Quantcast

Author Topic: Depression, High Cholesterol and Low T  (Read 82990 times)

bubba29

• View Profile
Re: Depression, High Cholesterol and Low T
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 12:19:43 pm »
He is 33

wow, that is awfully young to have all that going on and be on all that medication.  has he had any other health issues in the past?  does he have any other health conditions not already mentioned in this thread?  is he active? how is his stress?  how is his body composition?
here is a blogpost that is very pertinent: http://escapetheherdblog.blogspot.com/2010/10/are-you-driver-or-just-passenger.html

here is an interesting book review you may want to check out.  book is simply called "Don't Die Early".  I have nothing to do with it or the site but it may help.  http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2012/09/06/book-review-dont-die-early/

insightfull health and wellness books i've read are The Braintrust Program,  The Great Cholesterol Con, Protein Power, Paleo Solution, The Primal Blueprint, and Trick and Treat

anonymous11

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 01:04:47 pm »
I know, he is way too young for this. He is active, but works in an office so that doesn't help. In the past he took lots of pain pills and did stupid things occasionally. Maybe it contributed to his problems, who knows. He looks normal and is in great shape.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 01:04:47 pm »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 01:15:07 pm »
He looks normal and is in great shape.

And he's young.  That's huge.  It's remarkable what you can do to your body before about age 35 and bounce back very rapidly...

THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

anonymous11

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 06:21:55 pm »
Peak T:

My husband had the nerves to tell me that I contributed to his problems. He said I caused him a lot of stress. Of course It's stressful, I am not going to be quiet and let this be. I am only 29 and I'm not going to make him feel like things are always ok. Sometimes I try to be patient, but most times I have something to say because I am constantly trying to find info on how to help him. Maybe I could blame him for stressing me out. This is personal, even with everything, I still initiate you know what almost every single night. I just don't want him to go dead. Even after he makes me feel like nothing, I am strong enough to get up and try again. How could I be the blame? What about single guys, who dropped their testosterone? Make no damn sense. I will keep trying to help him.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 06:21:55 pm »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 09:02:09 pm »
Well, you know how that goes:  what a person says is not what he means and my guess is that this is the case here.  He's basically saying - I'm not there of course so I admit this is wild speculation actually - "Back off.  I'm not dealing with that now."

Let me mention a profound but sad truth:  sometimes guys will not change without a 2 X 4.  Most guys that I know that have improved their health is not through a steely discipline or a lover of their family, but rather from some major health trauma that forced them to change.  It's sad but very true.

It sounds like you did get your husband to change a few things, so that's very admirable.  But, if he doesn't do it himself, how long will it last?  If you've really tried and done all you can, what else can you really do?  To me it sounds like he's saying, "You can't make me.  I'm not changing now." 

I guess what I'm encouraging you to do, and I've mentioned this before, is to take care of yourself.  Do the best you can with your husband, but watch after your own health and well-being.  Watching a loved one injure him or herself is very painful and disturbing, especially for women. 

Again, you've got to focus on stress reduction, cortisol management and positive outlets for yourself to make sure you don't get injured as well.  What good is it going to do for both of you to be out of commission?

By the way, I don't mean to sound gloom and doom.  Men can and will change.  But it seems to take a pivotal event for them generally.  Just look at this forum.  Most men arrived here because they have erectile dysfunction and related issues.  And many of them are now exercising, eating healthy and greatly improving their health.  Sometimes you gotta hit us where it counts I'm afraid...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:04:24 pm by PeakT »
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

anonymous11

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 04:44:21 am »
He did basically say "you cant make me and I am not changing now" He even told me he wants me to suffer because of his problems, only when I make him feel like dirt about it. He definitely blames me for this.

What wife wouldn't be upset after being rejected so many times? I am not the easiest person to deal with, but I know one thing for sure. I love my husband and I am trying to help him. I think he tries a lot in his eyes, but it's not enough for me. I see no results and it's upsetting. Like I said before, I am not giving up. I have a husband who hates me and now his doctors will soon hate me too.
I am secure enough to not care about being blamed for someone else's medical problems. I could take blame for causing him stress but don't be so stupid to blame me for lowering your testosterone.

I blame his mom, how does that sound? that's just as crazy as him blaming me.

