Quantcast

Author Topic: Mushrooms Probably Lowered My Estradiol But Switching to Anastrazole  (Read 23862 times)

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Mushrooms Probably Lowered My Estradiol But Switching to Anastrazole
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 04:21:27 pm »
I do think that if someone is borderline high, working mushrooms into your diet on a regular and intentional basis might be a good way to keep things a little lower, with the idea that if you don't get enough, you're not going super high anyway so not optimal but no big deal.   

For me it's just I'm way too high without something to bring it down, I'm not sure what other foods are or are not helping, and feeling like I have to cook, clean, and eat a couple pounds a week is just not practical.   Also, while I am attributing the difference to the mushrooms (and there are studies to support that conclusion) there is no definitive way of knowing that they were what was doing it.

Well, assume just for a minute that it was the dietary foods lowering your estradiol.  Broccoli, at least the amount in food, is not supposed to lower it at all according to what I have read but just shift the metabolite profile to a more positive one.  So I'm thinking it's got to be the mushrooms (again, assuming there was a true effect). 

So how many cups a night were you eating of these mushrooms?  Sounds like you were pretty casual about it?  If that's really all it is, it doesn't sound too bad, right?

Were you just eating the standard cooking mushrooms you but everywhere?  Or were these shitaki or portobello or something?

Oh I think it probably was the shrooms, just can't say for certain. 

Supposedly all types work to some extent, but in tests they have found that the most effective mushrooms against aromatase are white button mushrooms.   The cheap and easily available ones.  Portobellos and criminal (the small brown ones) are the exact same species as white buttons, so presumably their effect is comparable.

I was buying three pounds of brown "baby Bella" criminal mushrooms a week, cleaning and slicing them, and cooking them up in a little olive oil.   Over the course of the week I'd eat around 1/7 of that batch daily.   Added to salads or as a topping on sandwiches, or just as a snack. 

I'd also cook with mushrooms whenever possible.  In addition to the above. 

Not bad to do, mushrooms are tasty and super good for you in a lot of ways.  However, keeping that up is not practical.  Impossible when traveling.  Hard to prioritize the weekly cooking and cleaning when there are other things to do.   And honestly eating a bunch of mushrooms every single day really gets old. 

So I think they work, and probably are beneficial if you are just trying to nudge things down.  If I can drop that last 15 pounds of flab and cut back on the booze (I'm a very moderate drinker but could still do with less of that) maybe I might get E2 down to something like 40 or so, high but not disastrously so, and then just keep eating the mushrooms to nudge things down a bit.  That would be reasonable.  What it was taking to get my apparent ground state near 80 down to something tolerable was just ridiculous though.  Really cool that it worked, but not a practical solution for me.

Well, that would get a little old, but it might be a LOT safer than Arimidex.  Arimidex, at least from what I have read, messes with the clotting cascade.  Perhaps eating that many mushrooms does too, but I doubt it.

Also, I have actually not found any authority evidence that Arimidex does the above.  In fact, check this out:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11422000

Where I got that, though, is from this commentary:

http://www.excelmale.com/showthread.php?1507-Can-Testosterone-Induce-Blood-Clots-and-Thrombosis-Interview-with-Dr-Charles-Glueck&highlight=glueck

"Dr Glueck: We have data to show that when T is aromatized in the body to estradiol (E2), the high E2 may be the agent which directly interacts with the underlying thrombophilia to produce the clots. We do not have enough data to know whether Arimidex used to lower E2 would be protective, but we know that Arimidex alone is prothrombotic in all of the thrombophilias and hence, probably not a good idea."
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 04:28:32 pm by PeakT »
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Hydranted

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 05:15:11 pm »
That's an extremely aggressive dose of Adex.  While you may need it to help manage your E2, starting at such a high dose is likely going to end poorly.  This dose will essentially block all aromatization of testosterone to E2 when used with any reasonable dose of testosterone.  Men need estradiol for many important bodily functions, so eliminating it from the hormonal equation is going to be problematic.

