Quantcast

Author Topic: Blood Pressure Down 20pts Using Plant-Based Diet in 4 Days  (Read 14755 times)

zman429

• View Profile
I'm stoked.  I'm a 55 yo male 5'10" 220 lbs.  Last year I did trt and during that time my bp went to 160/90 at the highest. 

I was forced to get off trt after bp meds had serious side effects and low salt diet had minor impact.  After watching the video about Bill Clinton and his struggles with the heart bypass and it's failure and having to go vegan and it working.  I decided to give it a try.

I went with the Esselstyn diet, the most strict, with the idea I can modify it later.

The diet is

1) no meat, dairy, cheese, or eggs
2) no nuts
3) no oils

Ok I know whats left, I discovered nutrional yeast a protein based cheese substitute,  beans, salsa, quiona, oats, vegetables (corn, spinach, sweet potatoes, beets, and broccoli are my staples.  There's more that's what I've been eating.

For the first two days, I got severe hunger pains about every two hours so I had to keep preparing meals, kinda tapas style but still kinda hungry.  After two days the hunger got better, I tend to eat in spurts which isn't helpful, and my energy level picked up.  And my bp dropped 10pts or so.

Okay now 5 days later my bp is 125/80 down from 145/80.  My energy is up.  My libido is up.

So if you're wondering how this will affect you it's easy to give it a go. 

P.S. Here are the links to the Bill Clinton video where he talks about how he felt prior to his heart attack the bypass and the need to also get additional surgery

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/JnDrjY2EgnQ/mqdefault.jpg

Links to Essellstyn discussing his program

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYTf0z_zVs0

« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 02:28:41 am by zman429 »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Blood Pressure Down 20pts Using Plant-Based Diet in 4 Days
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 06:10:45 pm »
I'm stoked.  I'm a 55 yo male 5'10" 220 lbs.  Last year I did trt and during that time my bp went to 160/90 at the highest. 

I was forced to get off trt after bp meds had serious side effects and low salt diet had minor impact.  After watching the video about Bill Clinton and his struggles with the heart bypass and it's failure and having to go vegan and it working.  I decided to give it a try.

I went with the Esselstyn diet, the most strict, with the idea I can modify it later.

The diet is

2) no nuts
3) no oils

Ok I know whats left, I discovered nutrional yeast a protein based cheese substitute,  beans, salsa, quiona, oats, vegetables (corn, spinach, sweet potatoes, beets, and broccoli are my staples.  There's more that's what I've been eating.

For the first two days, I got severe hunger pains about every two hours so I had to keep preparing meals, kinda tapas style but still kinda hungry.  After two days the hunger got better, I tend to eat in spurts which isn't helpful, and my energy level picked up.  And my bp dropped 10pts or so.

Okay now 5 days later my bp is 125/80 down from 145/80.  My energy is up.  My libido is up.

Nice!  As I've mentioned, Esselstyn believe that his diet is successful and he is strict about plant-based precisely because it boosts nitric oxide so much and that is an anti-inflammatory.  Kind of hard to argue with him too much, eh?

And, for anyone reading this, I'll point out the obvious:  the drop in bp means more blood flow as well, which will  be good for the bedroom.

Btw, I essentially am eating - it wasn't really deliberate tho - an Esselstyn Diet that includes daily (BPA-free) sardines and plant-based protein powders.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 06:16:57 pm by PeakT »
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 06:10:45 pm »

factor5a

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 06:32:40 am »
The diet is

2) no nuts
3) no oils

I came to this life to live. If I will not be able to enjoy some of the pleasures of life, I prefer to be dead.

I think key point is that we should not exceed in anything.This is my personal opinion.

I'm very,very, very strict in my diet during the weekdays but Weekends I eat what I want and I'm happy, maybe not very healthy but very happy,lean, and strong.
54 years

HRT  protocol

62 mgs of Sustenon weekly one IM shot
600 IU HGC  weekly divided in two SQ shots
6 click of  HGH daily
1 ml of Progesteron cream daily
Half pill of Arimidex once a week

Last lab tests

Progesterone,
1.50 ng/mL                                       0.21 - 1.54

Estradiol,
26 pg/mL                                              5 - 66

Testosterone Total

* 989.5 ng/dL                               142.0 - 923.0    ;D

Testosterone Libre (free)

* 31.0 ng/dL                                     4.0 - 30.0      ;D

Testosterone Biodisponible

* 645.0 ng/dL                                        98.0 - 590.0

Sex Hormone Binding Globulin

23.4 nmol/L                                              11.2 - 78.1

Alb˙min

3.8 g/dL                                                  3.0 - 5.0

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 10:12:00 am »
The diet is

2) no nuts
3) no oils

I came to this life to live. If I will not be able to enjoy some of the pleasures of life, I prefer to be dead.