This website is awesome. Thanks Peak T for allowing people to share information on this topic.

bubba29

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 08:03:46 am »
Peak T:

My husband had the nerves to tell me that I contributed to his problems. He said I caused him a lot of stress. Of course It's stressful, I am not going to be quiet and let this be. I am only 29 and I'm not going to make him feel like things are always ok. Sometimes I try to be patient, but most times I have something to say because I am constantly trying to find info on how to help him. Maybe I could blame him for stressing me out. This is personal, even with everything, I still initiate you know what almost every single night. I just don't want him to go dead. Even after he makes me feel like nothing, I am strong enough to get up and try again. How could I be the blame? What about single guys, who dropped their testosterone? Make no damn sense. I will keep trying to help him.

it is sad but i know way more people that would prefer to pop pills than make any real, effective changes.  pills do not fix the underlying problem(s), they only mask the symptoms.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 09:19:41 am »
He did basically say "you cant make me and I am not changing now" He even told me he wants me to suffer because of his problems, only when I make him feel like dirt about it. He definitely blames me for this.

What wife wouldn't be upset after being rejected so many times? I am not the easiest person to deal with, but I know one thing for sure. I love my husband and I am trying to help him. I think he tries a lot in his eyes, but it's not enough for me. I see no results and it's upsetting. Like I said before, I am not giving up. I have a husband who hates me and now his doctors will soon hate me too.
I am secure enough to not care about being blamed for someone else's medical problems. I could take blame for causing him stress but don't be so stupid to blame me for lowering your testosterone.

This website is awesome. Thanks Peak T for allowing people to share information on this topic.

Sorry to hear about all of this of course.  I'll just say the obvious again:  it's very painful to watch someone destroy their health.  Furthermore, it affects family and friends since it can affect finances, sex lives, relationships and mental health.

But the reality is that it is extremely common.  Your husband's case is very blatant, but the great majority of Westerners do the same thing with poor diet, being sedentary, smoking, excessive alcohol and on and on. 

Let me ask this:  how many of your husband's friends and family are the picture of health and fitness?  Probably almost no one.  Often men have no models around them and even associate poor health habits (drinking, drugs, sitting around, etc.) with manliness.  It's very dysfunctional but true...

bubba29

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2012, 09:49:52 am »

Sorry to hear about all of this of course.  I'll just say the obvious again:  it's very painful to watch someone destroy their health.  Furthermore, it affects family and friends since it can affect finances, sex lives, relationships and mental health.

But the reality is that it is extremely common.  Your husband's case is very blatant, but the great majority of Westerners do the same thing with poor diet, being sedentary, smoking, excessive alcohol and on and on. 

Let me ask this:  how many of your husband's friends and family are the picture of health and fitness?  Probably almost no one.  Often men have no models around them and even associate poor health habits (drinking, drugs, sitting around, etc.) with manliness.  It's very dysfunctional but true...

i concur.  seems men care more about the appearance of their cars and yards than their own body.  it frustrates the hell out of me but it is what it is.

anonymous11

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2012, 12:03:33 pm »
I think he should be here seeking help. I didn't get sleep last night worrying about him. Time to focus on myself. I have to share a story. My sister's boyfriend did blood work the other day and his cholesterol was very high. The doctor tried to write him a prescription and he refused. Now he works out every day and is very determined to get better without medication. He told the doctor give me 3 months and I should be ok. I am proud of people like him. Not that my husband intentionally tried to hurt himself. He just didn't know about side effects, but now he does.  So here is the plan.

I am going to let him take the anti-depressants for now, temporarily or until his levels get back up and he feels better.

As for the crestor, I told him to quit taking it for 3 months. Let me cook something healthy every day, no drinking, eating out, medications and of course work out every single day. Then get tested to see if he improved. Maybe test once a month. He agreed and then accused me of wanting him to be dead without his medication. I don't even rate 3 months to make my husband healthier, but his doctor gets to ruin his life by writing a prescription. I might as well feed him junk and ruin him even more.

