Quantcast

Author Topic: GREAT SITE - and a question or two :)  (Read 28809 times)

LowTee

• View Profile
Re: GREAT SITE - and a question or two :)
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2012, 02:25:44 pm »
Update:

Boy, never thought the process would take months, but it's finally paying off.  My T blood test on 9/10 revealed a 483 total.  I put the cream on at 7, and got my blood tested at 2 (blood was drawn from an area where I made sure the cream didn't go near).  Don't know about the free, though the urologist is mostly concerned with total at this point.

After my last test in mid august came back at 240, he bumped me up to 10 gm of the compounded cream (we started at 5 gm), and it's undoubtedly made an impact.  I see him Monday, 9/13, for another follow up.  I'm going to ask to take 20gm/day of the cream.  That should get me to the 600 to 800 range.

And the beauty of that 240 test level in August is that now my T compounded cream will be covered by insurance.  It's generic, so a three month supply will (or should!!!) cost only $15!!!  Any other generic med I've ever gotten was $15 or cheaper, so I can't see it not being the same for the testosterone.

I'm also feeling the effects, as the days and weeks move on.  Although I had no ED as part of my symptom list, my libido is way higher and my athletic endurance is greater.  I'm also recovering faster after activities.  For example, when I played football last season, I was usually sore until the following Friday following a game on Sunday.  Our new season started last Sunday, and by yesterday I was fine, even playing some tennis.

Couple of side notes.  Maybe this is TMI, but I'm one of those dudes who shaves his body hair.  The wife likes it, what can I say.  But I used to shave maybe once per week, and now I just do a quick glide every day in the shower, especially where I'm going to put the cream, and I think it drastically helps the absorption.  I think it's akin to the difference between putting aftershave on an unshaven face vs. a freshly shaved one (not that I put T-cream on my face lol).

Second point of note....20g of the compounded cream is like the equivalent of TEN pumps of something like androgel.  I can easily put that kind of compounded cream on every day, but if I were to take that kind of dose of Androgel or Testim, I'd be swimming in the stuff.

Will update y'all again after my appointment on Monday.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2012, 03:59:56 pm »
Great news.  Thx for the info.

The athletic recovery is something I don't talk about much but very true. 

Also, I know I sound like a broken record, but be careful around the wife (and kids) with all that cream. 
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2012, 03:59:56 pm »

LowTee

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2012, 04:18:37 pm »
Great news.  Thx for the info.

The athletic recovery is something I don't talk about much but very true. 

Also, I know I sound like a broken record, but be careful around the wife (and kids) with all that cream.

Absolutely, Peak.  The compounded cream is waaaay less voluminous than the name brands.  There's as much cream in 20 g of compounded stuff as there is in just 5 g of androgel or testim.  But yeah, I'm being cautious as hell...

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2012, 04:58:04 pm »
Also, the studies look very good so far as far as having extra body fat and going on HRT.  However, I recommend playing it safe and continuing to drop the weight.  (If I remember right, you were a little overweight but not obese?  Sorry - don't have time right now to reread the thread.)) 
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2012, 04:58:04 pm »

LowTee

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2012, 10:23:04 pm »
Also, the studies look very good so far as far as having extra body fat and going on HRT.  However, I recommend playing it safe and continuing to drop the weight.  (If I remember right, you were a little overweight but not obese?  Sorry - don't have time right now to reread the thread.))

LOL not me.  I'm 5'8" about 180, @10% bf.   Must have the wrong thread there.  Maybe the HRT will help drop me to single digits, who knows?

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2012, 10:38:54 pm »

LOL not me.  I'm 5'8" about 180, @10% bf.   Must have the wrong thread there.  Maybe the HRT will help drop me to single digits, who knows?

Oops!  Sorry 'bout that.  And nice work!