I think key point is that we should not exceed in anything.This is my personal opinion.

I'm very,very, very strict in my diet during the weekdays but Weekends I eat what I want and I'm happy, maybe not very healthy but very happy,lean, and strong.

Let me give you something to think about:

There is a study out there that says that how you eat when you are very hungry is what determines what you crave and what you reward yourself with (in terms of neurotransmitters).  So, if you have all of your life eaten meat and fat when you are hungry, this is what you will crave when you are hungry  and what your brain will reward you with when you eat.

Now here is the key:

You can CHANGE this.  It takes a month or two, but if you wait until you are hungry and then consume plant foods, you will actually change.

You may not believe me, but I used to CRAVE bacon and greasy foods.  Just the smell of them would make me hungry.

That is now completely gone.  But you have to do the above over several months. 

I can honestly say now that I have no cravings for things for meat and now grave whole plant foods.  I still like grilled fish a lot, but not really more than anything else. 

Btw, we're all different, but certain plant foods I think taste very very good.  For me, curry and peanut butter and tequila are examples of this.

So pleasure is how you have trained your brain.  In my opinion, you have to take control and not let your brain control you.  My two cents...
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program.aspx
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 10:12:00 am »

factor5a

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 03:40:33 pm »
The diet is

2) no nuts
3) no oils

Let me give you something to think about:

There is a study out there that says that how you eat when you are very hungry is what determines what you crave and what you reward yourself with (in terms of neurotransmitters).  So, if you have all of your life eaten meat and fat when you are hungry, this is what you will crave when you are hungry  and what your brain will reward you with when you eat.

Now here is the key:

You can CHANGE this.  It takes a month or two, but if you wait until you are hungry and then consume plant foods, you will actually change.

You may not believe me, but I used to CRAVE bacon and greasy foods.  Just the smell of them would make me hungry.

That is now completely gone.  But you have to do the above over several months. 

I can honestly say now that I have no cravings for things for meat and now grave whole plant foods.  I still like grilled fish a lot, but not really more than anything else. 

Btw, we're all different, but certain plant foods I think taste very very good.  For me, curry and peanut butter and tequila are examples of this.

So pleasure is how you have trained your brain.  In my opinion, you have to take control and not let your brain control you.  My two cents...

mmmmm......

Interesting,Peakbut let me tell you that if I propose to myself to quit certain things I can do it without a problem ,but I want to be free and to eat whatever I want ,sometimes. I really eat free Fridays and Saturday's nights. The rest of the meals on all the rest of the weekday, I'm very carefull on what and when I eat.  I think that psychologically is very stresfull to keep always like that. Not very healthy ? maybe. But I'm tired off being worry of everything if I can died suddenly being hit by a truck  ;D 

54 years

HRT  protocol

6 click of  HGH daily

Last lab tests

Progesterone,

Estradiol,

Testosterone Total

Alb˙min

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 03:49:10 pm »

mmmmm......

Interesting,Peakbut let me tell you that if I propose to myself to quit certain things I can do it without a problem ,but I want to be free and to eat whatever I want ,sometimes. I really eat free Fridays and Saturday's nights. The rest of the meals on all the rest of the weekday, I'm very carefull on what and when I eat.  I think that psychologically is very stresfull to keep always like that. Not very healthy ? maybe. But I'm tired off being worry of everything if I can died suddenly being hit by a truck  ;D

Okay, and let me give you something to think about:

Don't go by what I say.  Don't go by what you think.

Go by the numbers.  Monitor your nutrient status, your lipids and your glucose/insulin.  If your diet is working for you, then it will show up in the numbers.  If it's not working, then get the numbers right for maximum performance.  Clogged arteries, damaged neurons, shortened telomeres - these are not going to allow you the kind of lifestyle that you deserve the next couple of decades in your life.

Remember:  it's all about chemistry.  Chemistry allows you to enjoy life and not the other way around...

factor5a

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 04:46:05 pm »

mmmmm......

Go by the numbers.  Monitor your nutrient status, your lipids and your glucose/insulin.  If your diet is working for you, then it will show up in the numbers.  If it's not working, then get the numbers right for maximum performance.  Clogged arteries, damaged neurons, shortened telomeres - these are not going to allow you the kind of lifestyle that you deserve the next couple of decades in your life.

