Quantcast

Author Topic: Easy to Over Train with Low T levels  (Read 5991 times)

mikeash76

• View Profile
Easy to Over Train with Low T levels
« on: November 11, 2012, 04:01:27 pm »

I have been aware of my low T levels for over a year now. Not currently on any treatment and my recent labs came in at 290. One thing that has been happening since August of this year is that if I train 3 days or more in a row, my body typically shuts down on the third or 4th night and I am completely exhausted for 1-2 days most of the time with cold symptoms.  After a few days, the symptoms go away and I can get back to exercising.  This happened twice in August both times at the end of a 3 day workout cycle (pretty intense) and then this past Wednesday night (November 7th, 2012) at the end of a 4 day cycle.

This past week my workouts leading up to the exhaustion were
Sunday - sprints - 30 minutes (legs were sore from the previous week's squats so I didnt' get to complete the workout which is typically 20 sprints as opposed to the 12 I did that day)
Monday - heavy weights shoulders and arms
Tuesday - fat burning cardio on treadmill at incline 40 minutes (heart rate was around 135-140) the entire time
Wednesday- heavy legs squats, stiff leg dead lifts, lunges

Wed night I was exhausted and fell asleep on the couch.
Thursday morning I was worse and struggled to get through the day which I had to drive 2 hours out of town and then back for work - truly miserable day with sore throat and super brain fog (and a serious case of not give a shit)
Friday - still exhausted still brain fog.  Friday night got better after taking cold medicine - I did have some sinus drainage causing the sore throat
Saturday - much better - went to class in the morning, ate good all day, more energy
Sunday (today) - almost back to norm.

This has been the 3rd time this has happened in 4 months and I can't help but think it is the low T because I don't have fevers, maybe 99.1 at best.  My recent blood work didn't have any indications that anything else was wrong other than low T.
I acknowledge my legs were being stressed in a short window and usually wouldn't do cardio on that Tuesday but I admit I did get carried away because I am training for a 12 mile obstacle course run in December which now looks like not such a good idea.

Anyone else experience this while suffering from low T?

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Easy to Over Train with Low T levels
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 05:57:22 pm »
Are you sure you are not overtraining?  It sems like you are training pretty intensely multiple days in a row and this will eventually break down the body.  Guys get addicted to the dopamine rush of intense workouts - been there! - and it takes a lot of effort to break out of that cycle.

And, yes, low testosterone will only make the situation worse, because recovery times increase, nitric oxide levels decrease and there is no longer the tonifying effects on cortisol, etc.   However, keep in mind that overtraining can hammer testosterone.  It may even lead to secondary hypogonadism if it gets bad enough.

Now I'm not saying that you are doing this, but I'm just bringing the subject up, because it is so common.  Look up Overtraining Syndrome if you think it might apply.

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/overtrain

And, if it doesn't, then forgive me for taking you on a tangent.
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 05:57:22 pm »

mikeash76

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 07:04:08 pm »
Sorry Peak T.  My post was probably a bit vague regarding my intention.  I totally believe I have experienced episodes of over training and was looking for confirmation.

I think you just gave it to me.  When I train 3 days a week, very intense but with good rest and actually listen to my body, I have great results without the extreme fatigue.  This last week  was different as I tried to turn it up a notch, ignored my body telling me my legs weren't ready for the crazy stress (3 out of 4 days) and suffered the consequences. 

Since this is a low T forum, I was looking for people with similar experiences of over training with low T being one of the common denominators. 

Thanks for responding.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 07:17:08 pm »
Well, I for one have been there and I've kind of developed a few tricks along the way to overcome that.  It is VERY difficult for me not to overtrain.  I don't know why.  I guess that one reason is that a "regular" workout just seems boring and without purpose.  Of course, that's not true, but internally that's how I feel and I have to spend about 10 minute battling that and then I'm okay...

