Quantcast

Author Topic: Core Training - 15 Min Per Day  (Read 12055 times)

Roger

• View Profile
Re: Core Training - 15 Min Per Day
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 11:55:15 am »
Without going into details, I can tell you for many reasons that my core is pathetic in terms of muscle endurance.  My core is quite strong from weight lifting, hyperextensions and certain ab "lifts" that I do.  But that's not the practical stuff that you need for everyday life.  I did 6 minutes yesterday and want to keep building up to 15 and eventually 15 of more intense stuff.

You may be interested in reading this excellent contrarian view of specific "core" training. Here's an excerpt along with the link to the complete article (Note: CS=core stability; CLBP=chronic lower-back pain):

"It has been shown that during CS exercise, the maximal voluntary contraction (MVC) of the 'core muscles' is well below the level required for muscle hypertrophy and is therefore unlikely to provide strength gains [54-56]. Furthermore, in a study of fatigue in CLBP, four weeks of stabilisation exercise failed to show any significant improvement in muscle endurance [57]. A recent study has demonstrated that as much as 70% MVC is needed to promote strength gains in abdominal muscle [58]. It is unlikely that during CS exercise abdominal muscle would reach this force level [59]." (http://baye.com/the-myth-of-core-stability/)

My own view is that if you are regularly doing intense abdominal exercises (e.g., weighted crunches or sit-ups), lumbar exercises (e.g., deadlifts or lower back machine) and external oblique exercises (e.g., weighted side-bends or machine rotary exercise) with an appropriate level of resistance (65-70% 1RM) and time-under-load (45-90 seconds) your "core" will get about as strong and fit as your genetics will allow. Static holds (e.g., planks) or similar exercises that don't provide any progressive resistance are unnecessary and largely a waste of time and effort.
Height: 5' 8"
Weight: 185 lbs
Body Fat: 10-13%
50 mg test cyp IM twice per week

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 05:24:53 pm »
Without going into details, I can tell you for many reasons that my core is pathetic in terms of muscle endurance.  My core is quite strong from weight lifting, hyperextensions and certain ab "lifts" that I do.  But that's not the practical stuff that you need for everyday life.  I did 6 minutes yesterday and want to keep building up to 15 and eventually 15 of more intense stuff.

You may be interested in reading this excellent contrarian view of specific "core" training. Here's an excerpt along with the link to the complete article (Note: CS=core stability; CLBP=chronic lower-back pain):

"It has been shown that during CS exercise, the maximal voluntary contraction (MVC) of the 'core muscles' is well below the level required for muscle hypertrophy and is therefore unlikely to provide strength gains [54-56]. Furthermore, in a study of fatigue in CLBP, four weeks of stabilisation exercise failed to show any significant improvement in muscle endurance [57]. A recent study has demonstrated that as much as 70% MVC is needed to promote strength gains in abdominal muscle [58]. It is unlikely that during CS exercise abdominal muscle would reach this force level [59]." (http://baye.com/the-myth-of-core-stability/)

My own view is that if you are regularly doing intense abdominal exercises (e.g., weighted crunches or sit-ups), lumbar exercises (e.g., deadlifts or lower back machine) and external oblique exercises (e.g., weighted side-bends or machine rotary exercise) with an appropriate level of resistance (65-70% 1RM) and time-under-load (45-90 seconds) your "core" will get about as strong and fit as your genetics will allow. Static holds (e.g., planks) or similar exercises that don't provide any progressive resistance are unnecessary and largely a waste of time and effort.

Interesing post Roger, but isn't this talking about strength only?  I am looking for muscle endurance.  I think my strength is decent actually in the ab/lower back.  For example, there are guys who can bench 500, but I'll bet they couldn't do 50 pushups.
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 05:24:53 pm »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 05:25:38 pm »
Great post by Roger on how most guys overestimated % body fat and I split it out here:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/forum/index.php?topic=7184.0

He's got pics, etc.
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 08:15:54 am »

Interesing post Roger, but isn't this talking about strength only?  I am looking for muscle endurance.  I think my strength is decent actually in the ab/lower back.  For example, there are guys who can bench 500, but I'll bet they couldn't do 50 pushups.

It's talking about both strength and endurance, PeakT:

"It has been shown that during CS exercise, the maximal voluntary contraction (MVC) of the 'core muscles' is well below the level required for muscle hypertrophy and is therefore unlikely to provide strength gains [54-56]. Furthermore, in a study of fatigue in CLBP, four weeks of stabilisation exercise failed to show any significant improvement in muscle endurance [57]. A recent study has demonstrated that as much as 70% MVC is needed to promote strength gains in abdominal muscle [58]. It is unlikely that during CS exercise abdominal muscle would reach this force level [59]."

Also, it's important to bear in mind that there is a direct relationship between muscular strength and local muscular endurance; the stronger a muscle is the smaller the relative effort required to perform submaximal tasks, the more work it is able to perform. For example, a person who can only bench press 225x1 rep and works up to being able to press 250x1 rep six months later, will now be able to press 225x6 reps at the very least.
Height: 5' 8"
Weight: 185 lbs
Body Fat: 10-13%
50 mg test cyp IM twice per week

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 08:15:54 am »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 02:34:40 pm »
Oops.  Thx Roger.  And noted...

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 02:34:40 pm »