Quantcast

Author Topic: Glycemic Index from Label?  (Read 8125 times)

Blade78

• View Profile
Glycemic Index from Label?
« on: October 11, 2012, 07:48:47 am »

To stay out of the diabetes zone as you age, exercise.  Keep moving.  Keep active.  Read through this link on how to keep your insulin and insulin sensitivity in check:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Fasting_Insulin_Levels

One last thing.  You are going to hear a 1,000 times from different folks that the way to keep away from diabetes is to avoid carbs.  This simply is not true.  The key is to avoid high glycemic carbs.

The real truth is that you can eat a TON of carbs as long as they are lower glycemic and the book below by Neil Bernard gives the studies that show just that.  He has a great program where he puts men on a Low Fat Diet but also with low glycemic whole natural foods.  And he proves it by reversing his patients' diabetes and outperforming the standard drugs that are given to diabetics.  (His patients effortlessly lost an average of one pound per week also.)

http://www.amazon.com/Neal-Barnards-Program-Reversing-Diabetes/dp/1594868107/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348692007&sr=8-1&keywords=neil+bernard

Ive wondered about this, high GI carbs,
is there a way to know how high a GI a carb is from the label?

I drink my POM juice which has about 25grams of sugar/8oz...I take it 2x a day, 4ox with omega 3s,  I try to do some walking after I take it, to help use the sugars, 

Please forgive me for asking this - normally I would do more research on my own here as I'm sure its somewhere on the site, but my next few days are extremely busy and I know by the time I get an opportunity to sit down at night to look my concentration will be shot.

I'm having some new hormone tests done in the coming days- to test both my T levels AND estrogen levels.  I have reason to believe I have elevated estrogen - beyond the normal "increase" a male would see from being obese.  I have a moderate/severe case of gynecomastia (enlarged male breast tissue), which I have always had since being a teenager when I was 'thin.'  Coupling this with low T levels may ultimately be a fairly simple explanation for my issues, and 2 of the 3 red flags for elevated estrogen seem to be gynecomastia and ED.

My question is this: I want to be fairly forceful (but respectful) in my request for tests.  The last time my primary care seemed to JUST test that total T number- something I've learned is not always the most helpful.  What hormones, tests, whatever should I request in relation to my new possible theory that would provide me the most insight?  I have trouble keeping all of them straight with E2, estrogen, testosterone, free testosterone, SBGH, etc etc.

Again, I apologize for not just doing this research myself, but I figure folks here know it so easily that I may get an answer easier in the limited time before my appointment simply by asking.  Thanks for the continued help!

Peak has a lot of articles to look at, you find an index here
http://www.peaktestosterone.com/

you want blood tests, well here is the article about what to get
http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Testosterone_Tests

“Don’t you feel good when you go to the gym?’ Not at all. There’s too many people in-shape there. When I go to McDonald’s I feel great. At McDonald’s I’m Matthew McConaughey.” --Jim Gaffigan - Mr. Universe

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Glycemic Index from Label?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 02:42:59 pm »
Quick comments:

--It's really Glycemic Load that you are interested in.

--You can learn some heuristics to help with estimating the GI of a food.

--The best way to actually look up a given food is this great site:

Notice that this has glycemic load right on the front page for broccoli here:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2356/2

They have different serving sizes on the drop down so you can play with that as well.

This is a fantastic site by the way, especially if you are a numbers geek...
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 02:42:59 pm »

bubba29

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 03:03:29 pm »
to keep blood glucose levels low, avoid sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and wheat products.  also avoid any other highly processed sources of carbohydrates.  rice, root veggies, fruits, and other veggies don't seem to cause chronic blood sugar elevation if those other carbs are avoided.

Blade78

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 05:46:24 pm »
to keep blood glucose levels low, avoid sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and wheat products.  also avoid any other highly processed sources of carbohydrates.  rice, root veggies, fruits, and other veggies don't seem to cause chronic blood sugar elevation if those other carbs are avoided.

gluten free bread ok?
“Don’t you feel good when you go to the gym?’ Not at all. There’s too many people in-shape there. When I go to McDonald’s I feel great. At McDonald’s I’m Matthew McConaughey.” --Jim Gaffigan - Mr. Universe

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 05:46:24 pm »

bubba29

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 06:17:00 pm »

gluten free bread ok?

gluten free products tend to be made with other highly processed flours.  the more processed something is, the worse it is for you.  these tend to elevate blood sugars a lot also.  reaplcing gluten containing crap with non gluten containing crap does not typically help people a whole lot.  replace the breads and pastas with fruits and veggies.  they are packed with way more vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants without nearly as many negatives.  avoid "foods" with ingredient labels if you can.

Blade78

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 03:18:40 am »

gluten free bread ok?

gluten free products tend to be made with other highly processed flours.  the more processed something is, the worse it is for you.  these tend to elevate blood sugars a lot also.  reaplcing gluten containing crap with non gluten containing crap does not typically help people a whole lot.  replace the breads and pastas with fruits and veggies.  they are packed with way more vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants without nearly as many negatives.  avoid "foods" with ingredient labels if you can.

