Quantcast

Author Topic: Mild prolactin elevation? Looking for some help with my labs.  (Read 4250 times)

jensen21

• View Profile
First - thanks for taking the time to read this and help a brother out.

27 yo male. I've had symptoms of fatigue/lack of energy/drive for several years now. Cognitive problems as well, along with a poor attention span. I am not depressed (as most physicians are quick to assume) but rather, I believe that I have issues related to my hormones. My erections are weak. I'm missing out on the prime of my life.

Bioavailable Testosterone: 277 (49 - 391)
Total Testosterone: 374 (219 - 904)
 LH: 5 (2-9 IU/L)
 FSH: 2 (2-12 IU/L)
 DHEA-S: 15.4 (4.34 - 12.2 umol/L)
Prolactin: 21 (<18 ug/L)
TSH, T4, T3 were all normal.

These were done in the morning.

I've been referred for a pituitary MRI and also to an endocrinologist. The endo wants a re-test of the prolactin since it is only "mildly elevated" (bullshit IMO..in the literature, upper limit should be 10 for guys).

Those T levels look lower than where they should be. I'm hoping for a dostinex trial and want to see how it affects my symptoms, along with my prolactin and T levels.

I'm worried that the endo will do nothing and tell me my symptoms are "all in my head".

If I can't get my hands on caber, I might opt for pyridoxine 100mg/day to alleviate the symptoms i'm experiencing.

thoughts?

thanks again.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 08:42:55 pm by jensen21 »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Mild prolactin elevation? Looking for some help with my labs.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 08:55:04 pm »
Welcome to the board.

A few comments/questions:

--I hate to say it, but I agree with your doc on the prolactin.  Yes, it is a little high and I agree with you that it can affect you.  The thing is this:  caber, etc. are pretty harsh phamaceuticals and full of sides.  Personally, I think it's better to confirm. 

--You could try taking macuna pruriens as it will lower prolactin a little and has helped a couple of guys on here.  I do want to mention, though, that a couple of guys got a heart palpitation from it, so it may not be worth the risk.  But I would not take anything until you retest.  Get a true, unassisted read imo.

--Did you ever take Propecia (finasteride)?

--That low testosterone imo is probably your core problem.  Yes, your prolactin is a little high, but it is not so high that I think it would drive your T down into the 300's.  PM me and I'll send you my book for free (via email):  it documents what happens at various levels of T - right around where yours is.  It increases the risk for depression, insulin resistance, hardening of the arteries, diabetes, osteoporosis, anemia, etc.

--fyi:  Your testosterone is only a little above mine and I had very significant low T symptoms.
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 08:55:04 pm »

jensen21

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 09:08:55 pm »
Thanks man. You're right, I should get it double checked. I'm just frustrated at the time I've lost and the lack of physician awareness around what constitutes "normal" hormone levels.

I never took finasteride. I was afraid of the side effects given what I'm already experiencing. I have hair loss (MPB) and extremely oily hair...to the point where I have to wash it every morning.

I'll PM you and take a look at the book.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 09:13:44 pm »
Thanks man. You're right, I should get it double checked. I'm just frustrated at the time I've lost and the lack of physician awareness around what constitutes "normal" hormone levels.

Been there...
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 09:13:44 pm »

Sighalot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 08:25:47 pm »
Normal is a word that should NEVER be used for tests...especially not thyroidtests that have a direct link to how we feel and range's that are less then ok, find out what the actual number is with range

donkeykong1234

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 09:12:18 am »
First - thanks for taking the time to read this and help a brother out.

27 yo male. I've had symptoms of fatigue/lack of energy/drive for several years now. Cognitive problems as well, along with a poor attention span. I am not depressed (as most physicians are quick to assume) but rather, I believe that I have issues related to my hormones. My erections are weak. I'm missing out on the prime of my life.

Bioavailable Testosterone: 277 (49 - 391)
Total Testosterone: 374 (219 - 904)
 LH: 5 (2-9 IU/L)
 FSH: 2 (2-12 IU/L)
 DHEA-S: 15.4 (4.34 - 12.2 umol/L)
Prolactin: 21 (<18 ug/L)

These were done in the morning.

I've been referred for a pituitary MRI and also to an endocrinologist. The endo wants a re-test of the prolactin since it is only "mildly elevated" (bullshit IMO..in the literature, upper limit should be 10 for guys).

Those T levels look lower than where they should be. I'm hoping for a dostinex trial and want to see how it affects my symptoms, along with my prolactin and T levels.

I'm worried that the endo will do nothing and tell me my symptoms are "all in my head".

If I can't get my hands on caber, I might opt for pyridoxine 100mg/day to alleviate the symptoms i'm experiencing.

thoughts?

thanks again.

Hey man don't let anyone ever tell you its all in your head or your depressed. Especially when you have the bloodwork to prove otherwise. I think PeakT is right when he says your main problem is probably your low t levels. When i had Prolactin over the 100 range i was still able to have sex with my gf. I could still get my dick hard and cum. It was only when my prolactin got so freaking high in the 160 range that it was impossible to do anything with my dick. It was like a wet noddle.

So i don't know how much the cabergoline will help you. I doubt too much. You should first check for varicoceles, vitamin d. Are you overweight by any chance? Stomach issues.

But yeah man i feel you. I'm just a little older than you are and hav been dealing with this crap for about 10 months now. I can definetly say i have missed out of my life in that time. Now i'm having fertility issues. Having to freeze sperm. Having gyno issues. Low libido and low energy. Its not something we should have or deal with. Only one life to life so you gotta make the most of it. Like most docs will tell you your levels of testosterone are normal like mine did but its the quality of life that matters.  Its like surving a plane crash but losing your arms and legs and then people telling you you should be happy just to be alive.  So we need to live life to our full potential.

But yeah man get on some Clomid or something asap. Your depression is linked to your low t.  Also did you check your estridol?

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 09:12:18 am »