Anyway, I'll let others respond per your original request...
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 07:17:08 pm »

FightLowT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 09:54:29 pm »
Mike one thing I've learned is that my inability to recover from workouts and build muscle with low-T is very real. I rarely engage in squats and bench press in the same week due to how compounded and taxing the movements are together on the whole body. When I was younger no problem. Now? Sheeeeeuuuutttt!  :-[..I find that three visits of about an hour each for one week is about all my system can handle. During those visits I'm not pushing myself to my potential either. If I try to throw cardio in there it just makes it worse. I think when you have low T you have to balance so carefully the line of maintaining physical condition, "building" muscle, and or overtraining that one almost has to ask what am I doing this for anyway. I have asked that question and that really sucks because I am a big fan of the weight room.

Here is one thing you have to keep in mind. If you begin to feel overtrained and tired it might be very likely you are even decreasing your chances of just maintaining lean body mass since the body is under the added stress. Also most of us work out in the evenings after work and this is characteristically when testosterone is at it's lowest. So if you are 290 ng/dl at the peak in the morning you might be at 189 ng/dl around 5-6 pm. Holy shit right? Don't worry I'm probably not much better. I've got blood work to confirm this as well. We are still young enough that our levels drop about 30-35 percent throughout the day. I've had my levels come in at 199 ng/dl once at 6pm and around 260 ng/dl at 4 pm just because I wanted to test out the circadian rythem findings and because I felt like shit as well....lol..It's honestly kind of funny to think that we are at such a disadvantage during this time of the day and are willing to go and work out...How macho is that? Low- T and feeling like shit but we got to go in there in the weight room and get it done... :o

Just makes the work-outs harder and more of a challenge... >:(......Indeed it does but not in the good way it used to feel like...

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 12:06:46 am »
Red tart cherry juice, beet root juice, B vitamins (via certain yeasts) are great imo to help avoid overtraining.  Zinc also.

And, yes, it's like falling off a cliff for some cases.  In many cases, I think it's just cuzz the guy's perception is suddenly opened.  All of sudden he notices, "I just don't feel right..."  Once that hits him, he starts to really notice what is going on.

That's how it works with us guys:  we have to hit a certain (rather huge) pain threshold before we even notice anything.  (This is when our woman say, "It's about time!") It's like the first time we noticed a Lotus or a Tesla or some other vehicle we liked.  After that, we see them all the time...

JackAndy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 07:45:33 am »
Read the training guides posted by Dr. Casey Butt. He goes into natural bodybuilding and how most of the modern training knowledge is built around steroids. You'll find it refreshing and enlightening. But yeah everyone has different thresholds when they are over-training. You need to conduct personal experiments to find out what works best.
5'11" 190 lbs
150mg Test-E/week

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 04:32:56 pm »
Read the training guides posted by Dr. Casey Butt. He goes into natural bodybuilding and how most of the modern training knowledge is built around steroids. You'll find it refreshing and enlightening. But yeah everyone has different thresholds when they are over-training. You need to conduct personal experiments to find out what works best.

Yes, prior to the steroid era, whole body workouts were the norm and 3 days per week was max.  The only guy I know who somehow beat the system was Jack LaLanne.  But then he was superhuman, eh?

Jack essentially did a steroid-style workout all of his life:  upper body one day and lower body the next with a full body workout on Sunday.  Don't know how he did it...

spiderman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 09:41:38 am »
Guys

Been into weights forever and imo 3 days a week is more than enough if you are doing everything, splitting it day on day off though. I now tend to stick to core and heavy for max T boost and it takes very little to get my other body parts pumped anyway. Go intense in the gym for short periods even when on the treadmill. In between days is sometimes other sports but avoiding the gym for recovery.

Mike...Ok I know now that my T levels arent the worst so it could be that I am actually benefiting more rather than feeling tired due to really low T levels but bear in mind that going to the gym can get you tired anytime and if you are felling a bit low or have a cold its totally normal to be be burned the next day! 
I know when I was really down I had no intention of hitting the gym as it was kinda like whats the point in the gym or anything else. I suppose thats what makes motivation so difficult when your T levels are really low...whats the point?..I'm not gonna get any gains etc...

I do try and keep my body well fuelled after a workout and always stay topped up with Vits proper aminos etc. Check out supplementing Rhodelia... Increases physical and mental endurance whilst excercising, balances stress levels and helps depression...now theres a good combination!..:)

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 09:41:38 am »