Quantcast

Author Topic: What about the patch?  (Read 4609 times)

henngiss

• View Profile
What about the patch?
« on: December 05, 2012, 01:08:55 pm »
I have been having a bad week on clomid.  I am still getting very tired in the evening and going to bed early.  My symptoms have been worse in general this week and I am thinking about my Urologist appointment on Friday.  I am starting to wonder if the patch would be better for me, or some other TRT method.  I don't want more kids so I don't need clomid for that, and there appears to be more health risk in taking clomid.  The patch seems to be safe and easy.  Just stick it on and go, no mess, no risk of getting T on the wife or kids, no needles.  I want to use something effective though, and the patch doesn't seem to be used that much.  I wonder why?  I would have to pay more for the patch, $40/month instead of $20/month.  That is cheap if it works better though.  Injections would be only $10/month but I shudder at the thought.  I would do it to feel better though, gladly.  I'm hoping this is just a temporary setback.  The timing may be good though, if I am starting to question clomid I may be more open to alternatives the Urologist might suggest.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: What about the patch?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 02:36:09 pm »
The patch can be a good method, but you're right:  it's not used much from what I've seen.  I've had a couple guys write in or get on the forum with their testosterone boosted pretty nicely from the patch.  The only complaint that I hear and read about is skin irritation, so that may be why it's not used more.  Here in the U.S. I think it's more that there are two kinds of doctors:

1.  Docs who don't know very little about HRT except what they've learned in a couple of seminars sponsored by the topical companies.  They will put their patients, usually reluctantly, on Androgel or maybe Testim.  A few doctors will go with the old school every-two-week injection protocol.

2.  Urologists who have read about HRT and are actually enthusiastic about boosting testosterone.  The urologists will usually go with pellets if possible, because, I suspect, there are some nice fees in there.  And some patients like it because it's once every 3-4 months. 

3.  Docs who are well-read on HRT and REALLY understand everything beyond what they've learned in a seminar.  These physicians usually go with weekly injections.  Why?  Because the testosterone is much more levelled with less ups and downs and hills and valleys; they have better control; they can boost testosterone a little above 700/800 if they want to.

Now I can't really advise you whether or not to go on HRT and which form to use, but that's kind of a quick summary as I see it and some points to discuss with your physician(s).  All three of the above will get your testosterone up there if the doc does it right.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 02:28:22 pm by PeakT »
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 02:36:09 pm »

henngiss

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 12:05:02 pm »
Thanks,

It does seem that possible skin irritation may be the main drawback of the androderm patch.  According to reviews at drugs.com, injections get the highest scores, followed by androderm, with androgel at the bottom.  The ratings are all high though at 8.9, 8.3 and 7.6 respectively.  I used the nicotine patch to quit smoking years ago.  It did cause some irritation, but was tolerable for me.  If the T patch is similar in this regard, I think it may work well for me. Anyhow, I now have more information to use when discussing this with the doctor.

adam1973

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 08:06:54 pm »
I would be okay with test injections however I do not want to have to go to my doctors office to get the shots. If he wants me on shots fine give me the prescription and Ill do it.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 08:06:54 pm »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 08:16:24 pm »
I would be okay with test injections however I do not want to have to go to my doctors office to get the shots. If he wants me on shots fine give me the prescription and Ill do it.

The injection volume is fairly big with cypionate, so some doctor's offices don't want you to do it yourself...
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 08:16:24 pm »