Quantcast

Author Topic: Young, Low T, High BP  (Read 8562 times)

neversurrender#4

• View Profile
Young, Low T, High BP
« on: August 24, 2012, 02:45:21 pm »
This is a very long message, but I really hope you will look at it and be able to tell me something. Anything. I understand that you are not doctors, but your advice would be greatly appreciated.

My situation:
Iím 20.5 years old. Going to be a sophomore chemical engineer in college. And unable to get hard for a long enough time to have sex with my girlfriend. And she is sexy as hell, so its not her.

Background:
            I come from a very Italian & Catholic family so sex has always been taboo. Parents have pretty much avoided the topic and prevented any situation where I could have sex. However now times have changed and I am in college. I got my first girlfriend in November, and around three months later we tried to have sex (my first time). No luck, I went limp. We laughed it off and thought it was just nerves getting to me. Thatís happened 5 times since then, and thank God my girlfriend actually loves me and hasnít broken up with me. Its taken an emotional toll and I canít help think that its not just nerves anymore.

Sex History:
            Not much. I have always been able to get hard on my own when masturbating.  But recently its been taking longer to get hard (recently, meaning about 5 months ago, right around when I noticed my blood pressure was raising to 128/85). The problem has never been that I canít get hard and ejaculate. The problem is that when its just me it takes longer to get hard, and when Iím with my girl, I get hard pretty fast but I donít have much stamina leading to the ďnervesĒ hypothesis. And, yes, I have ejaculated in front of my girlfriend but obviously never from sex or I wouldnít be writing to you.

Health History:
            I have always been interested in learning about health and debated becoming a biomedical engineer because of my interest. Parents have always also promoted health. My mom is a nurse, dad an engineer. In high school, I did cross country and swimming all four years but I was never really good at them. (I did sleep like 6-7 hours a night in high school because grades were very important to me) However this past year I have dropped cardio significantly. I have been lifting about three times a week and I swim when I lifeguard on my breaks. Healthy eating has also been very important to me. I eat out maybe 1-4 times a month. I eat my fruits and vegetables at almost every meal and for snacks. I eat meat or fish at least once a day and Iíve been trying to keep carbs down (very difficult). Iím trying to eat 5 small meals a say rather than 3 meals with a big Italian dinner. We rarely have junk in the house but I have been trying to get a 6-pack since 8th grade with no luck. Still got those love handles. I like to eat a lot. In college I went form 155 pounds to 175 in fat and muscle because of the dining hall and lifting. At the end of school last semester the doctor found that my blood pressure was 128/85. This summer I went down to 165 pounds, but my mom checked my blood pressureÖ.Iím 130/90 now.

Facts:
Waist: 33 inches
Height: 5ft 9in
Weight: 165
Iím not weak: I can curl 8 reps of 40lbs. I can do 50 push-ups at one time. And I can squat 235 on a smith machine but I usually stay at 185 because of my back.

What I think the Problem is:
            Cardiovascular. I seem strong but my heart may be weak.

Evidence:
My strongest erections are usually in the morning after sleeping (even stronger than when Iím with my girlfriend). When I stand up to get out of bed it usually goes limp almost immediately and it goes away completely within a minute.  I can masturbate standing up but those take the longest to get going.  This leads me to think it is either my heart or blood pressure or both. Fathers Father had strokes and died of a heart attack before reaching 60. Fatherís Mother had type 2 diabetes and died at 70 of a heart attack. Motherís Father Died at age 70 from his second stroke. So I have the genes.  I do not want to be on blood pressure medication. I am one of 5 children and my siblings are all heavier than me because they donít exercise. Both my brothers have man boobs. I still have a good 10lbs to lose before my sixpack will actually show. Iím working on it. Iíve had these damn love handles as long as I can remember.

What Iíve tried:
            The first thing I tried was masturbating more and masturbating less. Masturbating more (three times a day) led to me being tired and sex drive went down. Masturbating less (once every 4 or 5 days) led to increasing drive until about day two of not doing anything. I had the hardest morning erections on day two. After about day two or three of not doing anything, the next day, drive would actually go down and plateau until I felt like doing it again.
            Then I tried avocados. Because I figured that the healthy fat would help produce more testosterone. I hated the taste of avocado and even if I toughed it out, there were minimal results.
            After much research and reading ďFats that Heal, Fats that KillĒ I tried was Udoís oil, which is basically omega 3s. That helped a little. It recommends that you take a tablespoon per 50 pounds of body weight. So for me that would be 3 tablespoons over the course of the day. Thatís a lot of oil and it tasted bad. I stuck to one tablespoon a day and added a menís under 50 multivitamin.
            For the last month I tried organic Hibiscus tea. It is a herbal tea that is supposed to lower blood pressure naturally. For the first week I drank it three times a day. Then I drank it between 1-2 times a day for 3 more weeks. Before I started I was 128/86 and now Iím 130/90. So that didnít help. I did notice however, with hibiscus tea, after I drink it I sweat a good amount even if it is pretty cool out. Recently the same thing has been happening with Cocoa when I tried it the first time. Iím not sure what that means.

