Quantcast

Author Topic: What Is a Varicocele?  (Read 4192 times)

pvm21

• View Profile
What Is a Varicocele?
« on: June 20, 2014, 12:17:24 pm »
Can someone tell me a little bit more about what a varicocele is? Its the one thing Ive never been tested for. My left testicle is smaller than the other, and I do have a dark purple vien under it but I don't think thats what varicocele is? A simple google search sounds like it looks sort of like a bag on the scrotum? If someone has this, would that meen he would have high LH, because it is the testes that aren't working as well due to the varicocele. Any info would be great. Thanks
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 01:54:26 pm by PeakT »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: What Is a Varicocele?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 01:54:05 pm »
Can someone tell me a little bit more about what a varicocele is? Its the one thing Ive never been tested for. My left testicle is smaller than the other, and I do have a dark purple vien under it but I don't think thats what varicocele is? A simple google search sounds like it looks sort of like a bag on the scrotum? If someone has this, would that meen he would have high LH, because it is the testes that aren't working as well due to the varicocele. Any info would be great. Thanks

It's kind of like a cluster of varicose veins with a valve problems that reduce circulation to the testes.  I'll let some of the guys that have had them give their description, but here is some starter info about what it can do to testosterone, etc.:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Varicocele_Testosterone
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 01:56:03 pm by PeakT »
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 01:54:05 pm »

Festus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 03:02:15 pm »
I'm going to post a full lessons-learned summary once I get past my surgery for mine, but the main thing I would add is that it is much easier to detect late in the day and will often disappear overnight since the veins can empty out when you are lying down. Varicocele's  do a whole host of bad things so you want to get checked if you have any suspicions, and ultrasound is how they will confirm what you have. You want to go to a clinic  that specializes in fixing things like that so that there is no argument that it needs to be done. And it's pronounced vari-ko-seal.

Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 04:04:55 pm »
Couple points.

1) You might have trouble detecting them if they are low grade, but mine was a high grade and I really didnt notice it until I had an ultrasound on the boys for a bump I found which turned out to be a calcium deposit(apparently normal part of aging).

The ultrasound tech gave me the "hmm" and your doctor will have to discuss with you comment which freaked me out at first.

Once I knew I had one it was easier to tell and basically I had a left side unilateral varicocele which I could see based on how the upper part of the skin around the base of your junk feels and looks. 

From a treatment perspective, I had an interventional radiology procedure done which I would recommend.  I was recovered within a day.  The docs didnt want to treat me at first because they will tell you they only treat them for fertility concerns (i.e. the insurance doesnt want to repair the estimated 15% of men who have them)

If you have one and want it fixed, you have to make sure your doctor knows you are concerned about fertility but more importantly that it causes you alot of pain at times and is keep you from sleeping well.  Keep focusing on the pain component and they will have to treat you.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 04:04:55 pm »

pvm21

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 06:04:21 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I can't really tell, I wouldnt say there is pain that keeps me from sleeping, but there sometimes is pain during the day. I will ask to get it checked out.

pvm21

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 11:33:45 pm »
actually the more I look at it the more Im pretty sure I have one. It is more apparent at night then in the morning and when my sack is looser.

Can they cause low pituitary function? Can they cause depression?

Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 03:09:01 am »
Theoretically if they cause the testes to not produce enough testosterone the pituitary would respond by increasing LH.  The studies seem to indicate bilateral varicoceles are really an issue for testosterone levels, but if you have a high grade varicocele it's worth getting an ultrasound and probably having it treated, IMHO

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 05:58:44 am »
actually the more I look at it the more Im pretty sure I have one. It is more apparent at night then in the morning and when my sack is looser.

Can they cause low pituitary function? Can they cause depression?

I can't prove this, but I think they can be a "stressor" and cause similar symptoms in some guys.
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Festus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 04:39:10 pm »
I agree with Sam and Peak...if it's throwing off your body's regulation in some way, no other intervention is necessarily going to have valid results until it is fixed. And it also can get worse over time. I think Sam's body temperature point is particularly interesting.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 04:39:10 pm »