Quantcast

Author Topic: Low Ferritin but Optimal Thyroid  (Read 10808 times)

Yub yub

• View Profile
Re: Low Ferritin but Optimal Thyroid
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 04:07:03 am »
So another dr I saw said my ferritin is low and it certainly is contributing to anxiety/libido issues (due to low dopamine/high NE). My TSH also ideally should be <1 and it isn't cause T3 may not be getting into the brain properly due to low ferritin. Ferritin is needed for hormones to work properly at the cellular level so even if your hormones are the right level things can still be off due to low ferritin.

Electrify,

Did the doc recommend you do anything to increase ferritin levels or things he's going to look into further? I'm curious, I've been on 260mg elemental iron now for about 1 week and a half. I'm going to get ferritin levels checked again here in 3 weeks and if it's still low my doc is referring me out to hematologist- I think I'm also going to ask to see a gastroenterologist.
Height: 5'9
Pre TRT Weight: 148 lbs.- March 01
Weight: 165 lbs- May 11
Current Weight: 170 lbs- June 20

Pre TRT Labs- February 2015
LH: 4.1 mIU/mL (range 1.5 - 9.3)
FSH: 5.8 mIU/mL (range 1.4 -18.1)
Prolactin: 12 ng/mL (range 2.1- 17.7)
Total T3: 113 ng/dL (range 55-172)
SHBG: 26 nmol/L (range 10-57)
Total Testosterone: 337 ng/dL (range 280-854)
Free Testosterone: 99.5 pg/mL (range 47- 244)
Estradiol: 18 pg/mL (range 3-70)

1 Month TRT Labs- April 2015
LH: <0.3 mIU/mL (range 1.5 - 9.3) Low
FSH: <0.1 mIU/mL (range 1.4 -18.1) Low
Total Testosterone: 569 ng/dL (range 280-854)
Estradiol: 58 pg/mL (range 3-70)

electrify

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 04:21:20 am »
Well he suspected that my diet was the reason for low ferritin and so I didn't get a gastroenterology referral and I don't have any GI symptoms (except nausea/gagging but thats more in the throat for me due to anxiety).

I was only taking 50 mg/day of iron but now I will be taking a better iron supplement with 50 mg twice a day= 100 mg. That 29 ferritin number was actually from like January so I had it tested again along with zinc, copper, B12, and adrenal hormones and we will see where to go from there. My Zinc intake is being upped to 50 mg/day (with 2 mg Cu). He wants to see if T can come up naturally like it did from 420-->520 randomly which supposedly means that I might be able to solve my low T naturally.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 04:21:20 am »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2015, 02:36:19 pm »

Electrify,

Did the doc recommend you do anything to increase ferritin levels or things he's going to look into further? I'm curious, I've been on 260mg elemental iron now for about 1 week and a half. I'm going to get ferritin levels checked again here in 3 weeks and if it's still low my doc is referring me out to hematologist- I think I'm also going to ask to see a gastroenterologist.

Read your post.  So what symptoms do you have that you think low ferritin caused?  And what did the NP say - what was she concerned about with regards to the low ferritin?  I have read that it can cause noradrenaline / dopamine dysfunction but haven't researched it much yet. 

Does your NP see good results raising ferritin? 

Also, if you don't mind me asking a million questions, how did you get the low ferritin?  Any idea?  Hypothyroidism?  GI / gut issues?
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

electrify

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 05:08:42 am »

Electrify,

Read your post.  So what symptoms do you have that you think low ferritin caused?  And what did the NP say - what was she concerned about with regards to the low ferritin?  I have read that it can cause noradrenaline / dopamine dysfunction but haven't researched it much yet. 

Does your NP see good results raising ferritin? 

Also, if you don't mind me asking a million questions, how did you get the low ferritin?  Any idea?  Hypothyroidism?  GI / gut issues?

I was also told that low ferritin could contribute toward my anxiety and libido issues as well cause it helps control norepinephrine. It might also be a factor in the fogginess I experience sometimes. Hopefully it helps--the summer is a great time for me to rebuild my body's physiology.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 05:08:42 am »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 05:59:33 am »

I was also told that low ferritin could contribute toward my anxiety and libido issues as well cause it helps control norepinephrine. It might also be a factor in the fogginess I experience sometimes. Hopefully it helps--the summer is a great time for me to rebuild my body's physiology.