What has helped:
Sleeping, lifting, and having Udoís oil once a day helps the most out of what I tried. I do notice a little difference but drinking a tablespoon of oil a day is quite disgusting and its expensive.

What Iím starting to do now:
Eating more Broccoli
Drinking Organic Cocoa every day
Continuing with organic Hibiscus Tea every day
Flossing (promotes heart health)
Tablespoon of Udoís oil once ever other day.
Multivitamin every other day
Running a mile a day. (hopefully I stick to this)

I refuse to give up. This is my life and I want to live it! I hate dealing with this shit. Iím fucking 20 years old and I should be having sex every day. Its taking an emotional and physical toll. I will do whatever it takes to get back to the drive of my horney 17 year old self. It will be difficult to maintain my healthy habits when I go back to school in two days because of the dining hall, but Iím up for the challenge. I desperately want to read your book Peak Erectile Strength Diet, but Iím unfamiliar with ebooks and I donít have any of the other things needed to read the book on. I donít even have an ipod because Iím putting all my money toward books for college.

Timeline:
1. college started
2. 160 pounds
3. problems start(slower to get hard, not as much stamina)
4. tried avocados
5. 175 pounds, bp 128/85
6. summer starts (more lifting and swimming)
7. tried udoís oil
8. 165 pounds
9. tried hibiscus tea
10. blood pressure 130/90
11. Now: school starting again.

And I guess too much of anything is bad for you. My friend showed me this and Iím showing you because I know you like broccoli. Please tell me what you think of this article and if it can be trusted:
http://www.planetkhalifa.com/eating-too-much-broccoli-can-cause-sexual-dysfunction-and-mental-retardation/

Thanks for your help.  If you can think of any additional thing for me to do, please please, give me your input. Iím not looking for a magic pill. Iím looking for science that works.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Young, Low T, High BP
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 04:13:51 pm »
Well, sorry to hear about the struggles.  But I will say this:  go biomed!  We need you out there, so I hope you'll give that strong consideration.

Well, you brought up many topics, so here's just a few comments:

--Usually young guys do not have blood pressure issues, but it certainly can happen of course.  Question:  how much are you sleeping now?  Do you feel under a lot of stress?

--Any chance you are consuming more salt than you realize?  Some people are salt sensitive.

--Both the DASH and Low Fat Diets will lower blood pressure pretty significantly.  You may want to do some research on those.  Here are some other ideas.  (Always discuss with your doctor, especially if you are on medications, which I think you said you are not at this point.)

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Erectile_Dysfunction_High_Blood_Pressure

--Considering how young you are, there is some chance it is psychogenic (psychological).  Us males get super stressed out when anything goes wrong downstairs or we have one negative experience.  I would guess that is not your whole issue based on your blood pressure #s, but you've got to work on mastering this part of it as well.

--No back injuries?  Bike riding?

--I highly recommend that you read my link on PMR (Progressive Muscle Relaxation) and read up on meditation.  You mentioned that you had a Catholic background, so let me just say that there are many great books/sites on meditation that do not have any religious connotations.  I am hoping to do a page on that soon but haven't had time.

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Progressive_Muscle_Relaxation
http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Stress_Management

--PM me about the book.  I'll get you a copy one way or the other.

Gotta run.  If I missed some things, hit me up again...
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 04:13:51 pm »

neversurrender#4

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 06:11:14 pm »
Right now I sleep about 7-8 hours a night. I have been feeling like I donít have the ability to sleep as much as in my teen years ever since this started. About a year ago I could sleep ten hours if I really wanted, but now if I attempt that, I wake up several times.  My usual sleep time is, sadly, 1am to 9am, or 2am to 9am. Like I said I could stay in bed until 11 or noon, but I wake up several times. I usually wake up and go back to sleep at least once before getting out of bed. Usually around the 6-8am mark. But that may be normal because I used to wake up at 6am for school and highschool.

As far as stress. Yeah I feel stress. I feel a lot of stress from my parents to do well in school and to get an internship. That, mixed with the fact that depression runs in our family, is not a pretty picture. I have my low moments, but Iím not the giving up kind. My girlfriend even says she feels the stress of my parents, and sheís not over my house that much because of it. She thinks they donít like her because sheís not Italian & Catholic. She always tells me Iím more stressed when Iím at home too.

