Quantcast

Author Topic: Post-HRT Taper -> Back to TRT -> Now Steady on TRT  (Read 30768 times)

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Post-HRT Taper -> Back to TRT
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 04:03:37 am »
Had a rough few days symptoms-wise, so I had some labs pulled last week.  Numbers look good, leaving me a bit perplexed; however, I have noticed that whenever I feel really off, my TSH is elevated (2+) while, when I feel great it hovers between 1.4 and 1.9.  Might be nothing given (what seem to be) healthy thyroid numbers, but I'm going to get the antibody tests pulled just in case given the relatively large range in my TSH readings over the past year (1.4 to 2.82) Labs pulled ~4 weeks after starting TRT (50mg E3.5D + .25mg Adex 1x/week) again:

TT: 1156 ng/dL
FT: 15.7 pg/mL
Estradiol, Sensitive (LabCorp): 15.8

A1C: 5.1

TSH: 2.52
Triiodothyronine,Free,Serum: 3.3 (Range 2.0 to 4.4)
T4,Free (Direct): 1.48 (Range 0.82 to 1.77)

In other news, an anti-aging Doc I'm trying out ran a Brain MRI (w and w/o contrast) on me.  Brain looks fine.  Also just got my genetic testing results back - I'm not seeing anything crazy on them, but I will be reviewing them with the Doc just to be sure.

Will be doing a pulse-ox test for apnea, a 4-point cortisol read, and thyroid antibody tests moving forward.

A number of the "online internet HRT docs" have said that TRT can lower thyroid function.  And 2.54 is in that zone where you may not feel good as you noted.  There is a good chance this is it.
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Balderdasher

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 09:17:03 pm »
Had a rough few days symptoms-wise, so I had some labs pulled last week.  Numbers look good, leaving me a bit perplexed; however, I have noticed that whenever I feel really off, my TSH is elevated (2+) while, when I feel great it hovers between 1.4 and 1.9.  Might be nothing given (what seem to be) healthy thyroid numbers, but I'm going to get the antibody tests pulled just in case given the relatively large range in my TSH readings over the past year (1.4 to 2.82) Labs pulled ~4 weeks after starting TRT (50mg E3.5D + .25mg Adex 1x/week) again:

TT: 1156 ng/dL
FT: 15.7 pg/mL
Estradiol, Sensitive (LabCorp): 15.8

A1C: 5.1

TSH: 2.52
Triiodothyronine,Free,Serum: 3.3 (Range 2.0 to 4.4)
T4,Free (Direct): 1.48 (Range 0.82 to 1.77)

In other news, an anti-aging Doc I'm trying out ran a Brain MRI (w and w/o contrast) on me.  Brain looks fine.  Also just got my genetic testing results back - I'm not seeing anything crazy on them, but I will be reviewing them with the Doc just to be sure.

Will be doing a pulse-ox test for apnea, a 4-point cortisol read, and thyroid antibody tests moving forward.

Hmmm, interesting.  Even with the other ma

A number of the "online internet HRT docs" have said that TRT can lower thyroid function.  And 2.54 is in that zone where you may not feel good as you noted.  There is a good chance this is it.

interesting.  Even with the other markers being (or at least seeming) normal?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:19:40 pm by Balderdasher »
I am not a medical doctor.  All suggestions are meant to be discussed with your doctor.

Protocol: 40mg T Cyp 2x/week + 400u HCG 2x/week.

Original Results - 9-2012:
TT: 387 ng/dl
FT: 11.2 pg/ml

Varicocele repair -> on TRT for 1 year -> tapered off T for 1 year -> back to TRT

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 09:17:03 pm »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2015, 12:14:01 am »

interesting.  Even with the other markers being (or at least seeming) normal?

I would guess the answer is yes, but I don't really know.  We have only had a few guys low prolactin on here.  But it's good for any male imo to test to see if he is insulin resistant.  It simple, cheap and one of the most important things to monitor as far as general health and anti-aging.
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Balderdasher

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 02:03:39 am »
Hey All -

Just got some lab work back re: Thyroid antibodies, and would appreciate if anyone could lend me their opinion in lieu of my own ability to (confidently) interpret these results:

Thyroglobulin, Antibody: <1.0 IU/mL Reference 0.0 - 0.9
Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab <6 IU/mL Reference 0 - 34

Based upon what I'm seeing it looks like I don't have any of the antibodies that might be associated with Hashimoto's, leaving me wondering how/why my TSH (and associated symptoms) could be fluctuating between 1.5 (feeling great) and 2.8 (feeling horrible).

