Quantcast

Author Topic: New to the board.  (Read 7672 times)

Ouchnie

• View Profile
New to the board.
« on: October 15, 2012, 01:23:00 am »
  First off,  I'd like to say that it is nice to have found a forum where I can read similar stories to my own and read positive feedback.

I'm twenty-six and I have been battling with ED,  depression and low self-esteem since around the age of 19.  In all the times I have been to various doctors and have noted the issues I've experienced,  it was not until a few months ago that I was ever checked for Low-T.  Around December,  I was experiencing especially low performance at work,  having difficulty staying on task and remembering verbal communications which lead to me ultimately having what was labled as a panic attack and simply walking out the door at work and heading home.  On the way home,  of course,  I had a bit of a mental breakdown as I was very confused as to what had just happened... had I quit my job? What do I do now? etc... So I went to the doctor's office and was lead to believe that work related stress was the cause. I then,  officially quit the job I had worked for seven years.  I was fortunate to find another job in less than a week for the same pay,  although I no longer have medical benefits.  I started going downhill fast,  feeling worse by the day until I finally went back to the doctor's office and was checked for Low-T.  My number come in at 162 and I was told that this was low and that it could be contributing to some of the issues I claimed to be having.  I was given a shot that I was told would last for 30 days until my next visit.  The shot seemed to do nothing the first four days,  but days five-through-seven were excellent.  Very little fatigue, aches and pains,  my mind seemed somewhat more able to focus,  etc... I wake up day eight and I feel worse than ever.  I get a bit upset that the glimpse of hope I saw was so quickly shattered and had some of the worst work days of my life over the next week until I called my doctor's office and asked to be seen as quickly as possible.  The doctor told me that the only thing he found wrong with me was Low T and that it was being treated,  the rest of my problems were my attitude and that's something I have to deal with.  I insisted on a different form of treatment and have been applying Androgel 1% (5mg) once per day and originally saw some improvement in certain areas,  but it's been about four months and now I'm not so sure it is helping me at all.  I'm to the point that I feel I'm unable to perform well enough to hold a job,  my marriage is suffering, there's very little joy in my life,  etc... 

After reading some of the posts on here,  my wife and I have decided to seek a new doctor tomorrow morning and hopefully get started investigating new options quickly.  I'm sorry to come here and post such a large story and not truly ask any questions,  but it feels truly nice to feel comfortable putting it out there and I'm greatful for the information provided here by various persons. Sorry again for the long read!

[edited by moderator]
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 06:37:25 am by PeakT »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: New to the board.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 06:44:52 am »
If you poke around, you'll see that a lot of guys with low testosterone have said that they lost jobs and relationships from it.  It is truly miserable, so you've got a lot of sympathy out there.

Well, a few comments:

--I'm not sure what would cause the extreme reaction after four days.  I do know that some men have complained of "brain remapping" symptoms for lack of a better term.  Testosterone, especially when you go from low to high almost instantly, really alter the brain and some guys really feel it.  In this case it subsides in a few days from what I've seen.  But I don't know if that is what you are talking about, so discuss with your doctor.

--Four weeks is very likely too long.  Mostof the injectibles from savvy doctors are now given weekly with two weeks being the absolute max.  After about  10 days, you will have almost none of the medication remaining and so you're right back where you were - maybe even a little worse.  Men who have the weekly injections generally have a very positive experience, so discuss this with your physician if you feel it is appropriate.

--It is very important that you get testosterone very soon after trying Androgel.  It is VERY common on this board for men to absorb nothing and actually end up with lower testosterone.  Just type in Androgel into the search on the forum and you'll see many examples of this.  Again, imo you should get tested asap to see if this is the case for you personally.

Hope that helps.  Gotta run...
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 06:44:52 am »

Ouchnie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 02:33:10 am »
 Saw the new dr today and,  of course,  he wants to drown me in antidepressants.  I think the standard cure-all for doctor's these days is antidepressants.  The wife and I insisted that he draw blood and check my testosterone levels.  He agreed to draw blood and check my testosterone level,  though he does not believe testosterone is my problem.  He said that it doesn't sound to him that testosterone is my problem,  because I claim to have restless nights,  aches and pains,  lack of mental focus,  low memory performance, slightly high blood pressure, lack of sexual interest/ed, lack of enjoyment in activities that used to bring me joy and/or relaxation.  He said these are much more commonly found in depressed men than in men with Low T. 

Evidently he read a different book about Low-T than all I have personally read on the subject,  but we'll see how things work out. 

RC15

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 04:59:06 am »
Dude, As you probably already know you cannot accept the SSRI BS. Im 21, refused to take the Anti's and just recently started TRT and feeling a ton better already.

