Quantcast

Author Topic: Macronutrient Ratios for a Low Fat Diet  (Read 5818 times)

C-Los

• View Profile
Macronutrient Ratios for a Low Fat Diet
« on: October 16, 2012, 12:16:56 am »
Hey Peak T, you have said in the past that you follow an Ornish style diet and advocate low fat.

I am in the process of cleaning out animal protein and other stuff from my diet too and I am interested in what sort of maronutrient ratios you consume?

How much fat do you concider 'low fat'? 50 g?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 01:36:15 am by PeakT »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Macronutrient Ratios
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 01:35:56 am »
Essentially I eat about 6 meals a day with - and this is rough - about 25-30 grams of protein, about 60  grams of carb and probably 4 grams of fat.  You read my mind cuzz I'm actually doing one of my mini-books on the subject. 

Now I don't need more calories than that at my age.  If you're younger, you would have to adjust that a little and there a variety of ways to do that.  Or if you are an endurance athlete, that's a whole 'nuther subject.

I noticed that there are some things that can trip up some men when they start low fat:

--How do I get enough protein if I'm strength training/body building?
--Macro ratios
--How can I keep from "overcarbing" and/or "overfructosing"?

Now the above is anathema to probably 95% of the guys out there and that is because if you say the word "carb" now, men freak out due to the (in my opinion) propoganda of the Paleo/Low Carb media.  The key is that you have to have almost all your carbs low glycemic load. 

Anyway, I'll never go back off of Low Fat.  I'm a completely different person when I eat Low Fat, so I love it myself...

THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

Re: Macronutrient Ratios
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 01:35:56 am »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Macronutrient Ratios for a Low Fat Diet
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 01:40:02 am »
The Low Fat question (50 grams?) really depends on some things.  Let me ask you a question or two:

--How old are you?
--Any erectile dysfunction?
--What is your blood pressure?
--Do you have any signs of insulin resistance? 
--Do you have any symptoms of heart disease?
--What were your last lipid readings?
--Do you have low testosterone?

Hope you don't mind asking me all these questions, but, believe it or not, answering your question somewhat depends on your situation?
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

C-Los

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 01:58:07 am »
Ok, so about 25 grams of fat/ day? And your about 2200 or 2300 cals. Of course, I realize macros are are dependent on your health goals, exercise level etc......was just interested to know what you considered low fat and if my diet was low fat by that definition.

I am working on my diet at the moment and haven't settled on an exact marco ratio yet. Im playing around with 130-160 g protein, 260 carbs and 50-60 g fat right now. Thats with egg whites, undenatured whey for protein, Im cutting out animal protiens. Have been considering giving hemp protein a go, read your article on it......was interesting but as you say, has a moderate amount of fat in it which obviously doesn't work out so well if you are going for low fat. Link is here if anyone is interested in reading......

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Hemp_Protein_Bodybuilding

Im 26, some mild ED, quite sure my blood pressure is fine (while since tested but im quite fit so assume its all good), no insulin resistance that I know of, no symptoms of heart disease. I havnt had lipid readings done before. My testosterone is 600.

To be honest, Im quite new to all of this so never even knew I could get tested for half of these things, lol

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 01:58:07 am »

C-Los

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 02:02:35 am »
Also, whats your take on eating nuts? In one of your books I recall you talking about walnuts being a bit of a powerhouse superfood. Obviously nuts have high fat content. Interested to know what your approach is to incorporating such foods that are really good for you, but on the flip side do contain a fair amount of fat.

Just a small amount per day I assume? But enough to get their benefits? 

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 04:00:53 am »
I've just got a sec here.  Here a few comments.  Feel free to remind to answer anything I didn't answer:

--Well, as I often do, I didn't really answer your core question.  The classic definition of Low Fat is around 10% of calories as fat.  This is the level where the Ornish studies and Esselstyn's research show stellar arterial results.

--You have to realize one thing.  Consuming the extra protein really isn't an Ornish or Esselstyn diet and has not really been studied.  I can tell you almost for sure that Esselstyn would be opposed:  he insists on normal protein levels through a plant-based diet.  He knows that this will clear out a man's arteries and would not encourage anyone to consume a bunch of extra protein, especially animal, I am pretty sure.  The pros and cons are a big subject.

--I actually consume a little more fat than this.  I do have a small portion of sunflower seeds and/or nuts many days.  It's kind of a long story why I do this, but this does not fit in perfectly with Ornish or Esselstyn.  However, walnuts and almonds are good for the young guys, because they can significantly improve blood flow.  If you're really trying to clear out your arteries, you probably want to skip them though. 

--A "very low fat diet" in the literature is actually 15% or less generally and a low fat diet in the literature is actually around 20-25%.  However, Ornish and Esselstyn kind of redefined what "low fat" is to around 10%.  Confusing??  Sure, but that's the way it is.  Also, there are no studies showing 20% of fat yields good arterial results as far as I know.

--I recommend testing, assuming you can afford it of course.  I would not, for example, assume your blood pressure is good.  Prehypertension is not something you "feel".  You want that below 120/80.  Also, stress can raise blood pressure into prehypertension even in your guys.  I would recommend any man to do a little testing with a home glucose meter to check out his post-meal glucose surges.  You really want to protect those beta cells.  Glycated hemoglobin, fasting insulin, the ratio of triglycerides to HDL - the list could go on and on. 

You need to slowly build up your knowledge as to how your body works.  Are you going to treat it like a Corvette or a Ferrari?  If so, it will run like one.  If you treat it like a 30 year old beater, that's how it will run. 

Without becoming obsessive or weird about it, you want to gradually build some base knowledge.  I mean let's face it:  the lion's share of doctors simply don't have time to help you manage prehypertension.  And about three fourths of them don't even know the research that shows the risks of this and so they will tell you that actually have "good blood pressure".  So get involved and get tested is my two cents or you will end up in their office 10 years later with full blown hypertension and on 2-3 medications that will chip away at your health as the decades roll by. 

Anyway, it's really hard to talk about all of this without a thousand caveats.  If you're exercising two hours per day or lifting super hard, then that is a whole other subject.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 04:07:04 am by PeakT »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 04:09:46 am »
You want to really dig into the E.D.  A 26 year old should not be struggling.  Again, this is where testing is critical just to make sure.  Don't forget about estradiol/prolactin, etc.:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/testosterone_tests

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 04:09:46 am »