Quantcast

Author Topic: my free T reading...  (Read 7223 times)

feelgood

• View Profile
my free T reading...
« on: August 15, 2012, 03:28:23 pm »
hi guys, Peak -

i mentioned how my total T went from 200 to 627 in a matter of weeks on clomiphene...however i don't think i ever posted my Free T reading. i can't tell where it stands (or stood at the point of the reading, in may).

so it came in at 1.25, out of a scale of 0.95-4.30 ng/dL...

whenever i see free T readings, the number structure does not match up to mine, above.

Peak, what do you say? is it low? is it ok?

i *just* got a new set of labs and will know result of those on the 22nd (and will report back), but i've been meaning to ask this about my free T reading at that time.  The doctor didn't even really mention it...I guess i hope it's higher this time, because does having a total T of 627 yet a low free T make any gains moot?

thanks for any clarity.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: my free T reading...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 06:50:18 pm »
2% is kind of the average from what I have read for guys not on HRT.  (HRT men tend to be a little higher.)  It sound like they gave it in identical units, so you should be at roughly .02*627 = 12.54 ng/dl.  But they usually don't give the units in ng/dl btw...
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 06:50:18 pm »

feelgood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 10:53:23 pm »
so i'm a little low...hmm.

really curious to see how it turns out next week.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 04:41:39 am »
so i'm a little low...hmm.

really curious to see how it turns out next week.

Something ain't right.  Pin 'em down about what is going on...
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 04:41:39 am »

feelgood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 01:40:22 pm »
what does it mean when you have a nice healthy mid-600s totat T reading, but the "free T" is low? does it cancel it out?

thx

feelgood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 01:53:27 pm »
realized i should actually put my own pants on and do some research :)

so sounds like free T is your T that is not bound to SHBG. And it sounds even more important that total T.

So my question is, how do you raise free T? lower your SHBG? Mine is 27, out of a reference range of 10-50 nmol/L

I just want to be well versed with the uro when i go back in....He's pretty good, got me going on the clomiphene treatment, did a great job on my varicocele repair, but i feel like i sort of need to press him/tease things out of him (he's pretty busy it seems).

Thanks!

feelgood

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 02:54:36 pm »

so sounds like free T is your T that is not bound to SHBG. And it sounds even more important that total T.

So my question is, how do you raise free T? lower your SHBG? Mine is 27, out of a reference range of 10-50 nmol/L

I just want to be well versed with the uro when i go back in....He's pretty good, got me going on the clomiphene treatment, did a great job on my varicocele repair, but i feel like i sort of need to press him/tease things out of him (he's pretty busy it seems).

Thanks!

By "mine" i mean my SHBG number....(my free T number is 1.25)

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 06:16:13 pm »

Thanks!

Sorry to be scarce - quite busy indeed.

Your free T seems off to me so ask about it.  Maybe the units are wrong?  Maybe the lab did something wrong?

Here are some answers:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Free_Testosterone_SHBG

FightLowT

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 09:35:52 pm »
I didn't read the link that Lee posted but I have an inkling as to what exactly it relates to. Clomiphene citrate has been known to raise SHBG as will other medications of the SERM class as indicated in a number of studies. Often if a man is secondary which I think is commonly the cause of low testosterone a SERM is used as a stimulation test to see how the testes are working if there is a substantial increase in LH and FSH. The bad news about SHBG is that it pretty much renders free testosterone useless as will albumin as well even with an increase in total serum testosterone levels.

Sometimes a physician once they have confirmed the testes still work and a significant increase was yielded from the SERM medication they are switched to an HCG mono therapy protocol along with an estrogen blocker such as anastrozole. HCG is usually easier to control SHBG levels as long as E2 does not go out of hand. However,HCG commonly increases aromatase activity and estrogen eventually gets out of the healthy range if the blocker medication is not applied correctly. Some men do well on these mono therapies with marked testosterone increases and feet good while others even with the increases do not experience the same benefits as opposed to exogenous testosterone delivery systems.

feelgood

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 10:07:48 pm »
thanks....very helpful.

doesn't seem like my SHGB is/was *that* far out of range though, right? 27 on scale of 10-50....unless those numbers are like the total T guidelines that grossly low ball the low number...

Guess i should not even worry about it until i go in next week, but either way i will make sure i mention this to him if my levels go up even more (this will be like 4.5 months on from that last test, so 4.5 more months of clomiphene could have def raised it more - who knows)

thanks

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 11:27:33 pm »
FightLowT has some great information there.  The only thing I would add, though, is that your number is way out of line by an order of magnitude.  So I'm not sure an increase in SHBG can explain that.  Ask your physician and let us know what you fid out if you think of it...

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 11:27:33 pm »