Also had a 4-point cortisol & DHEA test pulled.  Here are the Cortisol results:

AM: 0.53 mcg/dL (Range 0.27-1.18)
Noon: 0.26 mcg/dL (Range 0.10-0.41)
Afternoon: 0.23 mcg/dL (Range 0.05-0.27) - this is often when I feel worst
Evening: 0.06 mcg/dL (Range 0.03-0.14)

All within optimal range according to the printout, which also noted that my DHEA/Cortisol ratio was within optimal range.

Dealing with some pretty heavy brain fog, blurry vision, etc type symptoms that seem to come & go randomly every couple of weeks.  As always, advice is appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 01:35:10 pm by Balderdasher »
I am not a medical doctor.  All suggestions are meant to be discussed with your doctor.

Varicocele repair -> on TRT for 1 year -> tapered off T for 1 year -> back to TRT

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 02:03:39 am »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2015, 06:51:40 am »
Hey All -

Just got some lab work back re: Thyroid antibodies, and would appreciate if anyone could lend me their opinion in lieu of my own ability to (confidently) interpret these results:

Based upon what I'm seeing it looks like I don't have any of the antibodies that might be associated with Hashimoto's, leaving me wondering how/why my TSH (and associated symptoms) could be fluctuating between 1.5 (feeling great) and 2.8 (feeling horrible).

AM: 0.53 mcg/dL
Noon: 0.26 mcg/dL
Afternoon: 0.23 mcg/dL
Evening: 0.06 mcg/dL

All within optimal range according to the printout, which also noted that my DHEA/Cortisol ratio was within optimal range.

Dealing with some pretty heavy brain fog, blurry vision, etc type symptoms that seem to come & go randomly every couple of weeks.  As always, advice is appreciated.

Sounds like you know what is going on (hypothyroid), but ifyou could put the ranges on the cortisol, that would be helpful.

And I don't have any other comments on the antibodies:  I think you just have to go by the lab as far as I know.

Balderdasher

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2015, 01:34:02 pm »
Hey All -

Sounds like you know what is going on (hypothyroid), but ifyou could put the ranges on the cortisol, that would be helpful.

And I don't have any other comments on the antibodies:  I think you just have to go by the lab as far as I know.

Thanks Peak - I've been a little hesitant to acknowledge thyroid levels as being an issue, as the thought of having to deal with another hormone therapy on top of TRT has been a little overwhelming.  Still, the evidence gathered over the years is starting to point in that direction, so I'm going to consult with my Doc today to try and figure out a course of action.

Edited post above to include ranges for cortisol.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2015, 04:43:44 pm »
Hey All -

Thanks Peak - I've been a little hesitant to acknowledge thyroid levels as being an issue, as the thought of having to deal with another hormone therapy on top of TRT has been a little overwhelming.  Still, the evidence gathered over the years is starting to point in that direction, so I'm going to consult with my Doc today to try and figure out a course of action.

Edited post above to include ranges for cortisol.

Cortisol is just as poweful as testosterone/estradiol in causing many of the standard low testosterone symptoms.  I have no doubt that this is why some men's HRT program fails.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 06:14:35 am »
Balderdasher has some great stats showing that his peak and trough T and E2 were nearly identical on subQ.  I split out his comments and data here:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/forum/index.php?topic=7118.0

Balderdasher

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2015, 03:55:16 am »
Evening All -

Been awhile, as I've intentionally been trying to clear my head from thinking about TRT-related issues for awhile.  Just had labs drawn last Monday:

Protocol: 45mg T. Cyp E3.5D subQ

Testosterone: 962ng/dl (348-1197)
Free T: 16.9pg/ml (9.3-26.5)
E2 (Sensitive): 21 pg/ml (8-35)
E2 (Standard): 26 pg/ml (7.6-42.6)

