Quantcast

Author Topic: Cortisol Controversy in Cycling  (Read 5247 times)

Sam

• View Profile
Cortisol Controversy in Cycling
« on: June 10, 2015, 08:18:35 pm »
An interesting debate is brewing within the cycling community around doping tests for cortisol.   The criticism of a one point cortisol test to determine if a athlete was using cortisone as a PED is getting some push back from pro teams.   Of note is in almost all of these cases the athletes link their asthma medications as the root cause of low cortisol.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mpcc-cortisol-testing-will-not-change-despite-lottonl-jumbos-withdrawal

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Cortisol Controversy in Cycling
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 08:42:39 pm »
An interesting debate is brewing within the cycling community around doping tests for cortisol.   The criticism of a one point cortisol test to determine if a athlete was using cortisone as a PED is getting some push back from pro teams.   Of note is in almost all of these cases the athletes link their asthma medications as the root cause of low cortisol.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mpcc-cortisol-testing-will-not-change-despite-lottonl-jumbos-withdrawal

Wait.  I don't get it.  So why would a pro cyclist have low cortisol?  Seriously, cuzz of asthma medication or am I missing soething?
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 08:42:39 pm »

Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 08:46:58 pm »
They use hydrocortisone to reduce inflammation and help them train harder.   This suppresses natural production.

Some asthma medications are corticosteroids which would have the same effect.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 09:41:44 pm »
They use hydrocortisone to reduce inflammation and help them train harder.   This suppresses natural production.

Good lord.  I cannot believe they would take HC.  Madness.  I am actually about to do a page on that.  Dr. Scally has a great thread on the subject.  You'll see shortly...Unbelievable.  I love sports but stuff like this is just such a turn off - so anti-health.
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 09:41:44 pm »

Cronos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 11:30:42 pm »

Good lord.  I cannot believe they would take HC.  Madness.  I am actually about to do a page on that.  Dr. Scally has a great thread on the subject.  You'll see shortly...Unbelievable.  I love sports but stuff like this is just such a turn off - so anti-health.

All sports are like this unfortunately... When this much money is often at stake people are going to do anything and everything they can for that extra sec, extra strength, size ect. Not healthy but they're not exactly after health... They're after winning. Until we find a way to eliminate all doping it won't go away. Pretty soon it'll be gene doping for the edge...
ďALL IíM TRYING TO DO IS WIPE OUT HEART DISEASE, DIABETES, HYPERTENSION, AND OBESITY- NATHAN PRITIKIN

Protocol
Test Cyp 70mg sun/wed total 140mg/week IM
Hcg 500iu mon/Thursday
Anastrozole .125mg mon/thur

Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 11:54:33 pm »
I say let them dope.   What the hell right we've basically given up all sense of decorum in our society so why not just let people do what they want if they aren't directly physically/hurting others.

Cronos

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 12:31:58 am »
I say let them dope.   What the hell right we've basically given up all sense of decorum in our society so why not just let people do what they want if they aren't directly physically/hurting others.

Well I've said that to many people and they always say that's cheating. Most people are naive to the fact that 99% of the people at the professional level of any sport are doping in some way... Make it legal in sports for people at the pro level to dope and it levels the playing field completely. Secondly even at that level it still comes down to genetics and work
ďALL IíM TRYING TO DO IS WIPE OUT HEART DISEASE, DIABETES, HYPERTENSION, AND OBESITY- NATHAN PRITIKIN

Protocol
Test Cyp 70mg sun/wed total 140mg/week IM
Hcg 500iu mon/Thursday
Anastrozole .125mg mon/thur

explorer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 12:55:59 am »
Well I've said that to many people and they always say that's cheating. Most people are naive to the fact that 99% of the people at the professional level of any sport are doping in some way... Make it legal in sports for people at the pro level to dope and it levels the playing field completely. Secondly even at that level it still comes down to genetics and work

I read that T3 (thyroid) falls after intense exercise... and magnesium prevents the fall. Magnesium, undetectable dope?

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 01:20:27 am »

I understand your sentiment.  Here's the problem though:

I don't want to watch it if they dope - pure and simple.  Do you know what those guys go thru when they take EPO.  They have to have a trainer in their room with them to make sure that they don't die in the night.  They could just suddenly die and someone has to monitor them.  Same thing with this HC. 

So, philosophically, I agree with you for some of the same reason that I believe marijuana should be legalized.  But I don't want to smoke marijuana and I don't want to watch the sport if that's what it's all about.  I rarely watch the NFL for the same reason:  the guys are all literally giving themselves brain damage.  It's just not fun to watch once you know that...

My two cents btw...

kcrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 02:45:38 am »
I think the biggest problem in cycling is they have the Grand Tours so damn difficult anymore that even the typical elite cyclist has to dope to compete.    They cover over 3000 kilometers over the course of 3 weeks or so, racing several hours a day, at a caloric expenditure rate of better than 1000 net calories burned per hour, pegging their heart rate at 200 bpm or more day after day, have a power output averaging over 300 watts with sustained peaks well over 400 watts...... They are asked to do what the human body really isn't capable of doing for extended periods of time and then we wonder why they are doping.   
Height: 6,1
Weight: 180
Total Testosterone: 829 ng/dl
Free Testosterone: 22 ng/dl
Current Meds:  Levothyroxine 175mcg, Testosterone Cyp Intra-Muscular 100 mg every 5 days.
Supplements-
Multivitamin
Magnesium
Vitamin D
B Complex
Fish Oil

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 02:53:58 am »
I think the biggest problem in cycling is they have the Grand Tours so damn difficult anymore that even the typical elite cyclist has to dope to compete.    They cover over 3000 kilometers over the course of 3 weeks or so, racing several hours a day, at a caloric expenditure rate of better than 1000 net calories burned per hour, pegging their heart rate at 200 bpm or more day after day, have a power output averaging over 300 watts with sustained peaks well over 400 watts...... They are asked to do what the human body really isn't capable of doing for extended periods of time and then we wonder why they are doping.

Wow.  That does seem insane...

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 02:53:58 am »