Remember:  it's all about chemistry.  Chemistry allows you to enjoy life and not the other way around...

I agree in what you say , Peak. Maybe we are debating in something we both agree. I only go free on two meals in the week. Friday and Saturday's night. Besides that I eat very healthy,low fat, tons of greens etc. The only thing I need to solve is my protein intake. I need to find a "cheap" and good source. Whey, sucks !!! and we do not have a lot of options down here.

But anyway, if somebody tell me to choose from having some fun in the weekends or to live 5  years more, I'll think about it.  :D
54 years

HRT  protocol

6 click of  HGH daily

Last lab tests

Progesterone,

Estradiol,

Testosterone Total

Alb˙min

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 05:03:42 pm »

mmmmm......

I agree in what you say , Peak. Maybe we are debating in something we both agree. I only go free on two meals in the week. Friday and Saturday's night. Besides that I eat very healthy,low fat, tons of greens etc. The only thing I need to solve is my protein intake. I need to find a "cheap" and good source. Whey, sucks !!! and we do not have a lot of options down here.

But anyway, if somebody tell me to choose from having some fun in the weekends or to live 5  years more, I'll think about it.  :D

Hey, you have fun on the weekends, okay?  But not TOO much fun!  By the way, when I go out to eat with my wife, I'm no saint either.  So I'm with you on that one.  But I sure do preach a good sermon, don't I?

factor5a

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 05:09:42 pm »

mmmmm......

Hey, you have fun on the weekends, okay?  But not TOO much fun!  By the way, when I go out to eat with my wife, I'm no saint either.  So I'm with you on that one.  But I sure do preach a good sermon, don't I?

hahahahaha ! yes
54 years

HRT  protocol

6 click of  HGH daily

Last lab tests

Progesterone,

Estradiol,

Testosterone Total

Alb˙min

Tfan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 05:46:02 pm »

The diet is

2) no nuts
3) no oils

Super interesting. Some of us are on the quest here in this forum to lower bp and get off bp control meds.

A - i still keep fish ias protein source
B - keep nuts
C - decresed oils significantly bot did not altogether

Bp went down but not enough to get off meds.

I have two worries and one difficulty

1 - i worry that eliminating fish will be hard for protein intake reasons
2 - i worry that going too much low fat - no nut no oil will decrease my
T level - i am not on TRT
3 - i have difficulties controlling oil ontake when eating out

I am slowly progressing. Any thoughts?
Age 48
Tribullus

zman429

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 02:39:02 am »
factor5a - I completely agree which is why I'm not taking BP meds.  In the video where they interviewed Bill Clinton about how he felt prior to his heart attack.  I have a lot of those symptoms and after listening to esselstyn talk about how his diet works and the fact that it will restore the endothelial function within 3 weeks and start the plaque reversal.  I decided I could do this for three weeks and reevaluate where I'm at which is what I'm doing.  Based on what I'm seeing so far.  I'm going to be inclined to continue.  Does that mean I won't have an occasional steak probably not.  Will I have one everyday?  It's not looking that way.

Essellstyn recommends going all in on this diet because that's how you'll see the fastest results.  And for me I can do it for three weeks.

zman429

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 02:46:40 am »
tfan you didn't say what your bp is.  But I've tried a lot of things including low salt, eating lots of nitrates and meat and I got some results but nothing like this.  And it only took four days, that's pretty doable in my book.  Not sure what you like but try eating a low salt diet with spinach, beets, corn, sweet potatoes, beans, salsa, salad, fruits, and nutrional yeast for 4-5 days and see what happens.  Eat when you get hungry and you will get hungry for the first couple of days just eat something when you do.

factor5a

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 06:03:48 am »
factor5a - I completely agree which is why I'm not taking BP meds.  In the video where they interviewed Bill Clinton about how he felt prior to his heart attack.  I have a lot of those symptoms and after listening to esselstyn talk about how his diet works and the fact that it will restore the endothelial function within 3 weeks and start the plaque reversal.  I decided I could do this for three weeks and reevaluate where I'm at which is what I'm doing.  Based on what I'm seeing so far.  I'm going to be inclined to continue.  Does that mean I won't have an occasional steak probably not.  Will I have one everyday?  It's not looking that way.

Essellstyn recommends going all in on this diet because that's how you'll see the fastest results.  And for me I can do it for three weeks.