Ive been working on that bolded part:
I get my protein from eggwhites and NutriBiotic Vegan Rice Protein Powder Plain  and efas from carlsons unflavored omega3s
otherwise, eat organic fruit. 
I do take navitas powder and a variety of supplements(From this site) as well as a few 100% juices

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 05:30:42 am »
If you have a food that you love but are concerned about its glycemic effects upon yourself, just measure your glucose post-meal every hour for several hours.
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Blade78

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 06:34:56 am »
If you have a food that you love but are concerned about its glycemic effects upon yourself, just measure your glucose post-meal every hour for several hours.
any blood sugar testers you'd recommend?
 I realize most of this is about quantity over qualtiy, I tend to eat a lot of food, I might need to force myself never to be full again
wont that suck

bubba29

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 02:13:10 pm »
any blood sugar testers you'd recommend?
 I realize most of this is about quantity over qualtiy, I tend to eat a lot of food, I might need to force myself never to be full again
wont that suck

do you have body composition concerns?  there is nothing wrong with eating till full as long as you eat quality, real, whole foods.  that is unless you feel need to lose body fat.  btw, most of the nutrients of an egg are in the yolk.  don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Blade78

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 04:17:31 pm »

do you have body composition concerns?  there is nothing wrong with eating till full as long as you eat quality, real, whole foods.  that is unless you feel need to lose body fat.  btw, most of the nutrients of an egg are in the yolk.  don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

I dont have body composition concerns?   

I dont stuff my face often and no, I wont eat yolks. I eat eggwhites for protien, too much A. Acid in yolks for me...nice try on using an overused catch phrase

bubba29

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 06:35:25 pm »

I dont have body composition concerns?   

I dont stuff my face often and no, I wont eat yolks. I eat eggwhites for protien, too much A. Acid in yolks for me...nice try on using an overused catch phrase

AA helps with muscle growth and increases blood flow.  both things guys on here should be concerned with.  AA is also the most abundant fat found in the brain (everyone needs to keep a healthy brain).  being deficient could lead to mental illness.  it may also improve insulin sensitivity which prevents diabetes.  if people avoid vegetable oils, i suspect the possible inflammatory effect of this omega 6 would be drastically reduced.  again, don't throw the baby out with the bath water.  seems like it could be a very beneficial nutrient for you.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 12:57:56 am »
\again, don't throw the baby out with the bath water.  seems like it could be a very beneficial nutrient for you.

I respectfully disagree.  Every guys #1 concern on this board should be inflammation and many studies have linked AA to inflammation.  I think this is very bad advice, but I know most men won't listen to me.  But just throwing it out there for the few that might...

In fact, let me mention that David Chilton is an M.D. clinician who regularly reveses many autoimmune disorders by avoiding AA and doing other anti-inflammatory strategies.  This is documented in his classic book Inflammation Nation:

http://www.amazon.com/Inflammation-Nation-Clinically-Nations-Epidemic/dp/0743269659

Now this book isn't perfect and I don't agree with everything in it, but you'll get the idea:  inflammation is our number one problem and you'll understand the primary ways to fight it and why our modern diet leads us down an inflammatory path of heart disease, cancer and autoimmune disease...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 01:03:18 am by PeakT »

bubba29

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 01:59:23 am »
\again, don't throw the baby out with the bath water.  seems like it could be a very beneficial nutrient for you.

I respectfully disagree.  Every guys #1 concern on this board should be inflammation and many studies have linked AA to inflammation.  I think this is very bad advice, but I know most men won't listen to me.  But just throwing it out there for the few that might...

In fact, let me mention that David Chilton is an M.D. clinician who regularly reveses many autoimmune disorders by avoiding AA and doing other anti-inflammatory strategies.  This is documented in his classic book Inflammation Nation:

http://www.amazon.com/Inflammation-Nation-Clinically-Nations-Epidemic/dp/0743269659

Now this book isn't perfect and I don't agree with everything in it, but you'll get the idea:  inflammation is our number one problem and you'll understand the primary ways to fight it and why our modern diet leads us down an inflammatory path of heart disease, cancer and autoimmune disease...

i hope your prediction is correct because i think your advice is very bad. 

btw, i have yet to read the perfect non fiction book.  but there is usually a lot to be learned from smart people.  i have read many books about inflammation and autoimmune disease.  i understand the pathways.  the benefits of yolks outweigh the negatives by a lot.  egg yolks are a much more natural and bioavailable source of nutrients than the supplements people recommend to replace things that egg yolks already have.

according to recent research, AA could actually be anti inflammatory:

Another major impact came from the discovery that a class of arachidonic acid metabolites facilitates resolution of inflammation. These eicosanoids, named lipoxins, resolvins, and protectins, are generated from lipoxygenases or aspirin-acetylated COX and serve as stop signals in the evolution of acute inflammation responses. They act by stimulating the uptake of apoptotic polymorphonuclear leukocytes at sites of inflammation to promote a programmed return to homeostasis (6–8). Analogs and precursors (ω-3-fatty acids) of lipoxins have been shown to relieve inflammatory-related pathology responses, especially in asthma and various airway injures

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3032587/

Blade78

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 02:18:44 pm »

AA helps with muscle growth and increases blood flow.  both things guys on here should be concerned with.  AA is also the most abundant fat found in the brain (everyone needs to keep a healthy brain).  being deficient could lead to mental illness.  it may also improve insulin sensitivity which prevents diabetes.  if people avoid vegetable oils, i suspect the possible inflammatory effect of this omega 6 would be drastically reduced.  again, don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

seems like it could be a very beneficial nutrient for you.

what's the based on exactly?
I get more than enough fat from what little saturated fat I get from popcorn/cacao powder/w-3s...   I dont use oils at all.
so why do you think I need arachidonic  Acid?  oh do you have a full  study or did you just read the abstract?
I recommend reading the full study and not just abstracts, very important as it would help to not giving bad advice

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 02:18:44 pm »