Quantcast

Author Topic: BAD HYPTENSION REACTION to TRT  (Read 5552 times)

cbetz

• View Profile
BAD HYPTENSION REACTION to TRT
« on: May 06, 2015, 09:31:55 pm »
Hey guys, first time poster here. I've enjoyed Peak Testosterone as a resource since I began TRT a month ago.

I'm a 32y/o male. Diagnosed with Low T last summer. Workout 4 days per week for as long as I can remember (weights and bball). In great shape, always watching diet. Started feeling a lot of the negative symptoms this spring (head fog, erectile, etc) and had to take action. Levels anywhere from 199-341 depending on the measurement date/time.

Here's my problem (besides low T):

I started Androgel a month ago (2 pumps of 40mg every morning) with an established Endo. I started feeling positive effects rather immediately, but within 5 days it was hard to concentrate and my vision was a little weird. Something was off. Coffee made things worse so I stopped that. I started to feel like crap, and had random muscle twitches too.

So, I checked my blood pressure and it was 157/100. It stayed in that range. Immediately before I started treatment, my blood pressure was 125/80 (my norm of many many years), and we had an extensive blood panel done that basically said I was incredibly healthy with no problems, except for my boys not doing their job. My doctor took me off of Androgel after 14 days to see if it was causing the blood pressure spike (he's never heard of it doing so). 7 days later I reported to him that my blood pressure was still high, but fluctuating more downward. He said I needed to get with my GP before we try another treatment, so I did. GP thought it was absolutely crazy (for a healthy guy like me) to have high blood pressure, and had also never heard of High BP with Testosterone. My Endo said hemocrit levels take months to increase, so that was ruled out.

I did follow up and looked at the Androgel research trials which showed a 3% adverse event statistic for Hypertension. That explanation gave me a bit of relief.

Anyway, finally after about 10 days after getting off of AndroGel, my blood pressure finally normalized. It's been normal for about 5 days now. So, I can attribute it to the T. Then of course followed the head fog and symptoms again.

Here is where I need help:

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this quick onset hypertension caused by AndroGel or any other method of TRT? Any idea why this happened physiologically? Do you know if injections have this risk? Do you have any advice as to how I should proceed from here once I hit my baseline? For example, if I go with injections, should I push my doctor or team to start me off more slowly? Should I start trying TRT injection clinics, or should I find a different Endo or Primary Care Doctor to help move me forward? I'm very afraid of life without the proper amount of T, for good reason, but I'm also freaked out about what happened with my BP and hope to avoid that moving forward!!!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.   ;D

Thanks,

CB
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 11:00:39 pm by PeakT »

Sighalot

• View Profile
Re: BAD HYPTENSION REACTION to TRT
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 09:45:15 pm »
High blood pressure is one risk with trt  :(
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 11:00:01 pm by PeakT »

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 09:45:15 pm »

Invincible

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 10:08:06 pm »
I had panic and anxiety attacks.
From what I understand, this occurs as the body's adaptation so as several neurotransmitters are involved with testosterone.
I recommend this reading: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/testosterone_brain

Follow firm my friend.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 11:00:10 pm by PeakT »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 10:57:28 pm »
Hey guys, first time poster here. I've enjoyed Peak Testosterone as a resource since I began TRT a month ago.

I'm a 32y/o male. Diagnosed with Low T last summer. Workout 4 days per week for as long as I can remember (weights and bball). In great shape, always watching diet. Started feeling a lot of the negative symptoms this spring (head fog, erectile, etc) and had to take action. Levels anywhere from 199-341 depending on the measurement date/time.

Here's my problem (besides low T):

I started Androgel a month ago (2 pumps of 40mg every morning) with an established Endo. I started feeling positive effects rather immediately, but within 5 days it was hard to concentrate and my vision was a little weird. Something was off. Coffee made things worse so I stopped that. I started to feel like crap, and had random muscle twitches too.

So, I checked my blood pressure and it was 157/100. It stayed in that range. Immediately before I started treatment, my blood pressure was 125/80 (my norm of many many years), and we had an extensive blood panel done that basically said I was incredibly healthy with no problems, except for my boys not doing their job. My doctor took me off of Androgel after 14 days to see if it was causing the blood pressure spike (he's never heard of it doing so). 7 days later I reported to him that my blood pressure was still high, but fluctuating more downward. He said I needed to get with my GP before we try another treatment, so I did. GP thought it was absolutely crazy (for a healthy guy like me) to have high blood pressure, and had also never heard of High BP with Testosterone. My Endo said hemocrit levels take months to increase, so that was ruled out.

I did follow up and looked at the Androgel research trials which showed a 3% adverse event statistic for Hypertension. That explanation gave me a bit of relief.

Anyway, finally after about 10 days after getting off of AndroGel, my blood pressure finally normalized. It's been normal for about 5 days now. So, I can attribute it to the T. Then of course followed the head fog and symptoms again.