Zman

If I were you I will stick to this (strictly)for a medium period of time,1 year. After that, I will start having some free meals like myself,just on weekends and not all of the meals of the weekends. You, know, as I said, life is to enjoy.  ;)

BTW, do you exercise at all ? I think nobody had asked this to you. By your stats, I think you are overweight. Sorry for my poor english
54 years

HRT  protocol

6 click of  HGH daily

Last lab tests

Progesterone,

Estradiol,

Testosterone Total

Alb˙min

golfboy307

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 02:35:50 pm »
I have to chime in here a bit.  I tried an all plant diet for a week or two at most, and found it nearly impossible to adhere to, since I eat most of my lunches out for business, and dinners with family.  When I was able to get as close as possible, my BP didn't budge much (maybe 5-7 points).  Now, I try to eat as many veggies and salads as humanly possible, with some exceptions for egg whites, lean chicken breast and the occasional filet.  Trying to eliminate refined carbs as much as possible.  I would love to get off BP meds, but have had no side effects with them.  I agree with the guy who said, you cant eat in fear all of the time.  That is no way to live. Genetics, exercise and lifestyle all count too.  Mine is likely genetic given both parents had high BP.  My doctor thinks mine would be much worse if I wasn't as strict as I am.  I agree with Peak, I don't crave that junk food anymore, which is nice.

I am all for those folks like you who can do it with food only.  More power to you.  Love hearing the success stories.  It just isn't that way for everyone.   
Age 51, 5'10, 155 lbs
Cholesterol 162 (HDL 59, LDL 87, Trigs 88, LDL-P 850)
Fasting Glucose 65 (down from 97 pre TRT)
A1C:  5.0 (down from 5.7 per TRT)
Homocysteine:  12.4 > 11.0 > 10.2 > 8.9 using B vitamin therapy.  MTHFR positive 

BP  120/78 (using improved diet and 10 mg Lisinopril ACE Inhibitor)  145/90 prior to meds.

Current protocol:  60 mg Test Cyp IM every 5 days.  No AI.
2/15/17 labs:  Total T (peak day): 1169 (250 - 1100 ng/dl).  Free T 198 pg/ML (46-225).  Sensitive E2: 40 High.  Previously 32. PSA 0.2  Hemocrit 44.2. SHBG: 32
9/15/18 labs:  Total T (trough day):  598 (250 -1100 ng/dl)  Free T 73.9 (46-225) Sensitive E2: 21  Hemocrit 43.7  SHBG 34
2/20/19 labs:  Total T (mid point):  776 (250 -1100 ng/dl) Free T 115.6 (46 - 224 pg/ml) Sensitive E2 24 (<29), DHT 43 (16-79 ng), DHEA-s 244 (70-495 mcg/dl)

Supplements:  Multivitamin, plus additional B12, B6, C, D, K2, Red Yeast Rice, Magnesium, and Coq10  Evening:  Kyolic Garlic, 2mg Cialis, LEF Endothelial Protection

golfboy307

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 02:40:01 pm »
One last comment Zman:  at 510, 220 lbs you are going to drop some major pounds on this diet.  That by itself is going to help your BP and glucose profile tremendously.  You better go shopping for some new pants soon... :)
Age 51, 5'10, 155 lbs
Cholesterol 162 (HDL 59, LDL 87, Trigs 88, LDL-P 850)
Fasting Glucose 65 (down from 97 pre TRT)
A1C:  5.0 (down from 5.7 per TRT)
Homocysteine:  12.4 > 11.0 > 10.2 > 8.9 using B vitamin therapy.  MTHFR positive 

BP  120/78 (using improved diet and 10 mg Lisinopril ACE Inhibitor)  145/90 prior to meds.

Current protocol:  60 mg Test Cyp IM every 5 days.  No AI.
2/15/17 labs:  Total T (peak day): 1169 (250 - 1100 ng/dl).  Free T 198 pg/ML (46-225).  Sensitive E2: 40 High.  Previously 32. PSA 0.2  Hemocrit 44.2. SHBG: 32
9/15/18 labs:  Total T (trough day):  598 (250 -1100 ng/dl)  Free T 73.9 (46-225) Sensitive E2: 21  Hemocrit 43.7  SHBG 34
2/20/19 labs:  Total T (mid point):  776 (250 -1100 ng/dl) Free T 115.6 (46 - 224 pg/ml) Sensitive E2 24 (<29), DHT 43 (16-79 ng), DHEA-s 244 (70-495 mcg/dl)

Supplements:  Multivitamin, plus additional B12, B6, C, D, K2, Red Yeast Rice, Magnesium, and Coq10  Evening:  Kyolic Garlic, 2mg Cialis, LEF Endothelial Protection

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 02:40:01 pm »