Quantcast

Author Topic: Compounding Creams vs Androgel  (Read 23589 times)

Quincy

• View Profile
Compounding Creams vs Androgel
« on: July 27, 2012, 11:48:29 am »
I am starting to have my doubts about how much T my skin is able to absorb from the Androgel. Iím still waiting to find out the results of my latest blood test. But if Iím still low, I need to start thinking about another approach. I really donít want to go the shots route, but maybe itís my best bet.

Is there a chance that a compounding cream would work better than the gel? I always thought of the two as being the same thing, but maybe the gel Iím using has other properties in it that makes it more difficult to absorb.
56yo, Pre  T level 239
Previous dosage 180mg T.cypionate weekly BW @ 1056 on 7th day of cycle
Previous dosage 100mg T.cypionate weekly BW @   414 on 7th day of cycle

Current dosage  140mg T.cypionate weekly

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Compounding Creams vs Androgel
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 12:09:21 pm »
I am starting to have my doubts about how much T my skin is able to absorb from the Androgel. Iím still waiting to find out the results of my latest blood test. But if Iím still low, I need to start thinking about another approach. I really donít want to go the shots route, but maybe itís my best bet.

Is there a chance that a compounding cream would work better than the gel? I always thought of the two as being the same thing, but maybe the gel Iím using has other properties in it that makes it more difficult to absorb.

Compounded creams can be formulated to whatever strength (concentration) the doctor wishes.  So absorption is usually not the issue but rather the doctor's prescription. 

In my mind the much more important considerations with compounding are:

1.  Exposure to women and children but, since you are on Androgel, the risk should be fairly equal.

2.  The PLO that is used.  Some of this undoubtedly gets absorbed, so you have to trust the pharmacy to use safe ingredients.
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 12:09:21 pm »

ezsal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 02:39:45 pm »
I got a script from my doc for androgel,when i went to fill it they told me that i would need authorization then they said that there were no refills and i would have to get a new script every month and authorization again, the copay was about $60 a month ( I'm on medicare)
Now the good news: I belong to LIFE EXTENSION foundation, in one of their monthly magazines there was an article on H R T  very informative, and they said that I could purchase testosterone cream (prescription needed) from their compound pharmacy for $39 for a two months supply,I have been using it since last November (100 mgs a day) and I cannot tell you the amazing results that I see and feel, my T was 237 in Nov. now it's 766,  the only concern that I have is,when do I cut back?
I am into health and have been for the last 35 years,I'm 68 and look like 50 and feel like 30

This is an update Sept 29 my birthday
My last blood test Sept 25 showed my testosterone at, get this 2,115 and my free test. at 53 so I will stop supplementation for a couple of weeks and then get another blood test.I really don't feel any bad effects from the high levels,in fact I feel fantastic,  SAL
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 02:19:43 pm by ezsal »

badrad123

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 04:37:30 pm »
Hi Quincy,

I was wondering the same thing. I recently received my blood tests back from my doctor visit a few weeks ago and he said the test
showed that I was most likely absorbing the gel because my LH and FSH were depressed.
However, my total T was 229L (250-1100ng/dl) and my free T was 61.1 (35
-155pg/ml). My other results are as follows:
>
> estradiol - 20 (< or=39 pg/ml)
> FSH <0.7L (1.6-8.0)
> LH 0.5L (1.5-9.3mIU/ml)

I currently do 3 pumps a day and still don't feel any better. I was on 4 pumps a day but all that did was cause my hair to thin and my T to drop to around 189. It's weird that 3 pumps raises it a little more than 4 pumps. My doctor this Friday did another blood t test about 2 hours after I applied my adrogel to verify that it is in fact getting absorbed. He said I could try a compound cream and if that doesn't work then I need to so the weekly shots.

Does anybody know if the FSH and LH can be depressed by androgel gel even if you are not absorbing the gel well enough for the T to get in the blood stream? Maybe it's converting to DHT or perhaps I'm metabolizing much faster.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 04:37:30 pm »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 04:51:03 pm »
I don't think they know what's going on with Androgel yet:  there are so many guys who have a similar experience.  All I can tell you is that if you went to compounding you'd almost for sure double or triple that total testosterone number (if the doc gave a proper concentration) and if you went on pellets you'd triple to quadruple it.  I just don't see how that level of hypogonadal total T can be justified, esp. if you are not feeling better.  Yes, your free T is a little higher percentage wise, which is common for HRT, but you're not feeling better are you? 

Now I don't know what to say about the hair loss.  That's rarely a complaint, but you do here men talk about it.  You'll have to talk to your doc about that one.

Let us know what you think...
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

badrad123

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 04:57:25 pm »
Thanks PeakT.