Here is where I need help:

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this quick onset hypertension caused by AndroGel or any other method of TRT? Any idea why this happened physiologically? Do you know if injections have this risk? Do you have any advice as to how I should proceed from here once I hit my baseline? For example, if I go with injections, should I push my doctor or team to start me off more slowly? Should I start trying TRT injection clinics, or should I find a different Endo or Primary Care Doctor to help move me forward? I'm very afraid of life without the proper amount of T, for good reason, but I'm also freaked out about what happened with my BP and hope to avoid that moving forward!!!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.   ;D

Thanks,

CB

Sorry to hear about the experience.  As the other poster said, this does happen.  Usually, guys will notice a slight blood pressure increase and not a dramatic change like you.  Because of this, some guys ignore it, which of course I think is a mistake. 

I doubt that another delivery system will help.  One of the reasons I say that is that usually Androgel does not really jack up a guy's testosterone levels.  One option and of course you have to discuss this with your doctor first as high blood pressure is potentially very serious - is to go on a lower dose and see if that helps. Because your reaction was so dramatic, I kind of doubt it.

Also, I have not heard a definitive explanation as to why this occurs in some men.  There are differen theories out there.  Maybe one of the guys on here will know, but that's the state of affairs as I see it.

One last q:

When you say that your bp is stabilizing now, where are you at?  What is your last bp read(s)? 

One last thing:  the very serious psychological disturbances from HRT that I have seen a few times here seem to be with the lower SHBG guys.  Have you pulled your SHBG?

Check out this page for a description:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/testosterone_risks
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 11:00:27 pm by PeakT »
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 10:57:28 pm »

Kierkegaard

• Hormone Shrink
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 12:33:41 am »
Your response is something not uncommon for guys on TRT.  I just recently had an attack where heartrate increased, got jittery and a little anxious, but tired at the same time. 

My guess (given the symptoms) is this indicates high adrenaline (norepinephrine), which could possibly indicate low cortisol, which is known to affect some guys on TRT for somewhat complicated reasons.  Do you have your LH numbers to show?  Any chance you've tested for cortisol?

The way I significantly helped mine was by making smaller and more frequent injections of my testosterone cypionate.  That's different for you since you're talking about a gel, but perhaps you could try lowering your dose? 
"The same thing that makes you live can kill you in the end." -- Neil Young

March 2014: Dx low T (158ng/dl)
September 2015: Dx hypothyroidism, other adrenal hypofunction
2016: chronic fatigue, unspecified

Depression and anxiety guide: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Help_Anxiety_Depression

Hydranted

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 01:21:01 am »
As has been stated, hypertension isn't unheard of while on TRT.  The sudden spike is a little bit out of the ordinary though.

This is purely anecdotal, but it seems that it may be more of an issue with transdermal testosterone. 

It doesn't look like you had any bloodwork before discontinuing treatment, so it's possible that the dose may have been too high for you.  We all respond differently.  Most men who take too much testosterone will experience a rise in BP.

Personally, I'd rather be able to maintain normal hormone values while taking a BP medication than suffer through low testosterone again...but that's a decision that you may need to mull over on your own.  This could be a simple fix though, and perhaps a lower dose or alternate delivery method would suit you well.

cbetz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 03:07:34 pm »
Thanks for your responses thus far. I really appreciate it. All: do you know of ginseng supplementation (stopped about a week before I started TRT) or any other male herbals affecting men on TRT?

In response to your questions:

Peak T: I definitely felt like my libido and morning erections were back within a few days. It seemed like it kicked in really quickly - I had more mental clarity and focus really fast. Maybe my absorbtion rate was atypical and I do need a lower dose or a different method of getting it. Baseline SHBG BEFORE beginning treatment was 43.0 (13.0-71.0 range) and Free Androgen Index was 27.5 (14.8-94.8 range).

Other values BEFORE (did not measure during or after getting off):
DHEA - 280
TSH - 2.0
LH - 6.2
Prolactin - 10.2
Estradiol - 32
Testosterone - 341 (had come up from 299 - slowed my workouts)

Kierkegaard - LH was 6.2 one week before getting on AndroGel. I didn't have cortisol checked. Thanks for the info. I guess I could have cortisol checked in a standard panel.

Hydranted - Thanks for your feedback. I am coming around to the possibility that the dose was too high. I may be absorbing way more than an average male. I think I agree on the blood pressure med vs. not having enough T. I guess I can mull that over as I get with my doctor and take a look at what our next attempt will look like.

Does anyone know of a Doctor in Houston, TX or Austin, TX that has a track record of being well versed in TRT? Since my case is very specific, I'd like to find someone who has more experience, if possible.

Thanks again guys.

Carl

cbetz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 03:17:52 pm »
Peak T: I failed to mention that my blood pressure (after settling back down 10 days+ after getting off of TRT) is back down to my norm of 125/80.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 03:17:52 pm »