I am not on any medications, thank God, and the only salt that is in my food is from when I season foods that I fry in olive oil. We donít have many processed foods, in my family and my parents usually feed us much like the DASH diet already. The exception being nuts and legumes, and maybe a little more meat. For example, last nightís dinner was a turkey burger, cherries, raspberries, blueberries, grapes, (we went hard on the fruit last night for some reason) ravioli with red sauce, broccoli, and salad (lettuce, carrots, celery, spinach, with olive oil, salt, vinegar, and pepper). Seriously, not a bad meal. HOWEVER, I have been told by my friends, that I eat very healthy, but I eat a lot. (that meal was dinner, usually the biggest meal at my house) I eat worse at my girlfriends house haha. But mostly because they eat out more often and have real desert like cookies and ice cream instead of fruit. It will also be harder to eat healthy in college because of the dining hall as I talked about in my previous post (gaining 20lb that fast probably isnít a good thing haha) Regardless of our diet, my father and I still have high blood pressure, my mom just checked mine again it was 134/88, HIS blood pressure is 140-150/90 WITH medication. I know it affects my parents sex life because my mother told me about it when she had a confidential conversation with me about sex and why it shouldnít be done until marriage. (her opinion was that sex and other physical things blind you to the other personís flaws that could become an issue when you live with them in the future, and that sex may not always be around, but thatís besides the point) I know his fate is mine if I donít change something.

I agree with you on that it may be part psychogenic considering my sex history, or lack of. Compounded with the fact that in the back of my head I know my parents would NOT be proud that Iím trying to have sex before marriage. On the other side, I know they love me, but its impossible to make them proud of anything.

Back injury was from dead lifting. I lifted 185 pounds off the ground and pulled something in my lower back. Its gotten much better, but it still doesnít feel the same yet. Iíve stopped dead lifting. And I donít do it often, but I do love biking, I biked to my girlís house and back twice this summer. (20 miles) itís a hobby I should do more often, it just takes a chunk time.

I have read both links on stress on PMR when I looked on your website previous my posting.  In my mind PMR does seem just a little silly, but Iíll give it a try.

neversurrender#4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 06:13:09 pm »
and thank you for replaying so fast, you are so much help. there is so much information out there, it is amazing to have some guidance

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 06:13:09 pm »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 06:49:28 pm »
Just got a second:

--Back injuries can affect erectile strength, although I doubt that's it in your case.  But you might want to get it checked out.

--Watch those bike seats!  You're not biking much, so I doubt that's it.  But just do a search on my site and the forum and you'll find out the underlying issues there (pudendal nerve).

Gotta run - sorry...
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

neversurrender#4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 06:57:14 pm »
haha its fine, i'm on the run too. any response is a good response. i've heard about both problems before and i doubt its either of them. my problems started before any of that occurred anyway.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 08:37:42 pm »
Hmmm.  You are a puzzling case cuzz you're young and doing a lot of thing sright.  Sounds like it's genetic, but I wouldn't just assume that, i.e. make sure you get checked at the doc as kidney and other medical issues can cause an elevations in blood pressure.

In the meantime, I'd work on the stuff you can:  really drop the salt; control your stress; etc.  I had a spat of high blood pressure and it went away after I stopped overtraining and managed stress better.

Btw, you should read up on fish.  Many experts recommend no more than once or twice per week, especially if it's one of certain breeds. 

makingsteel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 10:01:15 pm »
What about the Obvious PEAK T, Maybe he should get his T checked?

Thisguy

• Uno Dos Tres! This is how you count.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 04:36:58 am »
 Hi NS#4, I also share some of your problems. I'm 21 and have been dealing with many of the symptoms of low T since I was 13. The biggie I should've told the pediatrician even then was ED. I can't get hard the natural way, you know, just happening because of a good looking woman, but I have to play around and then it drops right off if I stop. The good thing that'll come out of this is the new lifestyle, but also the pelvic muscle group is the only reason I can hard at all, so at least I'll be better in bed than a total virgin.

My problem was I didn't know there was a problem until I realized from watching certain adult programs that 'hey, I'm not having erections the right way.' Yeah, it's the stupidest way to find out about a disease. I went to the doctor and started connecting the dots, then I came here and it's saved my life. My testosterone level was 184 at the end of July, and after implementing a weight loss program of walking a half hour a day and eating just a tiny bit better (mainly more than before, but I wasn't eating enough to start), I feel a lot better and I've lost 10 lbs in 2 months. That's huge for someone who's been 260+ since 9th grade.