Got it.  Well, let us know how it goes...It can take awhile to pull up.
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Yub yub

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2015, 02:34:13 am »
Well he suspected that my diet was the reason for low ferritin and so I didn't get a gastroenterology referral and I don't have any GI symptoms (except nausea/gagging but thats more in the throat for me due to anxiety).

I was only taking 50 mg/day of iron but now I will be taking a better iron supplement with 50 mg twice a day= 100 mg. That 29 ferritin number was actually from like January so I had it tested again along with zinc, copper, B12, and adrenal hormones and we will see where to go from there. My Zinc intake is being upped to 50 mg/day (with 2 mg Cu). He wants to see if T can come up naturally like it did from 420-->520 randomly which supposedly means that I might be able to solve my low T naturally.

Okay, thanks for the reply. Please let me know if you see any improvements with your symptoms from supplementing. I have yet to see any after several weeks but this is to be expected. I've been doing a lot of research online and it appears it can take many months (6-12 months) to restore ferritin levels through oral supplements- this being one does not have any GI issues like IBS, H Pylori infection, Celiacs...

I found an interesting article with good info on treating iron deficiency anemia if you're interested
http://www.uptodate.com/contents/treatment-of-the-adult-with-iron-deficiency-anemia#H22

I have considered discussing with my doc in the near future getting intra-venous injections of iron to boost ferritin levels much faster, though I believe this is generally reserved for more serious case of anemia.
Height: 5'9
Pre TRT Weight: 148 lbs.- March 01
Weight: 165 lbs- May 11
Current Weight: 170 lbs- June 20

Pre TRT Labs- February 2015
LH: 4.1 mIU/mL (range 1.5 - 9.3)
FSH: 5.8 mIU/mL (range 1.4 -18.1)
Prolactin: 12 ng/mL (range 2.1- 17.7)
Total T3: 113 ng/dL (range 55-172)
SHBG: 26 nmol/L (range 10-57)
Total Testosterone: 337 ng/dL (range 280-854)
Free Testosterone: 99.5 pg/mL (range 47- 244)
Estradiol: 18 pg/mL (range 3-70)

1 Month TRT Labs- April 2015
LH: <0.3 mIU/mL (range 1.5 - 9.3) Low
FSH: <0.1 mIU/mL (range 1.4 -18.1) Low
Total Testosterone: 569 ng/dL (range 280-854)
Estradiol: 58 pg/mL (range 3-70)

electrify

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2015, 11:50:28 pm »
Hmm I was supplementing some iron since January when I had a ferritin of 29 and did this test at the end of May and the Ferritin level only rose to 31. Could be a bad iron supplement but hopefully my dr looks into this and rules out if there are any GI issues that I'm unaware of. I just don't have any noticeable GI symptoms. Also had other iron numbers done as well.

TIBC: 349 ug/dL (250-450)
UIBC: 269 ug/dL (150-375)
Iron, Serum: 80 ug/dL (40-155)
%Iron Saturation: 23% (15-55)

Ferritin: 31 ng/mL (30-400)
Transferrin: 302 mg/dL (200-370)

Vit B12: 821 pg/mL (211-946)
Folate: 11.9 ng/mL (>3.0)

Can low ferritin be one of the causes of low T by the way?

explorer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2015, 12:19:48 am »
Can low ferritin be one of the causes of low T by the way?

I think low T can be caused by excess iron, i.e., high ferritin. Ferritin and testosterone are negatively correlated. Sometimes however excess iron and deficiency have the same symptom. Low ferritin can also be caused by hypothyroidism.

Having a good Vitamin D level can improve absorption of iron according to a study.

Your ferritin and saturation numbers suggest that you at least don't have excess. But your saturation number looks good. I think there are problems when you go below 17, so maybe you don't have either excess or deficiency, just hypothyroidism or something that reduces ferritin.

One new marker for iron stores that apparently is very good is the ratio of the transferrin receptor and ferritin.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 12:28:33 am by explorer »

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2015, 12:19:48 am »