Quantcast

Author Topic: struggling to do push up/press ups  (Read 8650 times)

msr1981

• View Profile
struggling to do push up/press ups
« on: April 24, 2013, 06:54:02 pm »
I just tried to do some push up/press up after a 5 minute ab workout (which was a struggle) and I only managed to do 5. This is pretty poor.
What's the best way to improve on this? I think the average for my age is 35 push up/press ups.

I'm unable to do chins/pull ups due to poor strength levels.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: struggling to do push up/press ups
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 06:59:40 pm »
I just tried to do some push up/press up after a 5 minute ab workout (which was a struggle) and I only managed to do 5. This is pretty poor.
What's the best way to improve on this? I think the average for my age is 35 push up/press ups.

Hey, I'll say the obvious:  you've got to build up muscle and strength.  You'll slowly be able to improve both but be patient with yourself while you're on this diet. 

It is very tough to put on muscle in a low calorie environment and that's what your current regimen is.  So imo your goal should just be to maintain your existing muscle mass, lose the pounds and then afterwards:  get the protein up and begin to put on muscle.

Btw, low carbs give you low energy issues, so this probably contributes as well.

I guess what I'm saying is, once you're off the low cal environment, ask this question again and we'll get you going.  It's just a matter of protein, calories and a good workout.
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 06:59:40 pm »

msr1981

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 07:06:33 pm »
Thanks PeakT. I will focus on losing my bodyfat. I'm hoping to come off this diet by August, subject to body fat levels.

davie12

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 07:41:00 pm »

Hey, I'll say the obvious:  you've got to build up muscle and strength.  You'll slowly be able to improve both but be patient with yourself while you're on this diet. 

It is very tough to put on muscle in a low calorie environment and that's what your current regimen is.  So imo your goal should just be to maintain your existing muscle mass, lose the pounds and then afterwards:  get the protein up and begin to put on muscle.

Btw, low carbs give you low energy issues, so this probably contributes as well.

I guess what I'm saying is, once you're off the low cal environment, ask this question again and we'll get you going.  It's just a matter of protein, calories and a good workout.

I'm pretty good at pushups and am doing weight training to build the muscles for pullups (which I used to be able to do). Although I can do 35 military style pushups, I am doing lat pulls on guided weight machines to get my muscles primed for pullups (hopefully 75% of my body weight 10-12 reps would make me ready).

For pushups, try doing some "women's style" pushups with your knees on the floor as a starting point. Try getting your form down first. When I said "military style," I meant arms at 90 degree angles when your chest approaches the floor. Then try to graduate to a regular pushup after you've built some tricep/pectoral strength. Also, bench press works out some of the same pushup muscle if you want to try that.
Recovering from adrenal fatigue through Paleo diet+exercise+vitamins/supplements; formerly used HCG & Clomid at various dosages

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 07:41:00 pm »

Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 11:18:30 pm »
Also,  if you have one of those pull up assist machines in your gym it can help you start on getting the proper form.   I dont compete with anyone else at the gym and I have never been very strong on pull ups so I will but like 50% assistance and go for form and reps.  I figure if nothing else it builds the minor muscle groups also since I focus on proper form and technique.

For push ups,  focus on your core and barbell presses.  Dont worry about the weight, just focus on form and technique.   I love doing planks for core and then I typically build in 3 sets of 10 pushups on one of those half ball platform things + ball situps to start off my workout.   If I cant do 3 sets i do 2 sets.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 11:21:38 pm by Sam »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 11:32:22 pm »
Also,  if you have one of those pull up assist machines in your gym it can help you start on getting the proper form.   I dont compete with anyone else at the gym and I have never been very strong on pull ups so I will but like 50% assistance and go for form and reps.  I figure if nothing else it builds the minor muscle groups also since I focus on proper form and technique.

For push ups,  focus on your core and barbell presses.  Dont worry about the weight, just focus on form and technique.   I love doing planks for core and then I typically build in 3 sets of 10 pushups on one of those half ball platform things + ball situps to start off my workout.   If I cant do 3 sets i do 2 sets.

Along those lines, volume work in the gym really helps with # pushups once you get to a certain point.  I can probably do double the amount of pushups I could do a year ago because of it.
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

JackAndy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 04:17:03 am »
I wouldn't worry too much about push-ups. In my opinion push-ups should be considered more of a talent rather than an exercise because I did them for years and my strength never improved like it did when I picked up weights. Even now, I'm still not very good at push-ups. Some guys are just naturally very good at it.
5'11" 190 lbs
150mg Test-E/week

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 07:41:33 am »
I wouldn't worry too much about push-ups. In my opinion push-ups should be considered more of a talent rather than an exercise because I did them for years and my strength never improved like it did when I picked up weights. Even now, I'm still not very good at push-ups. Some guys are just naturally very good at it.

Completely agree as far as muscle building.  But they are a great test of what I would call cardiomusculature.  Gymnasts and guys like Jack LaLanne can do these all day and they have incredible physiques.  However, the did not get those physiques from push ups.  It's more of a sign.

davie12

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 01:04:32 pm »

Completely agree as far as muscle building.  But they are a great test of what I would call cardiomusculature.  Gymnasts and guys like Jack LaLanne can do these all day and they have incredible physiques.  However, the did not get those physiques from push ups.  It's more of a sign.

Yes, pushups are cardiomuscular which makes them a great exercise to add to your routine. What I like as well is that you don't need any equipment to do them. You can be traveling on business or on vacation and still do them. I try to incorporate a set in the morning as part of my routine...shower, shave, brush my teeth, pushups, etc. That way I get at least 1 set in. I agree that there isn't any substitute for weights. However, definitely if you do enough pushups to the point of muscle failure you'll notice that your triceps and pectorals will get bigger and it'll help you look more cut.
Recovering from adrenal fatigue through Paleo diet+exercise+vitamins/supplements; formerly used HCG & Clomid at various dosages

JackAndy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 01:41:56 pm »
However, definitely if you do enough pushups to the point of muscle failure you'll notice that your triceps and pectorals will get bigger and it'll help you look more cut.

Yep you can get a pump from push-ups.
5'11" 190 lbs
150mg Test-E/week

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 04:15:00 pm »

Yep you can get a pump from push-ups.

And impress family and friends.  My wife likes yoga and asked me to try a move that was like a burpee that she did in her class with a towel.  I pretended like I didn't hear her and did about 10 and said, "This yoga ain't that bad."  :)

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 04:15:00 pm »