Quantcast

Author Topic: Depression, High Cholesterol and Low T  (Read 82995 times)

bubba29

• View Profile
Re: Depression, High Cholesterol and Low T
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2012, 04:31:35 pm »
Hello everyone. I am here in the house looking at my wife's forum that she started. I read the entire thing. My triglycerides are in the normal range. I tried the whole eating right and exercising regularly on a daily basis without any medication a couple years back after I found my HDL and LDL cholesterol was at high risk for heart disease with terrible numbers to show for it. When I was doing everything right, my cholesterol was still horrible. I tried Simvastatin and had terribly high CK levels so doc changed me to Crestor. As soon as I took that, my levels lowered. I never made any changes except medicine and it went to normal. My mom and family have a history of high cholesterol. What am I supposed to do? I tried it all. It is very discouraging. Then in the last year, I get slapped in the face with low T. This month it was 72. What the heck do you all want me to do? I work out now regularly and do care, however, I now feel my brain with 100 pound weights inside it. I ran 2 miles today to see if I can sweat out my 100 pound weight inside my brain.Don't only look at my wife's words without hearing my story. I will try to stop Crestor for 3 months and then do a cholesterol test and see where I am. I will give that a shot. My urologist is horrible. They will not give me anything stronger than Androgel. I guess they want me to have a 0 score and practically a walking zombie to get something better. I feel super depressed now. It is major. 50 mg of Sentraline(generic Zoloft) is not cutting it. I am rolling downhill fast right now. I am making the adjustments but lets be truthful....I have done the right things in the past but it leads me right back into where I am at right now.

i am sure you have done what you are told.  problem is the typical prescription is based on bad science.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWZq0bx8cXA&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8WA5wcaHp4&feature=plcp

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2012, 08:59:41 pm »
Hello everyone. I am here in the house looking at my wife's forum that she started. I read the entire thing. My triglycerides are in the normal range. I tried the whole eating right and exercising regularly on a daily basis without any medication a couple years back after I found my HDL and LDL cholesterol was at high risk for heart disease with terrible numbers to show for it. When I was doing everything right, my cholesterol was still horrible. I tried Simvastatin and had terribly high CK levels so doc changed me to Crestor. As soon as I took that, my levels lowered. I never made any changes except medicine and it went to normal. My mom and family have a history of high cholesterol. What am I supposed to do? I tried it all. It is very discouraging. Then in the last year, I get slapped in the face with low T. This month it was 72. What the heck do you all want me to do? I work out now regularly and do care, however, I now feel my brain with 100 pound weights inside it. I ran 2 miles today to see if I can sweat out my 100 pound weight inside my brain.Don't only look at my wife's words without hearing my story. I will try to stop Crestor for 3 months and then do a cholesterol test and see where I am. I will give that a shot. My urologist is horrible. They will not give me anything stronger than Androgel. I guess they want me to have a 0 score and practically a walking zombie to get something better. I feel super depressed now. It is major. 50 mg of Sentraline(generic Zoloft) is not cutting it. I am rolling downhill fast right now. I am making the adjustments but lets be truthful....I have done the right things in the past but it leads me right back into where I am at right now.

Well, thx for coming on.  My testosterone was never as low as yours but I got down into the upper 200's and that was miserable.  And young guys tend to be affected more from what I've seen, so I cannot imagine what you are going through.

Let me jump to the most important thing.  You wrote "They will not give me anything stronger than Androgel".  I urge you to use the search at the top right of this forum and put in Androgel.  You will come across story after story of men who actually had their already low testosterone lowered further by Androgel.  It doesn't make sense, but it's very common.  It is by far the most common "side effect" complaint that I get regarding HRT.

The next important point:  there are many inexpensive options (injections, compounding) that will raise your testosterone if done right.  [Patches work well for some guys and sometimes Axiron and Foresta, but imho you should go for delivery methods with highest percentage of success.]  Pellets also work well, but are expensive and not all insurance providers cover it.  So there is no reason that your doctors cannot get your testosterone level up other than ignorance or laziness. 

And I'm not done with important points yet - here's another:  testosterone below about 350 ng/dl is associated with increased risk for MANY nasty conditions:  heart disease, arterial plaque, diabetes, metabolic syndrome, high blood pressure, depression, anxiety, erectile dysfunction - this list could go on and on.

But you get the idea:  having low testosterone actually increases your risk for many dangerous conditions?  Why?  Because it lowers nitric oxide, increase insulin and hammers your neurotransmitter and red blood cells just for starters.  It also withers the inside of your penis - yes, quite literally!