Will be adding in HCG 500u 3/x week to maintain fertility, and to try to backfill other hormones as I am still experiencing a bit of fatigue and brain fog.  If necessary, I may add in a small amount of Adex to keep E2 from shooting up, but will aim to avoid it if at all possible. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 03:57:01 am by Balderdasher »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2015, 02:28:29 pm »
Evening All -

Been awhile, as I've intentionally been trying to clear my head from thinking about TRT-related issues for awhile.  Just had labs drawn last Monday:

Will be adding in HCG 500u 3/x week to maintain fertility, and to try to backfill other hormones as I am still experiencing a bit of fatigue and brain fog.  If necessary, I may add in a small amount of Adex to keep E2 from shooting up, but will aim to avoid it if at all possible.

Hey, thx for the estradiol comparison #s in the 20's.  I am probably going to copy / paste those out to another thread, because I have had questions on that.

Comment:  Don't add Arimidex imo until you get your labs.  It's just too easy to crash yourself.  I don't know of any clinic or big name HRT doc that just automatically gives an AI without pulling estradiol first.

Balderdasher

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2015, 12:03:48 am »
Evening All -

Hey, thx for the estradiol comparison #s in the 20's.  I am probably going to copy / paste those out to another thread, because I have had questions on that.

Comment:  Don't add Arimidex imo until you get your labs.  It's just too easy to crash yourself.  I don't know of any clinic or big name HRT doc that just automatically gives an AI without pulling estradiol first.

Re: your comment about Arimidex - absolutely.  I was hovering around 15 pg/ml E2 for awhile and began to experience what I thought were high E2 symptoms.  I took .25mg adex and retested, and I came back at 6 pg/ml - huge crash.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2015, 01:32:21 am »
I think almost everything requires both labs and symptoms to be taken into account. 

Balderdasher

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2015, 04:21:39 pm »
Hey All -

Latest labs on 45mg T Cyp 2x/week + 500u HCG 3x/week.  Feeling some symptoms of high-ish E2 (little moodier than usual, fatigue, bit of brain fog).  Hard to tell if these symptoms are hormonal, or the result of this lingering/undiagnosed throat infection that I've had on and off for a couple of years now.

Have now been off Viagra/Cialis for about 6 months and have only experienced ED twice, so pumped to see some improvement in this area.  Being off viagra/cialis also seems to have alleviated some bloating/upset stomach issues, GERD, and stuffiness issues.  Libido has improved greatly.

Worth noting that HCG shot my peak up by ~600 ng/dl.  Strength in the gym is off the charts - setting new PRs pretty regularly.  Also, a nagging meniscus tear I had been avoiding surgery on for about a year and a half has actually almost completely healed per the latest MRI results.  Truly a godsend - back running a few times a week and, while some occasional irritation persists, finally starting to feel like I'm getting back into my normal routine.

Also, doc had me try armour thyroid 1 grain/day.  Did it for 4 days, felt pretty cruddy/high-stress, so I stopped.  Sleepy for a few days then returned to normal.  May have been worth it to give it a shot for a bit longer, but at this point I am trying to avoid additional meds whenever possible.

Trough

Tests: (1) Testosterone,Free and Total (140103)
Order Note: Clinical Information: Scheduled: 8/6/2015
Testosterone, Serum [H] 1373 ng/dL 348-1197 *1 Comment: See report
Adult male reference interval is based on a population of lean males up to 40 years old.
Free Testosterone(Direct) [H] 28.5 pg/mL (8.7-25.1)
Tests: (2) Estradiol (004515) Estradiol 39.6 pg/mL (7.6-42.6)
Roche ECLIA methodology

Peak

Tests: (3) Testosterone,Free and Total (140103)
Testosterone, Serum [H] 1496 ng/dL 348-1197 *1 Comment: See report
Adult male reference interval is based on a population of lean males up to 40 years old.
Free Testosterone(Direct) [H] 43.5 pg/mL (8.7-25.1 *2)
Tests: (4) Estradiol (004515) Estradiol 36.0 pg/mL (7.6-42.6)
Roche ECLIA methodology

