I am researching growth hormone release which has several benefits:
1. Encourages Lipolysis ( breakdown of body fat for energy ) . Of particular interest if you have a spare tyre helping keep your Estradiol levels high.
2. Anti Aging . Growth Hormone is what helps regenerate your body. Look and feel better.
3. There are studies which correlate GH secretion with Testerone production.
Ive come across a lot of proponents of Fasted Cardio. Here is an excerpt from the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism Vol. 76, No. 6 1993. Section " Acute Effects of High Fat and High Glucose Meals on the Growth Hormone Response to Exercise, "
"The data suggest that exercise-induced GH release can be profoundly modulated by a single meal taken before exercise. In our study, a high-fat drink attenuated postexercise peak GH levels and AUC by about 50%. It is worth noting that a typical fast-food meal would likely contain similar calories as fat as our high-fat protocol [e.g. a Big Mac hamburger and regular french fries contains 446 kcal as fat alone (15)]. A smaller, insignificant decrease in the GH response was seen after the ingestion of a high-glucose meal. The increase in metabolic rate and cellular redox state, as judged by the increases in vo, and the lactate to pyruvate ratio, were virtually the same after placebo, high-glucose, and high-fat meals. Thus, the reduced GH response to exercise must have resulted from a direct effect of the ingested substrate (i.e. fat) on the hypothalamic pituitary axis or by indirect effects mediated by the hormonal response to the meal itself. "
1. Placebo was probably something inert with no calorific value. It wasnt stated what it was. It also represents the fasted state
2. Glucose could be sugary drink , higher glycemic carbs ( Bananna for example a staple of the fitness industry ), Pre workout shake ( if you listen to the bodybuilding " industry dogma " and become a " consumer " ..
3. Fats are fats , good or bad.
The digestion time of these items i didnt establish but save to say i reckon fasted is not having ate in at least the last three hours. This point I am not sure of however.
1. Fasted has the highest GH spike.
2. Carbs , something we are thought to eat before going to the gym .. severely blunt the response to excercise.
3. Fats are not so bad.
4. Proteins are not addressed ( though I have seen elsewhere they dont have an impact especially BCAA )
5. That the best response comes after 20 minutes of cardio.
We know already :
1. That Cortisol rises with excercise duration ( which is opposite T and bad for T ) so the 20 minutes is also important.
2. People who spend hours on the treadmill or training ( e.g endurance athletes ) or in the Gym are working against their objectives if they are a. Fat Loss b. Lean Muscle gain ( Cortisol is catabolic ). In bodybuilding this is generally referred to as over training.
1. Fasted Cardio ( ie no calories but say a black coffee or Green Tea which encourage lyposis ) is best for GH response.
2. Shorter excercise duration is better. 20 minutes ideal.
3. If i have to eat , best to grab an avocado before excercise. Fat intake overall encourages lyposis.
So i have my gym membership and my excercise bike. If I do 15 - 20 minutes in the morning and one or two more shorter " Sprints " between meals ( ideaally before ) once i break the fast i should over the next month look and sleep better, encourage lyposis ( fat burning ) and increase T.