And, yes, it may help you lose a little body fat as well, although most of the study work is on hypogonadal middle-aged types like myself...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 10:40:25 pm by PeakT »

Blade78

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2012, 12:48:08 pm »

that's my problem...I think...I dont reallyknow what the muck is going on...I have a total T(as of may 2012) of 528ng/mol and I wont get really firm ...most of the time?
I do some of the time

I think its cause Im also dieting and shouldnt go nuts about for about 5 weeks, which will be 2 weeks after Im done dieting
I get the Peak T-test done on Nov 1
ďDonít you feel good when you go to the gym?í Not at all. Thereís too many people in-shape there. When I go to McDonaldís I feel great. At McDonaldís Iím Matthew McConaughey.Ē --Jim Gaffigan - Mr. Universe

LowTee

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2012, 02:47:30 pm »
And, yes, it may help you lose a little body fat as well, although most of the study work is on hypogonadal middle-aged types like myself...

I'm right there with you, T.  I'm 42....hypogonadal....and proud  ;D

LowTee

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2012, 06:12:22 pm »
UPDATE:

Saw urologist today, on the heels of my 486 free T test result.

Currently, I'm taking 100mg/day compounded cream.  He wants the dose increased to 150mg/day, which I will do starting tomorrow!  I had nooooo probles with that.  ;D

I also had an interesting conversation with him, which I'll reiterate here.  I asked him the question, what happens when I'm 50, 60, 70?  Can I maintain these numbers for life?  The answer was no, and that kind of bummed me out.  He's only allowed to medicate in order to get me to levels that are within range for my age.  When I turn 50, if the powers that be say that a normal T range is 500, and I'm floating around in happy land at 800, he has to decrease the dose.  If I'm lucky enough to live to 80, theoretically I won't be able to get T at all because my body would (or should) have none left.  Does that suck or what??!!  But that's a long time away, and hopefully attitudes/policies change between now and then.

His reason was valid, I suppose, in that prostate cancer risks go up the higher the T level is.  But if my PSAs are normal, isn't that a moot point?

So...the journey continues.  I can't emphasize enough how having more T has impacted my life.  The clock has been turned back 20 years, no exaggeration. 

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2012, 06:55:27 pm »

His reason was valid, I suppose, in that prostate cancer risks go up the higher the T level is.  But if my PSAs are normal, isn't that a moot point?

Actually, I think he is just playing it safe here.  The studies, as far as I know, do not show an increased cancer risk with HRT.  However, his reasoning probably goes something like this:

1.  A high percentage of men have some underlying prostate cancer cells. 
2.  As men age, these tend to slowly spread.  (Prostate cancer is generally a very slow-growing condition.)
3.  Testosterone will fuel existing prostate cancer cells and anti-testosterone therapy helps men recover from prostate cancer.

So his reasoning is probably that if you put #1 - #3 together, you should go easy on the testosterone later in life.

Is he right?  Well, there's not a lot of evidence yet for that from the research as far as I know.  However, keep in mind that HRT en masse as we are doing it now is relatively new.  So who knows?  Maybe some study will come out saying that this is somewhat of an issue for certain men, subpopulations, etc.

In the meantime, get your abs back, i.e. lose the body fat to keep estrogen under control and consider these preventative measure:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/prostate

Keep in mind, though, that some of these seem to work by limiting testosterone in the prostate.  If you're on HRT, it's debatable how much of an impact something like that would help.  So the best thing to do is do what you can to limit estrogen in the first place if you are on HRT, i.e. lose weight and perhaps avoid alcohol altogether and eat your brocolli (to convert it to the more benign forms).

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Broccoli

CAUTION:  Talk to your doctor about prostate cancer risk first before you do anything. He/she gets paid to stay up on the latest research.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 10:50:45 pm by PeakT »

LowTee

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2012, 05:14:09 pm »
Factoid:  In case anyone missed it, I was certified hypogonadic.  I think my early test came in at 240-something or other.

Update 1:  About 25 days post 150mg/day T-cream, 60 days therapy overall.