Tests: (2) Thyroid Panel With TSH (000620)
TSH - 2.38 uIU/mL (0.45-4.5)
Thyroxine (T4) 8.1 ug/dL (4.5-12.0)
T3 Uptake 31% (24-39)
Free Thyroxine Index 2.5 (1.2-4.9)

WBC 5.4x10E3/uL (3.4-10.8)
RBC 5.26x10E6/uL (4.14-5.8)
Hemoglobin 16.4 gdL (12.6-17.7)
Hematocrit 48.5% (37.5-51)
MCV 92 fL (79-97)
MCH 31.2 pg (26.6-33)
MCHC 33.8 g/dL (31.5-35.7)
RDW 12.9% (12.3-15.4)
Platelets 236 x10E3/uL (150-379)
Neutrophils 55%
Monocytes 33%
Eos 2%
Basos 1%
Neutrophils (Absolute) 3.0x10E3/uL (1.4-7.0)
Lymphs (absolute) 1.8x10E3/uL (.07-3.1)
Monocytes (absolute) 0.5x10E3/uL (0.1-0.9)
Eos (absolute) 0.1x10E3/uL (0.0-0.4)
Baso (absolute) 0.0x10E3/uL (0.0-0.2)
Immature granulocytes 0%
Immature grans (Abs) 0.0x10E3/uL (0.0-0.1)

Plan
Tapering T Cyp down to 35mg 2x/week.  1st week on this protocol feeling better overall.  Drawing labs in 2 months.

Other Issues
Thinking my fatigue may be due to some sort of lingering throat infection (which, interestingly enough, began right about the same time I was diagnosed w/ Low T and experiencing symptoms) more than hormone levels.  Lymph nodes are slightly swollen all around my jaw line/under my chin and have been for about 2.5 years now, and my voice/uvula get pretty agitated when talking for any length of time.  No docs thus far have been able to nail down exactly what is going on, but one has suggested cutting off a piece of turbinate in the right nostril to try and alleviate some post nasal drip.  Have been resistant to this, but am getting to the point where I need to try something.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 04:27:41 pm by Balderdasher »

Balderdasher

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2015, 12:28:11 am »
Hey Fellas -

Looking for a bit of advice on how to proceed.

Current protocol: 37mg T Cyp 2x/week SubQ (Sunday Morning/Wednesday Evening); 500IU HCG 3x/week (MWF)

Latest lab results, pulled on a trough day:

Total T: 1298 (348-1197)
Free T: 31.6 (8.7-25.1)
Estradiol: 76.6 (7.6-42.6)

Really shocked to see E2 skyrocket from my last labs, as the protocol is the roughly the same (I am now ~16 weeks in as opposed to 8), but with a lower dose of T Cyp.  Haven't been feeling particularly horrible - in fact, feeling much better as compared to the time I pulled 8 week labs.

Any suggestions re: protocol adjustments from here?  Considering adding in .5mg adex/week, and knocking the T dose down to 30mg 2x/week.  Of course, would prefer to stay off adex altogether, but not really sure if that is an option in the face of pretty ridiculous E2 numbers.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2015, 01:41:07 am »
Hey Fellas -

Looking for a bit of advice on how to proceed.

Current protocol: 37mg T Cyp 2x/week SubQ (Sunday Morning/Wednesday Evening); 500IU HCG 3x/week (MWF)

Latest lab results, pulled on a trough day:

Total T: 1298 (348-1197)
Free T: 31.6 (8.7-25.1)
Estradiol: 76.6 (7.6-42.6)

Really shocked to see E2 skyrocket from my last labs, as the protocol is the roughly the same (I am now ~16 weeks in as opposed to 8), but with a lower dose of T Cyp.  Haven't been feeling particularly horrible - in fact, feeling much better as compared to the time I pulled 8 week labs.

Any suggestions re: protocol adjustments from here?  Considering adding in .5mg adex/week, and knocking the T dose down to 30mg 2x/week.  Of course, would prefer to stay off adex altogether, but not really sure if that is an option in the face of pretty ridiculous E2 numbers.

Funny you bring this up.  I just wrote a page covering this:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/estradiol_dosage_frequency

Can you back down the HCG a bit.  I got "plumped up" from just 250 IU twice per week.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2015, 01:41:07 am »