective the cream has been for me, to be honest. It may be that I didn't give it enough time. Even at that, a cheaper alternative is welcomed right now.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 02:04:59 pm »
Great.  I like that!  "Seven Step to Finding an HRT Doc".  I put your advice at the top of this page:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Hormone_Replacement_Therapy_Doctors

Also, don't forget to get tested soon as you know never know if you're getting the absorption you're expecting as you stated...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 02:14:50 pm by PeakT »
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 02:04:59 pm »

Quincy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 02:44:01 pm »
As to the compounding cream solution, it's a high enough dose at this point that it is over $100 per month. The Axiron will come in at $25 per month. I'm not sure how effective the cream has been for me, to be honest. It may be that I didn't give it enough time. Even at that, a cheaper alternative is welcomed right now.

kcwebguy,
I got BCBS insurance, pretty much just basic coverage with higher deductibles. I got the Androgel Card from the company and paid $10/month for their gel. Don't know if I'll get charged the same price next month but it is supposedly good through the end of the year. Also I don't know if it will cost more if the doc increases my dosage.

If you don't mind me asking, is the $25 Axiron with any promotions or insurance coverage.. or is it their standard price?
56yo, Pre  T level 239
Previous dosage 180mg T.cypionate weekly BW @ 1056 on 7th day of cycle
Previous dosage 100mg T.cypionate weekly BW @   414 on 7th day of cycle

Current dosage  140mg T.cypionate weekly

kcwebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 03:17:03 pm »
The regular price is $300 per 120 ml bottle. Depending on your dose that could be anywhere from 1 - 4 months.

The manufacturer has a promotion that ensures that you get the product for no more than $25 per 120 ml bottle no matter what your insurance status is. You get a card that is good for up to 12 months.  Long enough to get you hooked, for sure. After that you might be hung out to dry depending upon your situation.

In my case the doc wants to use it to get me to my ideal range and then we'll look at alternatives.

That's a good deal for the Androgel. That stuff was $400 per month for me. No coverage available by my insurance.

Quincy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 03:34:56 pm »
The manufacturer has a promotion that ensures that you get the product for no more than $25 per 120 ml bottle no matter what your insurance status is. You get a card that is good for up to 12 months.  Long enough to get you hooked, for sure. After that you might be hung out to dry depending upon your situation.

That's a good deal for the Androgel. That stuff was $400 per month for me. No coverage available by my insurance.

You right about them getting you hooked at a deeply discounted price. I have a feeling these promotions will continue to be around in the future. You may be able to get an Androgel Card in 12 months and buy yourself another inexpensive 12 month supply. Kind of like switching phone services in the old days... or more recently cable/internet packages.
56yo, Pre  T level 239
Previous dosage 180mg T.cypionate weekly BW @ 1056 on 7th day of cycle
Previous dosage 100mg T.cypionate weekly BW @   414 on 7th day of cycle

Current dosage  140mg T.cypionate weekly

kcwebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 03:45:19 pm »
Exactly... we'll see what happens.  :D

kregger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 11:18:36 pm »
Great thread.  It'd be awesome if kcwebguy would update.  Are we all gonna get hooked and then left out to dry?  Big Pharma is little more than a street hustler.
1st Labs:
Total Testosterone: 497 (range is 348 - 1197)
Free Testosterone: 6.1 (range is 8.7 - 25.1)
DHEA: 204.2 (range is 102.6 - 416.3)
Luteinizing Hormone: 9.8 (range is 1.7 - 8.6)
Estradiol: 16.2 (range is 8.0 - 35.0)

Started 25mg daily Clomid (through Defy Medical) on 11/03/16

2nd Labs:
Total Testosterone: 962 (range is 348 - 1197)
Free Testosterone: 12.0 (range is 8.7 - 25.1)
DHEA: 377.5 (range is 102.6 - 416.3)
Luteinizing Hormone: 11.4 (range is 1.7 - 8.6)
Estradiol: 26.1 (range is 8.0 - 35.0)

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 04:50:37 am »
Great thread.  It'd be awesome if kcwebguy would update.  Are we all gonna get hooked and then left out to dry?  Big Pharma is little more than a street hustler.

KCWebGuy hasn't been around for awhile I don't believe...

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 04:50:37 am »