Quantcast

Author Topic: Tips for using Androgel  (Read 39845 times)

badrad123

• View Profile
Tips for using Androgel
« on: June 21, 2012, 10:45:04 pm »
Hi,

Just curious if anybody has some tips on applying adrogel. I have been on 3 pumps for almost 10 day (prior to that 2 pumps for 10 days at which time my PCP told me to go to 3 pumps due to a T level of 218L [250-890 dl range]) and just told to go to 4 pumps by my new doctor because my T level was 1.31ml [1.75 - 7.81]. He says to try the 4 and test again in 2 weeks. Also said he thinks I might have a problem absorbing the gel.

I currently apply after my morning shower as instructed. I was wondering if anybody has a few tips on improving the absorption......if that is the problem.

Thanks,

John

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Tips for using Androgel
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 03:32:16 am »
What else you going to do?  Correct me if I'm wrong but you're all gooped up right now already using your existing dose.  it's kind of like shellacking a piece of furniture - after the first layer all the other layers just add gloss to the finish!  I cannot think of any way to increase the aborbency as you only want to apply where they direct you.  But we'll see if anyone else has any tricks. 

THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 03:32:16 am »

badrad123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 03:23:42 pm »
Yea, I'm thinking the same thing. I might ask for a compound gel if the 4 pumps don't work.  Perhaps the shots but I'm a little concerned about the roller coaster effect I keep hearing about and my anxiety.

I appreciate all your help.

Quincy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 08:14:09 pm »
Also said he thinks I might have a problem absorbing the gel.

I currently apply after my morning shower as instructed. I was wondering if anybody has a few tips on improving the absorption......if that is the problem.

Thanks,

John

I think you want to have clean dry skin (after a shower) to get the best absorption. Try to avoid sweating afterwards as it soaks in. Also you could try a skin moisturizer about an hour after applying it. 

http://www.rxabbott.com/pdf/androgel1_62_PI.pdf

see page 9 of 12 in their fact sheet. Supposedly that boosts the T level about 14% on average. Personally I don't want to have to rely upon applying moisturizer also everyday, so I'm not. I also heard someone say they applied some rubbing alcohol later to increase absorption... no idea if it is true or not.
56yo, Pre  T level 239
Previous dosage 180mg T.cypionate weekly BW @ 1056 on 7th day of cycle
Previous dosage 100mg T.cypionate weekly BW @   414 on 7th day of cycle

Current dosage  140mg T.cypionate weekly

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 08:14:09 pm »

badrad123

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 12:15:37 am »
Thanks Quincy, I might give that a try if needed. However, I went up to 4 pumps today and it seemed to give me a better boost. Hopefully this time it lasts and I don't end up crashing again.

kevinlee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 04:20:00 pm »
Greetings,
This seems like the best place for me to make my first post - badrad asked my main question for me. There are warnings everywhere about keeping areas you've applied the get to and even unwashed clothes away from women and kids. That suggests testosterone that is not absorbed stays on your skin or gets wiped off by clothing, right? So why wouldn't getting it wet again and maybe massaging it in result in more absorption?
Q2 - Why are you supposed to keep 1.62% of your gut? That's one place the instructions for 1% say you might want to apply the gel.

I like your board! I've looked at hundreds and this is the only one I was even tempted to register with. I've got it bookmarked. Thanks everyone for what I've already learned from reading several posts.
Kevbo

kevinlee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 04:41:53 pm »
Well, I read p. 9 of 12 noted above. Guess that answers my two questions.
Kevbo

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 12:06:30 am »
Greetings,
This seems like the best place for me to make my first post - badrad asked my main question for me. There are warnings everywhere about keeping areas you've applied the get to and even unwashed clothes away from women and kids. That suggests testosterone that is not absorbed stays on your skin or gets wiped off by clothing, right? So why wouldn't getting it wet again and maybe massaging it in result in more absorption?
Q2 - Why are you supposed to keep 1.62% of your gut? That's one place the instructions for 1% say you might want to apply the gel.

I like your board! I've looked at hundreds and this is the only one I was even tempted to register with. I've got it bookmarked. Thanks everyone for what I've already learned from reading several posts.

Sorry to be slow to respond.  Busy day today.  And thx for the encouragement! 

Yes, much of it gets absorbed and I believe some degrades.  But here's the key:  women, for example, have about a tenth of our testosterone.  So even if they absorb a small amount of the total, it can cause issues.  If she absorbs just a little, it will probably boost her libido and life will be even better.   However, if it's much more than that, she may start to get facial hair and a receding hairline!  With children, the health effects are potentially much more serious and can affect puberty and possibly brain development.  So a little paranoia is probably in order here...
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 12:37:18 am »
Also, I'm not sure getting it wet is really going to help.  Androgel has its own delivery system and I doubt water has anything to do with it, but let me know what you are thinking...

Quincy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 07:08:08 pm »

My wife called Androgel's help line and asked why you couldn't put it on other body parts besides your shoulders. The Androgel rep said they could only recommend the shoulder area because their study used only that area. I guess it costs a lot more money to get more areas "study" approved. In essence she was saying there were no negative results from rubbing in on your stomach or thighs, etc... so, wink, wink, it is alright to do but we never recommended it to you... right?

I heard all this second hand from my wife and still just put it on my shoulder, but you may try calling them and asking directly if it is ok.
56yo, Pre  T level 239

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 09:05:57 pm »
Well, yes, and the risk of rubbing it elsewhere is that it may do the opposite, i.e. be absorbed less than it was before and then you are potentially in even worse shape as far as testosterone levels.  They basically can only vouch for their delivery system as it was studied of course...

Quincy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 08:16:29 pm »
I agree PeakT. I was kind of amazed to hear the nonchalant response from their help line. Who knows, you may call back again and someone else would give a less agreeable type answer. I'll stick with what is listed in the official instructions.
56yo, Pre  T level 239

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 02:00:52 am »
I agree PeakT. I was kind of amazed to hear the nonchalant response from their help line. Who knows, you may call back again and someone else would give a less agreeable type answer. I'll stick with what is listed in the official instructions.

Yeah, and again:  lots of men have trouble with Androgel so it doesn't work, push your doc for a solution that will.  There are plenty of alternatives out there...

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 02:00:52 am »