It may take some time for symptoms to occur, but I would be absolutely shocked if this dose didn't cause some very uncomfortable side effects for you in the near future. 

A dose like this will also likely result in some pretty significant negative effects on your lipids.

I'd strongly urge you to rethink such an extreme addition to your protocol.

1/4 mg per day is extremely high?   My doc originally suggested 1 mg/ day, which definitely is high.  1/4 mg per day seems kind of middle of the road from what I've seen others using, especially given that I am very high without it. 

I do understand that going too low is a risk on any dose.  Test and correct means the possibility of overshooting and having to deal with a few lousy weeks potentially.

But actually that was why I was asking about how long before you reach the steady state E2 level for a given dose.   Right now I feel great, but I'm probably not to steady state yet.  I'm guessing that it's somewhere around 2.5-3 weeks in that stability is reached, and at that point I'll be able to judge.  But if anybody has better info than that guess, I'd appreciate it. 

I can't order self tests in my state, and The amount of testing that my doctor can order an insurance will cover is decent but limited. Since self-testing is not available in the state, if she orders any tests that are not covered by insurance, the lab charges are outrageous.   However, she is agreeable to my reducing the dose based on symptoms if I start to experience low e2 symptoms.  So, wondering when that might be. 

Thanks for the recommendations in any case.

Your original post stated that you would be taking .5mg every other day rather than .25mg every day.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 05:15:11 pm »

Regulus

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2015, 07:48:38 pm »
That's an extremely aggressive dose of Adex.  While you may need it to help manage your E2, starting at such a high dose is likely going to end poorly.  This dose will essentially block all aromatization of testosterone to E2 when used with any reasonable dose of testosterone.  Men need estradiol for many important bodily functions, so eliminating it from the hormonal equation is going to be problematic.

It may take some time for symptoms to occur, but I would be absolutely shocked if this dose didn't cause some very uncomfortable side effects for you in the near future. 

A dose like this will also likely result in some pretty significant negative effects on your lipids.

1/4 mg per day is extremely high?   My doc originally suggested 1 mg/ day, which definitely is high.  1/4 mg per day seems kind of middle of the road from what I've seen others using, especially given that I am very high without it. 

I do understand that going too low is a risk on any dose.  Test and correct means the possibility of overshooting and having to deal with a few lousy weeks potentially.

But actually that was why I was asking about how long before you reach the steady state E2 level for a given dose.   Right now I feel great, but I'm probably not to steady state yet.  I'm guessing that it's somewhere around 2.5-3 weeks in that stability is reached, and at that point I'll be able to judge.  But if anybody has better info than that guess, I'd appreciate it. 

I can't order self tests in my state, and The amount of testing that my doctor can order an insurance will cover is decent but limited. Since self-testing is not available in the state, if she orders any tests that are not covered by insurance, the lab charges are outrageous.   However, she is agreeable to my reducing the dose based on symptoms if I start to experience low e2 symptoms.  So, wondering when that might be. 

Your original post stated that you would be taking .5mg every other day rather than .25mg every day.

Yes that is correct.  .5 mg every other day equates to .25 mg per day.  Since the half life is somewhere in the 3-4 days range, I didn't think it would make much difference doing daily vs eod.  Am I missing something?
Late 40's, on TRT since 2011.
Test cyp 50 mg twice per week
Vegan and loving it since late 2015

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 08:47:23 pm »

Yes that is correct.  .5 mg every other day equates to .25 mg per day.  Since the half life is somewhere in the 3-4 days range, I didn't think it would make much difference doing daily vs eod.  Am I missing something?

fyi:

At my old clinic, they started me on .5 mg twice a week - and this was after running labs of course.  I crashed my estradiol once by doing it EOD.  Their rule was every three days and never every two days.  Just passing along info...
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 08:47:23 pm »

Regulus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 10:15:06 pm »

fyi:

At my old clinic, they started me on .5 mg twice a week - and this was after running labs of course.  I crashed my estradiol once by doing it EOD.  Their rule was every three days and never every two days.  Just passing along info...

