Quantcast

Author Topic: Shin Splints  (Read 4819 times)

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Shin Splints
« on: March 20, 2015, 04:42:12 pm »
My oldest son challenged me to beat his mile time and so I took up running  (on the treadmill).  I'm doing pretty good except for one thing:  a NASTY case of shin splints.  Just incredibly painful and I've never had it before.

I haven't been stretching and I've been doing calf raises simultaneously, so those may be the problem.  Anybody else have any miracle cures?  How's you get over it?

I gotta beat my son's time!
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Cronos

• View Profile
Re: Shin Splints
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 04:55:54 pm »
Normally for me it's just takes a few runs for them to go away.

What's the time to beat if I may ask?
ďALL IíM TRYING TO DO IS WIPE OUT HEART DISEASE, DIABETES, HYPERTENSION, AND OBESITY- NATHAN PRITIKIN

Protocol
Test Cyp 70mg sun/wed total 140mg/week IM
Hcg 500iu mon/Thursday
Anastrozole .125mg mon/thur

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 04:55:54 pm »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 05:12:31 pm »

8:15.  No way I can do it with these shin splints.  I should be able to do 8:30 in a couple of weeks if I can get past this.  I did 9 last night but my foot was almost "frozen" from the shin splints - I kind of ran thru the pain if you will.  After reading about it, that's probably not the smartest idea is they think it's caused by inflammation.
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Cronos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 08:46:06 pm »

8:15.  No way I can do it with these shin splints.  I should be able to do 8:30 in a couple of weeks if I can get past this.  I did 9 last night but my foot was almost "frozen" from the shin splints - I kind of ran thru the pain if you will.  After reading about it, that's probably not the smartest idea is they think it's caused by inflammation.

Ok. Fastest I've ever run was 6:30 i believe. But I was also a runner in high school. Typically I get them when I first start up running from a layoff but it's never incapacitating like it sounds you're describing. My shins kind of "readjust" if you will and I'm good in a few days unless I really really push for a distance PR.

But I wouldn't push it Peak. Sounds like one of my family members and she had to have surgery on it it got so bad. So if it doesn't go away I wouldn't push the running...
ďALL IíM TRYING TO DO IS WIPE OUT HEART DISEASE, DIABETES, HYPERTENSION, AND OBESITY- NATHAN PRITIKIN

Protocol
Test Cyp 70mg sun/wed total 140mg/week IM
Hcg 500iu mon/Thursday
Anastrozole .125mg mon/thur

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 08:46:06 pm »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 12:59:27 am »

Ok. Fastest I've ever run was 6:30 i believe. But I was also a runner in high school. Typically I get them when I first start up running from a layoff but it's never incapacitating like it sounds you're describing. My shins kind of "readjust" if you will and I'm good in a few days unless I really really push for a distance PR.

But I wouldn't push it Peak. Sounds like one of my family members and she had to have surgery on it it got so bad. So if it doesn't go away I wouldn't push the running...

Oh I won't!  I learned my lesson.  My shins are actually burning today. 

Can't believe how stupid I was.  I'm pretty skinny but was doing lots of reps on the calf machines with a decent amount of weight.  So I had pre-exhausted them with a bunch of toe raises and then went running and my chicken legs just couldn't handle it. And then I didn't have the common sense to stop! 

« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 02:23:34 am by PeakT »

VinnAY

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 12:04:12 pm »
1, I don't run unless it's a really, really large dog, so...but I've suffered shin splints. I used to wrap my ankles but come up higher, a few inches over the ankle and that helped; wrapped=ace bandage. There's a sheath of tissue in there between the bone and muscle as I recall, it's what get's irritated.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 03:14:37 pm »
1, I don't run unless it's a really, really large dog, so...but I've suffered shin splints. I used to wrap my ankles but come up higher, a few inches over the ankle and that helped; wrapped=ace bandage. There's a sheath of tissue in there between the bone and muscle as I recall, it's what get's irritated.