So I don't really have anything to say about genetics or heredity, and I'm envious that you grew up with such knowledgable parents, but I do want to say it does get better with just the smallest bit of change. It may not feel like it, but it's there, and once you realize it, you want it to stay. I have so much more energy and I can think more.

And I'm an atheist, but I think what you're looking for is the reason your parents won't be having grandchildren even when you're married. It seems like a good enough excuse if they ever do say anything about your digging into this problem.
 Also, try not to take it too hard when your parents want more for you in life. For a while my mom kept saying 'what are we gonna do with you?' like I'm a bad habit that just won't quit. I finally just let that brush over me and told myself I'm doing what I can to get my life where it needs to be. That's all you can do too (I'm sure you're not letting any opportunities go to waste) , and possibly have fun sometimes. Girlfriends have been known to do that, and not always with sex. Tell her you love her, or make her know you care for her a bunch. Whatever you need to do, make sure she knows she's not there just to sit around and look good. This is coming from a complete romantic virgin, so grain of salt, but I think I'd like to know what I'm doing isn't a waste.
Find a happy medium, and go for it.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 05:24:09 am »
What about the Obvious PEAK T, Maybe he should get his T checked?

Yes, definitely!  Sorry I left that out. 

werd200

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 07:35:30 am »
Try to cut down to 7% body-fat and go to a gym and get a body-fat count. With abs you usually either develop them well or you don't, not everyone can develop abs and sometimes it's naturally underdeveloped. However do whatever you can to do get to 7-9% body-fat and do a workout routine that includes 200-300 crunches(both weighted, regular, sided and reverse), use an ab machine at the gym and get them to appear. If you want, i could send you a book that gives you a variety of exercises that should help.

Depending on conditions, they'll start to grow after 2-3 weeks. Also i've been reading around the internet about ED... it's becoming more and more common, i've read cases of men who're in their 20s, who'd by all counts be the last ones you'd think of having ED, not being to keep an erection for a minute. Just eat nutritious food, exercise on a regular basis and try to get deep sleep and your erectile quality will increase significantly( i was able to increase my erection strength from just below a minute to 2-3 minute unstimulated and i'm a fat guy weighing 220 pounds, which means i could probably increase the time with weight loss), you'd also make good use of trying too follow PeakT's advice on endocrinal disruptors and health harming habits.

If you do get a testosterone checkup, ask for the following:
Serum/total testosterone
SHBG
Estrogen
LH
FH
Free testosterone

and if you still have erectile issues even after lifestyle adjustments(eating right, sleeping right and exercising right) and have no visible problems with testosterone you should try for a full check up.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 07:53:12 am by werd200 »

neversurrender#4

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 07:20:08 pm »
thanks makingsteel, thisguy, PeakT, and werd200, i have a few questions though.
it feels a little better not to be alone with this problem at my age, but then again creepy because i don't have many obvious problems i can fix besides blood pressure. i'm going to get my body fat % checked when i go back to school and i'll aim for 7% in the future but any specific reason why 7? I will seriously consider getting my T checked in the near future but it will be difficult because i won't be home on the weekdays often. maybe i could get it checked at school? if/when i do get it checked i will ask for:
Serum/total testosterone
SHBG
Estrogen
LH
FH
Free testosterone
werd200:
what do you mean a full checkup of i don't see anything wrong with testosterone? and yes i would like to see the book, i always love trying new exercises
on a side note, i wanted to get my cholesterol checked (about a week ago) because i read in men's health that its good to get it checked at 20 to have a baseline in the future. i'll keep you updated on that and if i get my T checked.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 08:38:05 pm »
Werd's point is very good.  It's very hard on a forum to really go through lifestyle issues in detail.  It's possible, for example, for you have a nutritional deficiency that could be causing problems.  This is very common:  one of our posters, Naturopath, actually verified this in his practice and in a study.  This was in the U.K., but it's probably worse here in the States. 

Here are some other ideas and a few simple explanations on some of the testing that one can have done:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Testosterone_Tests

werd200

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 10:24:41 pm »
it feels a little better not to be alone with this problem at my age, but then again creepy because i don't have many obvious problems i can fix besides blood pressure. i'm going to get my body fat % checked when i go back to school and i'll aim for 7% in the future but any specific reason why 7?
at 7-10% body-fat, when you're building muscle, the lack fatty tissue surrounding muscle will make gains more visible and more marked(toned). People who have abs usually have a low body-fat count. Besides having a low-body fat count ensures optimal hormonal functioning.

werd200:
what do you mean a full checkup of i don't see anything wrong with testosterone? and yes i would like to see the book, i always love trying new exercises
It's possible your issues don't have anything to do with testosterone, but with other hormones or nutritional deficiencies like PeakT said, you never know until you screen. Check your PM for the book.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 10:24:41 pm »