Thanks.

surfdog

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2015, 11:49:36 am »

fyi:

how would this be squared with an E0D dosing then? Doctor John like to start guys taking in on their dosing days, according to his own posts.

Any guys out there taking Arimidex on a E0D schedule? What do you do for it? My last E2 reading was 72, though I'm only taking 100mg a week sub q cyp E0D and no hcg. I have low (17) SHBG.

Sorry to derail the thread but 'never every two days' for an AI is something I haven't heard yet. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 11:51:50 am by surfdog »

Hydranted

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2015, 12:39:41 pm »

You're correct, it is roughly the same thing.  I was just looking for clarification.

It's still a very high dose of Adex.  There are many guys on steroid cycles using far less.  It's your body and I'm not here to tell you that there's only one way to do things, but it appears to be quite the knee-jerk reaction in terms of dosing.

I just don't understand the logic behind starting out on such a high dose. 

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2015, 03:13:55 pm »

how would this be squared with an E0D dosing then? Doctor John like to start guys taking in on their dosing days, according to his own posts.

Any guys out there taking Arimidex on a E0D schedule? What do you do for it? My last E2 reading was 72, though I'm only taking 100mg a week sub q cyp E0D and no hcg. I have low (17) SHBG.

Sorry to derail the thread but 'never every two days' for an AI is something I haven't heard yet.

Yes, I should have been more clear.  At my old clinic I was weekly IM cypionate and they started me on a pretty beefy dose. 

So, yes, I am sure you could split it up into smaller dosages and quite a few guys on here have done it.  Type in Liquid Arimidex into the search and you'll see there are low dose compounded preparations that you can get even.

But let's get practical here:  the anastrazole comes in a 1 mg tab and it's very easy to split into 2 and possibly 4 parts with a pill splitter.  But how are you going to split it very accurately into 3 parts?  You're gonna have to be a professional jewel cutter for that one. 

Again, my real point is a) don't take too much in too short of a window and b) be careful with the right test and regular monitoring.  Bone loss is very serious and potentially it could lead to neurological or cardiovascular issues if you go too low for an extended period of time.

Regulus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2015, 06:49:57 pm »

You're correct, it is roughly the same thing.  I was just looking for clarification.

It's still a very high dose of Adex.  There are many guys on steroid cycles using far less.  It's your body and I'm not here to tell you that there's only one way to do things, but it appears to be quite the knee-jerk reaction in terms of dosing.

Ok Hydranted, thanks.  We will see how it goes.  I'm not sure I agree that it's all that high, and my doc doesn't either, but you certainly may be right.  If it turns out to be too much, I'll be in for a lousy few weeks but that too shall pass, and I'll invite you to hit me with a huge "told you so".  :-)  Thanks for the input in any case. 

surfdog

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2015, 02:29:49 am »
Thanks, PeakT. Yeah, I'm still on the fence as to begin with it or not. I'm going down to 88mg a week to see if that will drop the E2 in range.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2015, 06:07:13 am »
Thanks, PeakT. Yeah, I'm still on the fence as to begin with it or not. I'm going down to 88mg a week to see if that will drop the E2 in range.

Noted.  Let us know how much it drops it if you have time.

surfdog

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2015, 06:12:48 am »

I'm bit more active on Excelmale and I posted this over there (below). I just got the test results back.

"I just got my test results back and I'm:

TT - 792
E2 - 54
SHBG - 17

No HCG or anything else for the last month.

My last reading, a month ago was 72. I think it dropped because of the lack of HCG, but it's not back in range. My baselines were 26 before TRT and 31 after 6 weeks. These are non-sensitive assays as that's all I have access to. I want to get back to that 26 number. My libido and erections were better before this ballooning E2. Yes, I'm stronger than ever and have tons of energy, but my sex life is worse. I want this energy with my old sex life .

This is my highest TT reading ever so I'm bummed. I wanted to avoid using an AI but I don't think I can have T over 700 and normal E2 levels without it.

To those guys that use small doses or AIs, have they impacted your lipid profiles negatively? How much will .50mg a week drop E2 if the reading is 50-60?