Update 2:  Pre-T, I was 5'8", 172 pounds
                  I just weighed myself, and I came in at 182!!  Pants fit exactly the same, so that tells me a lot of that is increase in LBM.

Things are gr8 in hormone land.  Last test revealed a blood level of 486, and that was at only 100mg/day.  When I go for November's test, I'm sure that number will go up.

After being on T for about 2 months now, my life is back.  No way to state it otherwise.

-improved energy throughout the day (I no longer feel the overwhelming urge to sleep...even in the middle of work.  Which was awful.)

-incredible recovery post exercise (I used to be sore for 4 or 5 days after either playing football or any kind of strenuous training.  I just had a game on Sunday and felt like I was ready to play again by Tuesday.   The benefits of faster recovery cannot be overstated.  More T = faster recovery = ability to train more often with more intensity = incredible improvements in body comp.)

-excessive libido (can be a plus and a minus.  As time goes on I find it almost annoying to be so damned horny all the time, but it's a side effect I can live with)

I will say that I've noticed no changes in body hair.  I shave the body often (better for cream absorption), but have noticed no increase in facial hair growth or anything.  I'm 42 and still can't grow a decent beard.  Don't think that will ever change lol!

-------

But here's a question for the learned crowd:

I'm getting greedy.  I want more.  I feel like I've lost at least 10 years of my life, because the years I suffered with hypogonadism ... well, that wasn't really living. 

I think my doctor, if asked, would let me take more.  He's worried about acne, but in all honesty, I've never suffered acne a day in my life.  I can't imagine what the levels would have to be to get that side effect.  I'm sure it's personal.

But if normal for my age is 600-900, I want 900, maybe even a thousand.   Am I wrong for wanting this?

Quincy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2012, 06:45:38 pm »
Factoid: 
Things are gr8 in hormone land.  Last test revealed a blood level of 486, and that was at only 100mg/day.  When I go for November's test, I'm sure that number will go up.

After being on T for about 2 months now, my life is back.  No way to state it otherwise.

First of all Congratulations on the big improvement! I'm glad to see someone having success with the creams! So you were on 150mg for the first 25 days and 100mg the next 35 days?

I'm getting greedy.  I want more.  I feel like I've lost at least 10 years of my life, because the years I suffered with hypogonadism ... well, that wasn't really living. 

I think my doctor, if asked, would let me take more.  He's worried about acne, but in all honesty, I've never suffered acne a day in my life.  I can't imagine what the levels would have to be to get that side effect.  I'm sure it's personal.

But if normal for my age is 600-900, I want 900, maybe even a thousand.   Am I wrong for wanting this?

There is really only one way to know where your "sweet spot" is and that is to experiment. Of course you would want your doctors approval and you would need more blood tests to see if your various measurements including estradiol, were in order. I'm kind of in that situation myself right now. I do believe your targeted T levels is an individual thing and it is possible to actually feel worse even if you keep it under 1000. So really you have to go by how you feel and make sure other blood levels aren't whacked out of balance.

I've been on a large dose over a month and have noticed more oily skin but like you I never had acne problems growing up and have always had fairly oily skin. No problems so far now either.

If you are already having a "problem" being too horny... a lot of guys would kill for that... it could make that even moreso, you'll just have to see. But I would say take your time and tell the doc what you would like to do as that is the only way you will really know. There's nothing magical about a number... only one more useful piece of the puzzle in getting things right.

56yo, Pre  T level 239
Previous dosage 180mg T.cypionate weekly BW @ 1056 on 7th day of cycle
Previous dosage 100mg T.cypionate weekly BW @   414 on 7th day of cycle

Current dosage  140mg T.cypionate weekly

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2012, 06:47:32 pm »

My own opinion - and this is just an opinion - is that the most important thing is actually symptoms.  The reason for that is that we see a wide range of testosterone levels with differering effects.  There are guys in the 300's with no symptoms whatsoever.  There are young guys in the low 500's that are miserable.  So imo you do just enough to boost libido, overcome venous leakage if you have some, get those morning erections back, etc. 