If you have an HMO insurance like i do your going to have to seek outside help man, i can almost say this with 100% certainty. Look up capitation payment system and you will be able to figure why they won't treat you or treat you adequately. Don't let them continue to give you the run around. In an HMO system no matter what doctor you see its almost impossible for guys as young as us to get TRT, they all have their "hands tied behind their backs" when it comes to testosterone replacement.

I am speculating you have HMO insurance but could be off point. If you don't have HMO disregard my post.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 04:59:06 am »

Ouchnie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 05:06:55 am »
 I actually have no insurence as the job I took to supposedly lessen the stress in my life doesn't offer benefits.  I am at the point that my job,  marriage and quality of life are worth more to me than the cost of medical visits.  I will pay whatever dollar amount is needed to improve my quality of life.  I hope that my new testosterone numbers will encourage him to find something that works better for me than the Androgel I've been applying.  If a medical doctor isn't going to help me,  I'm not sure where to turn. 

RC15

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 05:28:13 am »
Have you explored the mens clinic/anti aging clinic route?

This is your next step if you don't receive the treatment you need from a traditional health care provider.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 06:18:43 am »
Saw the new dr today and,  of course,  he wants to drown me in antidepressants.  I think the standard cure-all for doctor's these days is antidepressants.  The wife and I insisted that he draw blood and check my testosterone levels.  He agreed to draw blood and check my testosterone level,  though he does not believe testosterone is my problem.  He said that it doesn't sound to him that testosterone is my problem,  because I claim to have restless nights,  aches and pains,  lack of mental focus,  low memory performance, slightly high blood pressure, lack of sexual interest/ed, lack of enjoyment in activities that used to bring me joy and/or relaxation.  He said these are much more commonly found in depressed men than in men with Low T. 

Evidently he read a different book about Low-T than all I have personally read on the subject,  but we'll see how things work out.

Yes, low testosterone is linked to poor mood and depression.  PM me and I'll send you my book which documents some of the numbers and studies regarding this.

It is tragic that your doctor thinks this way as testosterone profoundly affects the male brain.  Unfortunatly, your doctor is just not well-read on the subject.

If you can show him some of the studies in the book, you may open his eyes.  He will probably not admit it in front of you but will probably sneak back to PubMed in his office!
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Ouchnie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 04:03:15 am »
 I received my new testosterone test results and they are: 

Albumin 4.4 g/dL (3.5-5.0)
  Free Testosterone 43.7 pg/mL (47-244)
  Sex Hormone Binding Globulin 16.2 nmol/L (13-71)
  Testosterone, Total 166 ng/dL (300-1080)
  Testosterone, Percent Free 2.6 (1.6-2.9)

" Your results show no change.  You will require a referral to an endocrinologist."

So... I guess I'm still playing the waiting game,  though I feel I'm moving forward. Will an endocrinologist be helpful?  I'm sure,  but are there any specific questions I should ask,  or comments I should make?

-Thanks for any advice.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 06:02:50 am »
Based on this board, most endocrinologists are behind the times much worse than the GPs here in the U.S.  However, there are some that are great.  It's a real crapshoot, so "eyes wide open"...

Ouchnie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 12:00:45 am »
 I have to go several hours out of town to see the endocrinologist.  I certainly hope he/she is helpful. It isn't even that I feel so horrible at this point,  it's that I'm paying out the nose for Androgel and seeing minimal (if any) improvement.  I'd just as soon have my local MD switch me to a more effective form of treatment,  but he refuses to do anything with me until I've seen the endocrinologist as he says my numbers are alarmingly low.

...no specific questions I should ask or advice on how to go about getting the most bang for my buck with the endocrinologist?

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 01:25:30 pm »

...no specific questions I should ask or advice on how to go about getting the most bang for my buck with the endocrinologist?

I've got to be honest with you:  I don't think any amount of questioning or persuasion of an endo will change him from his position.  This is an endo's area of specialty, so he/she will absolutely think that he/she you are an ignorant huckster who has read something weird on the internet that is not based on science. 

This is why it is much more important to do the research to find which docs in your area are up on the latest studies and treatments. 

Here are some ideas for how to do that:

https://www.peaktestosterone.com/forum/index.php?topic=246.0
https://www.peaktestosterone.com/forum/index.php?topic=570.0

I put this on the other thread, but notice how this young man finally find a good physician after a lot of leg work:

https://www.peaktestosterone.com/forum/index.php?topic=540.30

So it can be worth it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 01:38:38 pm by PeakT »

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 01:25:30 pm »