What do you guys think about the plan to lower cholesterol? Don't you think I deserve a chance? I get to be healthy too. Its a win win situation. Lee, I will never forget what you said, you told me:

"Sometimes people get tired of being miserable"

I share this with him all the time and one day I think he will get tired of it. I do think its an American thing. A pill for everything. They get enough sex from tv, computer, magazines, strangers but not their own wives. Time to find an older guy. They seem to think more about health, because they have to keep up with someone like me lol. Please do not get offended anyone reading this. This is real life stuff and I get to vent out anonymously.

anonymous11

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2012, 12:16:00 pm »
His family is not close, but I think they are healthy people overall. They work out, but they all drink a lot. My husband was in the best shape when we first met. He is all about working out etc... But lately medication seems to work better for him. He did drugs occasionally after we met and a whole lot in the past.

I could find him a new role model since he doesn't have one close by. Another man should do the trick. He would shape his ass up in a hurry. But I am not like that. I am stubborn and determined to make my marriage work. I will give it another year so I don't feel like a quitter.

bubba29

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2012, 12:29:23 pm »
I think he should be here seeking help. I didn't get sleep last night worrying about him. Time to focus on myself. I have to share a story. My sister's boyfriend did blood work the other day and his cholesterol was very high. The doctor tried to write him a prescription and he refused. Now he works out every day and is very determined to get better without medication. He told the doctor give me 3 months and I should be ok. I am proud of people like him. Not that my husband intentionally tried to hurt himself. He just didn't know about side effects, but now he does.  So here is the plan.

I am going to let him take the anti-depressants for now, temporarily or until his levels get back up and he feels better.

As for the crestor, I told him to quit taking it for 3 months. Let me cook something healthy every day, no drinking, eating out, medications and of course work out every single day. Then get tested to see if he improved. Maybe test once a month. He agreed and then accused me of wanting him to be dead without his medication. I don't even rate 3 months to make my husband healthier, but his doctor gets to ruin his life by writing a prescription. I might as well feed him junk and ruin him even more.

What do you guys think about the plan to lower cholesterol? Don't you think I deserve a chance? I get to be healthy too. Its a win win situation. Lee, I will never forget what you said, you told me:

"Sometimes people get tired of being miserable"

I share this with him all the time and one day I think he will get tired of it. I do think its an American thing. A pill for everything. They get enough sex from tv, computer, magazines, strangers but not their own wives. Time to find an older guy. They seem to think more about health, because they have to keep up with someone like me lol. Please do not get offended anyone reading this. This is real life stuff and I get to vent out anonymously.

i would also get his CRP tested and A1C tested if it hasn't already been done.  he may have more going on than "high" cholesterol.  what are his triglycerides?

anonymous11

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2012, 12:46:41 pm »
What are those? I think everything might be normal. Is this the same test for a routine check up. I will have to ask him about that.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2012, 03:17:22 pm »
From what I understand fasting insulin is actually more reliable at detecting insulin resistance.  Here are more tests to consider at some point:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/testosterone_tests.aspx

anonymous11

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2012, 04:09:21 pm »
Hello everyone. I am here in the house looking at my wife's forum that she started. I read the entire thing. My triglycerides are in the normal range. I tried the whole eating right and exercising regularly on a daily basis without any medication a couple years back after I found my HDL and LDL cholesterol was at high risk for heart disease with terrible numbers to show for it. When I was doing everything right, my cholesterol was still horrible. I tried Simvastatin and had terribly high CK levels so doc changed me to Crestor. As soon as I took that, my levels lowered. I never made any changes except medicine and it went to normal. My mom and family have a history of high cholesterol. What am I supposed to do? I tried it all. It is very discouraging. Then in the last year, I get slapped in the face with low T. This month it was 72. What the heck do you all want me to do? I work out now regularly and do care, however, I now feel my brain with 100 pound weights inside it. I ran 2 miles today to see if I can sweat out my 100 pound weight inside my brain.Don't only look at my wife's words without hearing my story. I will try to stop Crestor for 3 months and then do a cholesterol test and see where I am. I will give that a shot. My urologist is horrible. They will not give me anything stronger than Androgel. I guess they want me to have a 0 score and practically a walking zombie to get something better. I feel super depressed now. It is major. 50 mg of Sentraline(generic Zoloft) is not cutting it. I am rolling downhill fast right now. I am making the adjustments but lets be truthful....I have done the right things in the past but it leads me right back into where I am at right now.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2012, 04:09:21 pm »