And it's not just long term issues but short term as well.  It is very likely that with testosterone that low you are anemic and that your estrogen is low enough to where you are experiencing net bone loss.  Did your doctor test your estrogen?  I doubt it!  Did your doctor do an RBC (red blood cell count)?  It doesn't sound like it.

So you guys have to do what you think is right, but you must push your doctor, get a new doctor or get a 2nd or 3rd opinion.  Something needs to happen as your doctor is not even monitoring you.  I don't know your medical history, so maybe your doctor has some obscure reason for not wanting to raise your testosterone, but this is generally only an issue for men with existing prostate cancer.  So you need to get on this asap and figure out what is going on.

I'm going to have to stop here - I have much more to write - but here is another MAJOR point:  low testosterone is brutally hard on the male brain.  Right now your testosterone is not that much greater than your wife's.  Your brain needs the opposite.  Read the recent thread that starry posted:  researchers just found out that exercise literally rebuild the brain by raising cerebral testosterone levels! 

When your testosterone gets low enough, you are extremely vulnerable to anxiety, depression, mental fog.  As I pointed out earlier, low testosterone - not high - have been shown in the research to be the ones most likely to fight.  Why?  Cuzz they feel like ^#*$!

Again, I'm not a doc, so I can't really advise you on medication, but get informed and don't let a doctor destroy your life, your brain/career/relationships simply because he/she is too ignorant or lazy to read the latest research.  Also, I will be more than happy to send you my testosterone book for free - just PM me if that is of interest.

Please ask more questions and make comments, but I've got to run - family stuff...

Hang in there and get your life back! 
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2012, 08:59:41 pm »

anonymous11

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2012, 10:07:01 am »
I am looking at his blood work right now and the RBC is 5.47. Don't know where the estrogen levels are. Do you know how it's abbreviated? Also, what do you think about the RBC?

Also, his doctor did want to raise the T level. His goal was over 700. The last visit they let him see the PA and that's when she ordered blood work again and decided that under a 100 wasn't too bad. I cant wait to get a hold of them today. I will embarrass the hell out of that office. I also want him to go back to the first doctor and if he doesn't help, then screw them. We will find another one and then report their lousy practice. Keep you posted.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2012, 01:43:30 pm »
I am looking at his blood work right now and the RBC is 5.47. Don't know where the estrogen levels are. Do you know how it's abbreviated? Also, what do you think about the RBC?

Also, his doctor did want to raise the T level. His goal was over 700. The last visit they let him see the PA and that's when she ordered blood work again and decided that under a 100 wasn't too bad. I cant wait to get a hold of them today. I will embarrass the hell out of that office. I also want him to go back to the first doctor and if he doesn't help, then screw them. We will find another one and then report their lousy practice. Keep you posted.

Look at the range on the RBC.  Don't remember off the top of my head.

He probably did not pull estradiol.  Btw, I was mostly making a point with the estradiol.  If the doc really does push your husband up near 700, his estradiol will ramp up with it.  However, if for some reason, your husband's T stays low, almost for sure his E2 will be low. 

Read this if you haven't as to why this is a concern over time:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Do_Men_Need_Estrogen.aspx
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2012, 01:43:30 pm »

anonymous11

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2012, 03:05:56 pm »
Hello everyone. This is husband here. I have some hopeful news. I just got out of an appointment from a 2nd opinion. I am getting 200mg testosterone injections prescription on a weekly basis. I will self inject. I hope this helps me out. This is only a one month prescription. I will follow up with blood work and an appointment at the end of the month. The 100 pound weight in my head feels like 200 pounds now. I am forgetting things that I am doing. I have been working out daily by running and weight training. I work out in the mornngs around 530 am for an hour. I been eating right. I take ginkgo bilobo for memory, vitamin B and D, melatonin at night, cocoa, fish oil and I stopped taking Crestor. I need to stay on Zoloft until my testosterone gets back up. I cannot stop that medicine until I feel better. I am doing everything I can. Any thoughts on what I said?