Well, hopefully, I won't have to do any wraps.  I've taken a few days off of the running and feel pretty much back to normal.  Now I am going to tone down the pace and just slowly work up.  It feels pretty pathetic, but I guess there's no great shame in having weak shins...

Tfan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 08:26:13 pm »

Well, hopefully, I won't have to do any wraps.  I've taken a few days off of the running and feel pretty much back to normal.  Now I am going to tone down the pace and just slowly work up.  It feels pretty pathetic, but I guess there's no great shame in having weak shins...

Time out Peak - shin splins can be serious shit. Can get you to surgery if you insist. Your shin thin membranes are inflamed trying to cure rupture and stress injuries. You need to bring this down!!!

I went thru a long process too that focused on:

1 curing the demaged tissues first
2 realizing that it is the front medial and lateral tibial support muscles that need strengthen8ng. Not necessarily the calves. Very critical change for me
3 working hard on gluteous activation. Look up gluteous amnesia - yes there us such a thing and runners that run on their thigh muscles and not on their butt get all kinds of injuries, including splins
4 lots of running drills to learn to unload the back end of the feet when stepping down ob the ground to support landing.

obe year work
Zeroed now. Running very fast.

Cure the inflamation first before loading up again. I made the mistaje twice it would never go away.
Age 48
Tribullus

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 09:12:51 pm »

Time out Peak - shin splins can be serious shit. Can get you to surgery if you insist. Your shin thin membranes are inflamed trying to cure rupture and stress injuries. You need to bring this down!!!

I went thru a long process too that focused on:

1 curing the demaged tissues first
2 realizing that it is the front medial and lateral tibial support muscles that need strengthen8ng. Not necessarily the calves. Very critical change for me
3 working hard on gluteous activation. Look up gluteous amnesia - yes there us such a thing and runners that run on their thigh muscles and not on their butt get all kinds of injuries, including splins
4 lots of running drills to learn to unload the back end of the feet when stepping down ob the ground to support landing.

obe year work
Zeroed now. Running very fast.

Cure the inflamation first before loading up again. I made the mistaje twice it would never go away.

Thx for the tip and warning Tfan.  Will definitely read on that and learn how to run the right way.  You can kind of assume you know the right way to run and that it's like falling off a log, but I believe ya'!

And, yes, I could tell it was serious.  I could not move my food afterward my last run.  I wanted to beat my son's time so bad I just wasn't thinkng straight.   ;D

Anyway, I just stood on the  treadmill for about five minutes until I could limp off of it.  So I'm taking it super easy.  Today I was walking on the treadmill and it started to bug me a little and I went right over to the bikes, so I'm being pretty good. 

seppuku

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 09:54:09 am »
Imbalance between calf and shin muscle strength?  Put a dumbbell on the floor,  place your foot under the handle andllift it by curling your foot up keeping your heel on the floor.  Might have to angle the leg back a bit to get enough range to lift the bell. When you get good enough you should be able to hang off a tree branch from the tops of your feet.

Tfan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 10:00:53 am »
Imbalance between calf and shin muscle strength?  Put a dumbbell on the floor,  place your foot under the handle andllift it by curling your foot up keeping your heel on the floor.  Might have to angle the leg back a bit to get enough range to lift the bell. When you get good enough you should be able to hang off a tree branch from the tops of your feet.

I lift both feet together to hit the floor without dumbells. I do this for a min to a min and a half. It burns...
Age 48
Tribullus

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 04:48:05 pm »
Guys, I never thought about this.  I've got to have a massive muscle imbalance there as I really hit my calves hard almost every day in the gym.  I've got chicken legs, so I really work on these to try to at least somewhat compensate.  But I have even though about doing a shin exercise and don't remember ever reading an exercise article on it!

seppuku

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 04:59:47 pm »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NBkoV-fSBR8

Couple of methods here, but like I said,  you can just hook your foot under a dumbbell and raise it, include an isometric hold at the top too.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 11:36:49 pm »
Thx guys.  Still having a little discomfort just walking.  Ridiculous!

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 11:36:49 pm »