But I'm not into boosting testosterone just for the sake of muscle and the reason is simply that you can easily put on muscle with testosterone in the 400's.  So why go into the 800-1000 range just to accelerate something that is yours already anyway. 

That's my two cents.  There are lots of sports medicine and anti-aging docs going into this range and so they probably know better the effects than anyone else.  But right now we really don't know if its okay to hover near 1000 night and day for three decades.  It's probably okay - but who knows?  We've been surprised before...

So that one, you and your doc have to decide...

LowTee

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2012, 12:38:27 pm »
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Quincy:  I started out at 100 for the first 35 or so days, and have been on 150 ever since.  Given all the negative feedback gels/creams have had, I consider myself very fortunate to be having success with it.  Though injections are probably in my future at some point because the cream ritual will probably get annoying over time.

Just curious, Quincy, what your age is and your level with therapy?  Did you boost your levels to "age normal" or are you stepping out of the box and going higher?  I definitely plan on telling my doc the direction I would like to go.

Peak:  I see your point about matching the T level to symptoms.  I have seen a linear improvement with symptoms as the dose has gone up.  It's almost like, "Hey, I'm feeling really good now....but how will I feel if I increase the dose to X"? 

I felt somewhat revived at 100mg/day, but in retrospect, it was a shell of what I'm feeling now at 150.  Who knows what 200mg/day might bring?

What's leading me to want more is the amount of activity I will continue to do as the levels go up.  I'd love to have the ability to work, be there for the family, and train almost every day....just like I did in those teen years.  I'm almost there now, but I see room to up the ante. 

The lack of studies showing the effects of such doses over time is somewhat troublesome, but the sheer quality I'm adding to my life each and every day makes me want to roll the dice. 

Quincy

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2012, 04:41:08 pm »
Just curious, Quincy, what your age is and your level with therapy?  Did you boost your levels to "age normal" or are you stepping out of the box and going higher?  I definitely plan on telling my doc the direction I would like to go.

Iím 56 and I really donít know what my T level is right after a shot or even 5-6 days later. My doc started me out with a 400mg T shot and had me come back 3 weeks later. I felt good the 1st week and into the 2nd week. After about 12 days I actually started feeling worse. By the 21st day I felt crappy. To make a long story shorter, 2 weeks is way too long and you are already back to hypogonadal levels by then. They tested my blood after 13 days into my second 400mg shot. It came back at 232 and didnít feel good. I really need a test after about 6 days and I would also like to know what the level is after 1 day.

Right now I can only go by how I feel daily. I think trying to make the big dosages last longer between shots causes me to probably go well over a 1000 upfront and it doesnít carry you 2 weeks anyway. I actually feel better a few days later than I do right a way. So the T level is probably too high. My second trial is to do 300mg every 10days and see how that feels. And then Iíll try 200mg every 7 days. After I get a little more experience about how I feel each day throughout the shot cycle, that will give me a better idea what T level is most comfortable for me. This would be an ideal day to actually have your blood  T level tested.

I think the average level for someone my age is around 550-600. It could be I am most comfortable around that level instead of 900 or something else. Who knows, since it is an individual thing.

Right now I am guessing my sweet spot will be weekly shots and the dosage will be somewhere between a 100-150mg instead of the 200mg he prescribed. Presently I donít like the big surge upfront and the big drop later trying to stretch out the cycle 2-3 weeks.

I would have preferred the cream to have worked for me, but it didn't. I even tried a 10% compounded cream 100mg/day and my level dropped to 73. Androgel was aslo a failure for me.

Are you using a 10% cream?
56yo, Pre  T level 239
Previous dosage 180mg T.cypionate weekly BW @ 1056 on 7th day of cycle
Previous dosage 100mg T.cypionate weekly BW @   414 on 7th day of cycle

Current dosage  140mg T.cypionate weekly

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2012, 04:41:08 pm »