Quantcast

Author Topic: Could really use some help  (Read 5125 times)

thunderhearer

• View Profile
Could really use some help
« on: November 27, 2012, 12:23:55 am »
I have three questions and truly appreciate any help that can be offered:

For background, I was diagnosed with hypogonadism in early June. I do not have erectile issues or low libido, but I do have pretty significant (chronic) fatigue as well as anxiety and depression (for which I am taking Celexa since the TRT isn't helping)...

Question One: Since using Angrogel 1.62% for a month or so, shouldn't I have higher total and free testosterone levels than before I first started using it?

Question Two: Is it a problem that my "% free testosterone" is now outside of (slightly higher than) LABCORPS reference range for the percentage (it was normal before I started taking the Androgel 1.62%)?

Question Three: Since my numbers were still low under Angrogel 1.62%, my doc switched me to Fortesta. What confuses me is that with the Androgel 1.62% I was taking 4 pumps (81mg total of testosterone) but my doc has me taking 4 pumps of Fortesta 2% which is only 40mg of testosterone. Is the difference between a 2% solution and a 1.62% solution so significant that taking 40mg less testosterone will still give me higher serum/total levels? It seems to me that if I cut my testosterone mg by 40mg, even if I am using a 2% solution, I am not getting nearly as much total testosterone as I was with Androgel 1.62% - when I asked my doc, I was told (via voicemail) "Fortesta is more concentrated."

If it helps, my test results are as follows:

Before Androgel 1.62% TRT:
Total testosterone
171 (early June), 241 (late June), 200 (early Sept.)

Free testosterone
7.9 (late June), 8.14 (early Sept.)

% Free testosterone
3.27% (late June), 4.07% (early September)

LH
6.5 (late June), 4.2 (early Sept.)

FSH
3 (late June), 2.5 (early Sept.)

Prolactin
16.1 (June) and 7.4 (Sept)

After a month or so on Androgel 1.62% TRT:
Total testosterone
164 (Early Nov. - lower than before TRT)

Free testosterone
7.53 (Early Nov. - lower than before TRT)

% Free testosterone
4.59% (Early Nov. - this exceeds LABCORPS ref range).

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 12:33:08 am by thunderhearer »

Quincy

• View Profile
Re: Could really use some help
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 12:40:47 am »
I wouldn't get my hopes up. You are taking half as much T. The only thing that will give you better results is the fact you absorb the new gel more efficiently. I doubt it will happen, but you never know. I think usually people either absorb the topicals well or they don't. Worth a try I guess, but I think he shouldn't have cut the dosage in half.
56yo, Pre  T level 239
Previous dosage 180mg T.cypionate weekly BW @ 1056 on 7th day of cycle
Previous dosage 100mg T.cypionate weekly BW @   414 on 7th day of cycle

Current dosage  140mg T.cypionate weekly

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 12:40:47 am »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 07:50:10 am »
Ouch!  You asked a number of q's but there are some things that are critically important here in my mind:

You wrote " I am taking Celexa since the TRT isn't helping."  Well, the TRT isn't helping because your testosterone is still abysmally low.  You cannot blame the TRT until the doc gets your testosterone up into the 500+ range.  (Some guys will do okay in the 400's but not usually from what I've seen.) Injections, pellets and often patches will do that in a heartbeat. 

Well, the regulars will recognize this statement:  Androgel is by far the most complained about delivery method.  It seems to lower T more often that not!

Remember that it's absorption that counts as much as the actual amount of testosterone.  So don't even give that a second thought:  here is what is important:

1.  Get tested as soon as you can to see if the new T is absorbing and working.
2.  Get your estradiol checked if you can.  There's a good chane your low testosterone still and this means that your E2 may be very low.  This can be dangerous and can also effect the brain

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Do_Men_Need_Estrogen

3.  Your depression is likely exacerbated by testosterone levels that low.  It would not surprise me if proper testosterone levels could get you off Celexa completely if you couple with that with certain lifestyle changes (if you are not doing them already):

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Depression_Cures

So hang in there and talk to your doctor about all of this...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 07:05:48 pm by PeakT »
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 07:50:10 am »