Quantcast

Author Topic: Losing my Mojo at 37- alternative theory with stress still as the main culprit  (Read 15616 times)

MrChickenkiev

• View Profile
Definitely agree that our antecedents will frown upon our diets.

MrChickenkiev

• View Profile
Going on from the non testosterone and nitric oxide related interventions this site looks at the Spinal role of processing an erection. Again this is not the whole story, as we know for some men testosterone is at least part of the problem. But it is interesting that drugs are being developed which attempt to stimulate dopamine receptor agonists with some success. http://www.nature.com/ijir/journal/v15/n2s/full/3900989a.html#Spinal-processing-of-the-erectile-response

It shows that when you look in the right place and work on the correct pathways you get promising results. This is the kind of work I imagine can be improved upon to the benefit of MANkind :)

" It is now widely understood that central disinhibition plays a crucial role in the induction of erectile responses and this has led to the development of the central initiator, apomorphine SL (Ixense™) [apo SL]. Apo SL acts in the paraventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus as a dopamine receptor agonist. It works as a proerectile conditioner at this level to increase the responses of the erectile pathway following appropriate sexual stimulation. This unique central mode of action of apo SL has thus proved efficacious in approximately 70% of ED patients although persistence may be required to produce a robust effect for the maximum number of patients"

"The clinical efficacy of apo SL has been clearly demonstrated during double-blind crossover clinical trials in over 5000 men with varying degrees of ED from mild to severe. These studies have demonstrated a two-fold increase in the percentage of erections firm enough for intercourse compared to placebo and that apo SL is particularly effective in men with mild-to-moderate ED. The rapid onset of action of apo SL, occurring within 20 min for most patients could help men with ED improve spontaneity in their sexual relationships. The effectiveness of apo SL increases with sequential dosing for patients who sustain the treatment beyond four doses. This treatment regimen offers patients the opportunity of achieving satisfactory sexual performance."

I suspect it is not surprising that interventions sometimes fail with HRT when the problem might have lain all along with the dopamine and possibly acetylcholine circuitry that effects an erection. Mind you all the various hormonal and neurological systems must no doubt work seamlessly for an erection to occur. Happy as I am that these new interventions finally look beyond testosterone and nitric oxide, more diagnostic tools seem required to give men better feedback to indicate whether the problem lies with neurotransmitters or hormones. And even then I think we still require an understanding of why these circuits fail, to allow the treatment of male sexual dysfunction to become a mature science. For me treating symptoms will never be enough. After all prevention will always be better than cure.

I am particularly impressed by the speed at which the apo SL takes effect, which again suggests to me when western medical science gets it's act together like it has for so many other ailments we will get a powerful treatment for ED. Of course it isn't a universally successful treatment which might again suggest that not all ED is the same- a possibility that it Nitric Oxide or compromised T levels might be the other factors? I hate it when they say persistence may be required- it makes me think that they are merely suggesting that more dosages will eventually gain traction with the problem. To me that might be flogging the same dead horse that some men have been asked to flog when dealing with HRT. It might just be the case that they don't understand the full extent of the problem and that a more rounded therapeutic intervention on several fronts might totally restore function- testosterone, nitric oxide and dopamine for example?

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 09:23:57 pm by MrChickenkiev »

Peak Testosterone Forum

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Very, very interesting.  Another great post. 

My only comment is that I predict these will be rife with side effects, since so many of the psychoropics are, but it definitely seems to show the power of dopamine, eh?
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

MrChickenkiev

• View Profile
Well no doubt you are right. As ever I don't want a quick fix, I want a cure- so I won't be trying it myself. In my case I have been through so much the last 5 years it is impossible to say how many parts of the erection's bio chemical pathway I have effected. And it has been extremely difficult to disentangle the various psychological and physical limitations I have had during that period. It is only now that I can say that I am getting my energy back, after 5  months of unemployment. I mean even an interesting thing I read this evening was in relation to acetylcholine and mentally concentrating on sex. For long periods I believe subsequent to my brain surgery I was constantly distracted by a variety of anxieties from relaxing enough to get an erection. Since my short term memory has also been severely compromised, I wondered whether this was the same burn out of the acetlycholine circuitry. For the latter I have been taking choline inositol and I think I am getting some positive results. I mean I have to go back and check I have turned off a tap about 5 times before I am sure I have done it, and the problem seems to be on focusing on recording the incident in the first place- once I have got it into my head I am fine. Anecdotal but I only recognized this as a problem recently, and I know it isn't senility.

Another interesting observation I have had in the last couple of months relates to a possible indicator of my nitric oxide status. I had a small scab on my left temple on my head, which I picked at for about two months because it was irritating me and wouldn't heal. Now after about two months it has all but disappeared, but it seemed to be taking an incredibly long time to heal- never had that experience before. I have been taking arginine in the last month and I have a sneaky feeling that this encouraged the wound to heal, I know there is a relationship between nitric oxide and wound healing but I just wonder whether you can extrapolate from this to it's concentration in endothelial membranes. I've been trying to think for a while is there a name for how the body has a hierarchy of systems it preserves or allocates priority to. I've been terming it "the body's triage system" in honour of the field hospital allocation of medical interventions depending on critical need, but I am sure there is a more elegant term, At any rate I would have thought that wound healing must take priority over erectile function as the latter is not life threathening. That is even if such priority driven systems exist in the body.

Anyway I came back to the thread for a reason. I think this is the most comprehensive legible summary of the known pathways towards erectile function that I have come across so far.

http://pharmrev.aspetjournals.org/content/53/3/417.full
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:39:34 am by MrChickenkiev »

Peak Testosterone Forum