Quantcast

Author Topic: What's everyone currently doing to dispose of needles/syringes?  (Read 6844 times)

jth0524

• View Profile
I'd like to know what everyone is currently doing to dispose of used needles/syringes. What's the easiest and best way to do this?

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: What's everyone currently doing to dispose of needles/syringes?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 12:56:28 pm »
I'd like to know what everyone is currently doing to dispose of used needles/syringes. What's the easiest and best way to do this?

I use insulin syringes and they all have a cap, which I just put back on and throw away.  As long as that cap is on, I don't see any risk to anyone.  Am I missing something?
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 12:56:28 pm »

Cataceous

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 01:59:01 pm »
I use insulin syringes and they all have a cap, which I just put back on and throw away.  As long as that cap is on, I don't see any risk to anyone.  Am I missing something?

This is what I do too, though formal recommendations seem to advise to collect syringes in a jar, which when filled is to be sealed and thrown out.
I am not a medical doctor; any suggestions are meant to be discussed with your doctor.
Protocol: 3.2 mg TE subQ qd, 2.4 mg TP subQ qd, 20 mcg GnRH subQ 5.25x/d, 6.25 mg DHEA bid, 12.5 mg enclomiphene qod
Approximate levels (peak): TT: 700 ng/dL, E2: 30 pg/mL, DHEA-S: 300 ug/dL, SHBG: 30 nMol/L

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 04:49:14 pm »

This is what I do too, though formal recommendations seem to advise to collect syringes in a jar, which when filled is to be sealed and thrown out.

Got it.
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 04:49:14 pm »

Osprey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 06:51:24 pm »
The laws vary from state to state. Check with your local health dept.

In my state it is illegal to throw sharps in the trash (how would they check?) I use a sharps container and when the container is full I take it to a sharps collection site. Most communities have one here.

Osprey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 07:13:22 pm »
BD has a webpage with sharps disposal laws by state, hasn't been updated since 2011 though:

http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page?cat=7002&id=10284

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 08:25:01 pm »

In my state it is illegal to throw sharps in the trash (how would they check?) I use a sharps container and when the container is full I take it to a sharps collection site. Most communities have one here.

It's free I take it?

Osprey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 09:15:49 pm »

It's free I take it?

Yes, but I have to buy the sharps container. I get them for about $3 from a medical supply website.

Sighalot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 09:21:38 pm »
In the trash as specified by a diabetes nurse, i put the needles in an old plastic bottle and when its full i screw on the lid and throw it away.s

Boxcar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 11:06:23 pm »

My state includes this in its guidlines: "DO NOT Clip, bend or recap needles."
http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/docs/dph/environmental/sanitation/medical-waste/needles-syringes-disposal.pdf

I have no idea why this would matter in disposal -- seems like you are being safer if you recap them.

BD actually has syringes designed with a special safety cap.  You can snap it on with a single hand and it permanently caps the used needle (it can't be removed).

It looks like I am not allowed to put my sharps container in the trash, but all the needle disposal sites in my town are methadone clinics... think I'll find another town to turn in my sharps container.
178 lbs 5'8''

Current Treatment: 50 mg testosterone cypionate IM, twice a week
Low T Symptoms: Chronic pelvic pain, and other neuropathic pain.  Mild anxiety, low energy and low motivation
Meds: Amitriptyline (for pain, not depression), Clonidine (for sleep, not blood pressure)

Cronos

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 12:05:50 am »
It's illegal to throw away sharps in Texas also I believe. I used to put the caps on them and then put them in a sealed sharps container and put them in the trash. Illegal but to expensive otherwise
ďALL IíM TRYING TO DO IS WIPE OUT HEART DISEASE, DIABETES, HYPERTENSION, AND OBESITY- NATHAN PRITIKIN

Protocol
Test Cyp 70mg sun/wed total 140mg/week IM
Hcg 500iu mon/Thursday
Anastrozole .125mg mon/thur

Hydranted

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 02:38:46 am »
It varies by state.  Luckily my state keeps it easy for us.  Sharps are to be put into a sealable plastic container, taped to ensure that they won't spill out during transport, labeled as SHARPS, and tossed out with the regular trash.

I just use old protein containers or a jug of detergent.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 02:38:46 am »