I'll update once I get my other tests back. I'm almost certainly going to try the compound cream which is about $20 less a month then what my copay is for the Androgel.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 05:19:48 pm »
Thanks PeakT.

I'll update once I get my other tests back. I'm almost certainly going to try the compound cream which is about $20 less a month then what my copay is for the Androgel.

If it's good enough for Barry Bonds, then it ought to be good enough for us doormen, eh? 

badrad123

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 07:09:34 pm »
True

Anon123

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 08:05:09 pm »
$39 for a two months supply

That's just a little less than I pay for my 2 months' supply of fish oil.

It's a totally different world in the USA. In the UK, we can only imagine what it must be like to be treated for a problem like this. Well, at least those who are not well-off.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 05:30:37 am by Cataceous »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 07:10:34 am »

It's a totally different world in the USA. In the UK, we can only imagine what it must be like to be treated for a problem like this. Well, at least those who are not well-off.

What about some of the alternative practitioners such as naturopaths, chiropracters, etc.? 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 05:30:48 am by Cataceous »

Quincy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 07:31:54 am »
Now the good news: I belong to LIFE EXTENSION foundation, in one of their monthly magazines there was an article on H R T  very informative, and they said that I could purchase testosterone cream (prescription needed) from their compound pharmacy for $39 for a two months supply,I have been using it since last November (100 mgs a day) and I cannot tell you the amazing results that I see and feel, my T was 237 in Nov. now it's 766,  the only concern that I have is,when do I cut back?

I don't know the answer to your question but also have concerns about the longterm plan.

On the other hand, I'm encouraged to hear your excellent results from the compounded cream and price sounds very reasonable. If you don't mind me asking, how concentrated is your formula and how much do you have to spread on your skin? Any complaints about its application?

I'm using the Androgel 1.62%, applying 4 pumps (5g of gel) with 81mg of T. The only thing it's done for me is knock my T = 239 down to around T = 160.
56yo, Pre  T level 239

Quincy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 07:42:20 am »
Hi Quincy,

I was wondering the same thing. I recently received my blood tests back from my doctor visit a few weeks ago and he said the test
showed that I was most likely absorbing the gel because my LH and FSH were depressed.
However, my total T was 229L (250-1100ng/dl) and my free T was 61.1 (35
-155pg/ml). My other results are as follows:
>
> estradiol - 20 (< or=39 pg/ml)
> FSH <0.7L (1.6-8.0)
> LH 0.5L (1.5-9.3mIU/ml)

Does anybody know if the FSH and LH can be depressed by androgel gel even if you are not absorbing the gel well enough for the T to get in the blood stream? Maybe it's converting to DHT or perhaps I'm metabolizing much faster.

badrad123, sounds like we had very similar experiences. I actually think I felt pretty good for the first few weeks of treatment. Then it started fading. My working theory is the Androgel is shutting down my natural production (probably took a few weeks to screw up my LH production) and the replacement is much lower than natural production. Why it is doing that is a mystery, but I'm ready to move to something else. The doc wanted me to try slathering on 8 pumps a day, instead of 4.  First of all I have low confidence it would help adequately and second of all that is too much to deal with smearing it on your body morning and evenings.

And if I can find a way to avoid these Big Pharma ripoffs, that would be a cherry on top!
56yo, Pre  T level 239

Anon123

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 07:43:09 am »

What about some of the alternative practitioners such as naturopaths, chiropracters, etc.?

For low T? I think you'd be wasting your time and money on those guys. You said it yourself - you can't get blood out of a stone. If the Leydig cells are damaged, then there's no potion on earth that can fix that.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 05:31:06 am by Cataceous »

CrystalSpiral

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 06:50:19 pm »
Do endos require a specific reason for you to get compounding cream instead of androgel, or can you just say you want it because it's cheaper and they'll prescribe it?

I've also heard on a different site that blood tests have to be done more often (like once a month) on compounding creams, and they require special order or something like that.

This is an old topic btw, I hope bumping this was the best choice.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 08:57:39 pm »
Do endos require a specific reason for you to get compounding cream instead of androgel, or can you just say you want it because it's cheaper and they'll prescribe it?

I've also heard on a different site that blood tests have to be done more often (like once a month) on compounding creams, and they require special order or something like that.

This is an old topic btw, I hope bumping this was the best choice.

This really depends on the doctor I am sure.  Some docs will trust Androgel, because it is QA'd by a large pharmaceutical company.  I know my urologist had no trouble sending me to a compounder and seemed to trust them.  It's really not that big of a deal, because you can test to see if you're on track or not.

I cannot think of any reason to get tested more often with compounding as long as you are going to the same compounder.  Their PLO should be uniform, but you'd have to ask them to make sure.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 08:57:39 pm »