Quantcast

Author Topic: High 24 Hour Urine Cortisol Test - How Can I Lower It?  (Read 4000 times)

timmy11

• View Profile
High 24 Hour Urine Cortisol Test - How Can I Lower It?
« on: June 01, 2015, 02:14:37 pm »
My results are 65!! Range is 0-50 according to the life extension email I received.  What are my options to lower cortisol.  Quitting coffee, even decaf, and am currently taking seriphos!  What types of drs deal with this issue? Thanks guys!!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 03:12:52 pm by timmy11 »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: High 24 Hour Urine Cortisol Test - How Can I Lower It?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 03:15:19 pm »
My results are 65!! Range is 0-50 according to the life extension email I received.  What are my options toower cortisol.  Quitting coffee, even decaf, and am currently taking seriphos!  What types of drs deal with this issue? Thanks guys!!

I would still do a 3 point cortisol and see when you are high. 

As far as supplements, phosphatidylserine is supposed to lower cortisol.  To be honest, there isn't a lot of research supporting this using soy-based PS, but some of the online docs have used it for this supposedly successfully.  You have to take quite a bit and it is expensive.  (I believe even the bovine form just helped with "cortisol reactivity.")

I'll put something together for you as I have wanted to do this.  Gimme a bit...
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 03:15:19 pm »

Kierkegaard

• Hormone Shrink
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 03:42:20 pm »
You have to look at any underlying reasons why cortisol is high.  There are three main reasons: physiological, psychological, and chemical stress.  The first could mean an infection, dealing with inflammation (e.g., from allergies), the second from anxiety and stuff, and the third from things you're putting in your body (which would probably cause inflammation). 

And I can almost guarantee that if your cortisol was this high when you ran your T numbers to reveal a diagnosis of hypogonadism that high cortisol is the reason for your low T.  Sapolsky says that the very moment a cut is made by a surgeon for an operation is when testosterone goes way down; i.e., you're dealing with physiological stress. 
"The same thing that makes you live can kill you in the end." -- Neil Young

March 2014: Dx low T (158ng/dl)
September 2015: Dx hypothyroidism, other adrenal hypofunction
2016: chronic fatigue, unspecified

Depression and anxiety guide: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Help_Anxiety_Depression

timmy11

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 03:53:36 pm »
My results are 65!! Range is 0-50 according to the life extension email I received.  What are my options toower cortisol.  Quitting coffee, even decaf, and am currently taking seriphos!  What types of drs deal with this issue? Thanks guys!!

As far as supplements, phosphatidylserine is supposed to lower cortisol.  To be honest, there isn't a lot of research supporting this using soy-based PS, but some of the online docs have used it for this supposedly successfully.  You have to take quite a bit and it is expensive.  (I believe even the bovine form just helped with "cortisol reactivity.")

I'll put something together for you as I have wanted to do this.  Gimme a bit...
Is the 3 point a saliva test?

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 03:53:36 pm »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 05:52:30 pm »

Is the 3 point a saliva test?

I think most guys do this out of convenience.  However, you can get a two point blood draw at LEF.  So you could get morning and afternoon for example, which are I would argue the two most relevant data points.
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

electrify

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 08:02:27 pm »
I actually did the 2 point test a while back and my cortisol was like 24 (high) for both AM/PM. The problem with this test is the stress of having to go to the lab 2 times in a day.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 11:13:59 pm »
Yep.  I don't know if ZRT has a 3 point blood spot cortisol test - never checked...

timmy11

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 02:19:03 pm »
You have to look at any underlying reasons why cortisol is high.  There are three main reasons: physiological, psychological, and chemical stress.  The first could mean an infection, dealing with inflammation (e.g., from allergies), the second from anxiety and stuff, and the third from things you're putting in your body (which would probably cause inflammation). 

And I can almost guarantee that if your cortisol was this high when you ran your T numbers to reveal a diagnosis of hypogonadism that high cortisol is the reason for your low T.  Sapolsky says that the very moment a cut is made by a surgeon for an operation is when testosterone goes way down; i.e., you're dealing with physiological stress.
I do work in an engine factory with coolant in the air.  I also drank a good amount of coffee.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 02:19:03 pm »