I should add that I'm 38, 6'4", 192, lean, muscular, in excellent cardio condition and can lift heavy. I eat clean (tons of cabbage, broccoli, spinach, etc), take DIM, and still have high E2. So I don't know if I can do much more on the lifestyle side of things to address it. I sleep pretty good too.

Perhaps the best thing to do would be raise SHBG but I'm not sure how to do that outside of lifestyle changes, which I'm already practicing."

Also I'll add here - while my FBS is a bit high it's not pre-diabetic and my liver checks out fine.

So I don't know. I think I might try .25mg 2x a week and see how it goes. I'm not sure how else to drop this E2 without dropping the T so low I'll lose the benefits of having a good TT number.

I should add that I have nearly every symptom listed on this page for high E2: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/HRT_Estradiol_Men

Any advice or feedback is appreciated.

surfdog

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2015, 11:48:10 am »

Hydranted, if you feel .5 EOD is too much. What would you feel is a better start? .25 mg EOD? I'm thinking .15 mg EOD but not sure how to make the pills like that haha. Might have to compound them or just try .25 EOD and see how it goes.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2015, 04:34:57 pm »

I'm bit more active on Excelmale and I posted this over there (below). I just got the test results back.

"I just got my test results back and I'm:

TT - 792
E2 - 54
SHBG - 17

No HCG or anything else for the last month.

My last reading, a month ago was 72. I think it dropped because of the lack of HCG, but it's not back in range. My baselines were 26 before TRT and 31 after 6 weeks. These are non-sensitive assays as that's all I have access to. I want to get back to that 26 number. My libido and erections were better before this ballooning E2. Yes, I'm stronger than ever and have tons of energy, but my sex life is worse. I want this energy with my old sex life .

This is my highest TT reading ever so I'm bummed. I wanted to avoid using an AI but I don't think I can have T over 700 and normal E2 levels without it.

To those guys that use small doses or AIs, have they impacted your lipid profiles negatively? How much will .50mg a week drop E2 if the reading is 50-60?

I should add that I'm 38, 6'4", 192, lean, muscular, in excellent cardio condition and can lift heavy. I eat clean (tons of cabbage, broccoli, spinach, etc), take DIM, and still have high E2. So I don't know if I can do much more on the lifestyle side of things to address it. I sleep pretty good too.

Perhaps the best thing to do would be raise SHBG but I'm not sure how to do that outside of lifestyle changes, which I'm already practicing."

Also I'll add here - while my FBS is a bit high it's not pre-diabetic and my liver checks out fine.

So I don't know. I think I might try .25mg 2x a week and see how it goes. I'm not sure how else to drop this E2 without dropping the T so low I'll lose the benefits of having a good TT number.

I should add that I have nearly every symptom listed on this page for high E2: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/HRT_Estradiol_Men

Any advice or feedback is appreciated.

Hey, you're doing all the right things and have acted responsibly.  Some guys are just high converters.  Try to understand why certain enzymes get upgraded and downgraded is really involved and I doubt it will lead anywhere, so taking Arimidex is a consistent and easy way out. 

My initial goal was to use as little of Arimidex as possible.  If you can get the dosage down to .25 twice a week - .5 a week obviously - that is really a very low dose.  As you probably know, the cancer and medical condition type dose is 1 mg per day and this is when the sides start hitting. 

Now, if I was in that situation, I'd probably try Regulus' mushroom solution.  It seems like there might be something to it and so I'd probably try that first.  It's just one guy's story, but then Regulus is a numbers guy and has been around the block, so my gut feel is that it might do the trick...

Hydranted

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2015, 08:29:57 am »
Surfdog, if you're going to try Adex my recommendation is almosfalways going to be to start with a low dose and only move up if needed.  This is partially because it's very important to avoid crashing your estradiol, but also because we don't know how you'll respond to the medication yet.  Sometimes people experience side effects even on low doses.

What is your injection dose and frequency?

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2015, 08:29:57 am »