anonymous11

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2012, 04:56:00 pm »
Everyone, this is me again. I just injected my 1st dose of testosterone cypionate 200mg. Only $10 with insurance for the month...Way better price than androgel....I am praying that I feel some changes in the next couple days. Does anyone have any advice on the testosterone cypionate? Should I ask for Nolvadex next month to be safe to block estrogen buildup? I do not have a clue how this stuff will affect me but with 72 score of testosterone at 33 years old, I am ready to try anything.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2012, 07:43:02 pm »
Hello everyone. This is husband here. I have some hopeful news. I just got out of an appointment from a 2nd opinion. I am getting 200mg testosterone injections prescription on a weekly basis. I will self inject. I hope this helps me out. This is only a one month prescription. I will follow up with blood work and an appointment at the end of the month. The 100 pound weight in my head feels like 200 pounds now. I am forgetting things that I am doing. I have been working out daily by running and weight training. I work out in the mornngs around 530 am for an hour. I been eating right. I take ginkgo bilobo for memory, vitamin B and D, melatonin at night, cocoa, fish oil and I stopped taking Crestor. I need to stay on Zoloft until my testosterone gets back up. I cannot stop that medicine until I feel better. I am doing everything I can. Any thoughts on what I said?

That's great about the weekly injections.  I feel certain that this will make a big difference for you.    Most guys notice mental and libido improvements pretty quickly, but there are no guarantees as to timing of course.  You should notice nice, steady improvmenet over the months. 

Now I do have to say that occasionally men will not feel that much difference.  This is usually because of high estradiol or some other health issue.  However, in your case, your testosterone was so low that I feel certain this is going to be a nice change for you.

And congrats on the lifestyle improvements!  You're definitely on the right track here and, again, I think you're going to see big improvements as the months roll on.  Usually men feel so good that they never want to go back to "the old ways". 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 07:45:02 pm by PeakT »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2012, 07:49:43 pm »
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:42:29 am by PeakT »

Quincy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2012, 07:43:25 am »
Everyone, this is me again. I just injected my 1st dose of testosterone cypionate 200mg.

I do not have a clue how this stuff will affect me but with 72 score of testosterone at 33 years old, I am ready to try anything.

Do you happen to remember what your T score was before using Androgel and how long ago was that?
56yo, Pre  T level 239
Previous dosage 180mg T.cypionate weekly BW @ 1056 on 7th day of cycle
Previous dosage 100mg T.cypionate weekly BW @   414 on 7th day of cycle

Current dosage  140mg T.cypionate weekly

anonymous11

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2012, 10:07:59 am »
Quincy:

His score was 272 last April. Then he started using Androgel and it went up to 700 a few months after. Later that year, he started feeling depressed and all the low t symptoms started happening. So I am sure the Androgel lowered his score to 72 this year.

Peak:

This morning my husband said he felt like a new man. We will keep everyone posted. I will ask him to retest soon and get the estradiol level. I am curious to know because of his new diet and working out and of course the treatment.

Quincy

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2012, 11:40:01 am »
Quincy:

His score was 272 last April. Then he started using Androgel and it went up to 700 a few months after. Later that year, he started feeling depressed and all the low t symptoms started happening. So I am sure the Androgel lowered his score to 72 this year

That's strange... that he was actually absorbing it in the beginning and then it quit working. 700 is a nice upper range number. First I've heard of Androgel working and working well then stopping.

In any event, 200mg of TC per week is a pretty large dose from what I've read. Will be interesting to see where his levels go being on that regime. Personally I would prefer going that route and adjusting the dosage downward later if his readings are too high.

If he noticed a big improvement overnight, he's likely to see a lot more improvements in the weeks and months to come!

Keep us posted!
56yo, Pre  T level 239

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2012, 11:42:04 am »
Then he started using Androgel and it went up to 700 a few months after. Later that year, he started feeling depressed and all the low t symptoms started happening. So I am sure the Androgel lowered his score to 72 this year.

Now that is weird story.  Did you have any reads between the 700 and the 72?  And was the 272 read after the 72?

And congrats on him feeling better!

anonymous11

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2012, 01:41:54 pm »
April 2011  Testosterone -272 Started using Androgel

August 2011- T-700

August 2012- T-72

September 2012- starting new treatment, He will retest at the end of October.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2012, 01:50:57 pm »
Well, that is unusual to say the least.  I don't want to be tedious, but I'm going somewhere with this.  Did your husband ever feel pretty good during the time frame when he was 700, i.e. do you feel like the testosterone helped with his low T symptoms at least for awhile?

Quincy

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2012, 03:14:37 pm »
I do not have a clue how this stuff will affect me but with 72 score of testosterone at 33 years old, I am ready to try anything.

I feel the same way and keep looking for answers to what to expect. I ran across this study today that gives estimated timelines for feeling affects from the TRT. It is a complicated subject, but this is the first study I've come across that tries to answer what to expect. Check it out.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3188848/
56yo, Pre  T level 239

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2012, 03:14:37 pm »