Quantcast

Author Topic: 45.4ng/dL reading?? Can this be possible??  (Read 8876 times)

nw2lwT

• View Profile
45.4ng/dL reading?? Can this be possible??
« on: December 20, 2012, 10:34:54 pm »
I've been on Axiron for about 6 months.  Haven't liked my results with it so far.  Had an insurance change and had to get all new doctors.  New GP seems willing to work with me on low T issues but referred me to a new urologist all the same.  He also ordered new blood work but wanted me off Axiron because he wanted to see for himself where my T level was/is.

Went off Axiron for four days prior to test.  I took test at 7:30am thinking this was the best time to take it.

Results came back with a T level of 45.4 ng/dL on a 249.0-836.0 scale.  I expected low but wow!!!  Vitamin D also low at 25.8 on a 30-100ng/mL scale.

Doctor's nurse called me in a panic telling me he wants me on T injections ASAP and said something about 200mg injections every two weeks.  Also, a weekly Vitamin D supp of 50,000 IU.  I was kinda in a fog at the time so I'm not sure I have what was said straight in my dull brain.  She said urologist will give me the T injections but I can't get in to see him until Dec 26, 2012.  Doctor said double and triple my Axiron doses until then. 

I've been reading on this site about smaller T injection doses a couple times a week which seems logical to me.  I also saw Dr. Crisler's video on subcutaneous injections being more effective.

Any other feedback or questions I could ask urologist???????

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: 45.4ng/dL reading?? Can this be possible??
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 01:31:04 am »
Weekly is much better if you're talking about the standard cypionate, which I'm sure you are.  It has about a 5 day half life so you'll be very hypogonadal about 4 or 5 days, so discuss that with your doc.  They basically on a 2 week cycle will push you way high and then you're completely out of juice after about 8-10 days.  We have received many complaints on the board from guys on two week cycles just for this reason.

Again, talk with your doc but most everyone prefers weekly from what I've seen.

Btw, another advantage to weekly or 2X/week is that they can greatly limit the spike which means your estradiol will not spike as much which means they don't have to put you on Arimidex, etc.

And, no, I don't remember anyone with a reading that low, but I do remember a guy with a reading in the 60's.  Once you get below 100, I'm not sure how accurate those are anyway - depends on the test they used.
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 01:31:04 am »

Bernie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 02:42:28 am »
nw2lwT I have been on Testosterone cypionate injections(IM) for almost 8 weeks now. I take two shots per week and have really had tremendous succes with it. Use 2 different needles one to draw with(18guage) and one to inject with(25 guage) no pain! I have no tolerance for pain!

Best of luck to you in this journey.

Quincy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 04:11:14 pm »
And, no, I don't remember anyone with a reading that low, but I do remember a guy with a reading in the 60's.  Once you get below 100, I'm not sure how accurate those are anyway - depends on the test they used.

Hey Peak, I still hold the record,, 44,, if that is anything to brag about!  ;)
56yo, Pre  T level 239
Previous dosage 180mg T.cypionate weekly BW @ 1056 on 7th day of cycle
Previous dosage 100mg T.cypionate weekly BW @   414 on 7th day of cycle

Current dosage  140mg T.cypionate weekly

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 04:11:14 pm »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 04:41:12 pm »

Hey Peak, I still hold the record,, 44,, if that is anything to brag about!  ;)

Okay, excuse me!  I forgot about ya, Quincy.

Those #s are incredible.  Seriously, your wives or girlfriends probably had more testosterone that you guys.  That's fugly...

So how ya' doing now though?  You might give a brief summary?
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Quincy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 07:55:49 pm »
I'm doing a lot better on weekly shots. I'll update my thread soon.

To the OP, I went through the same thing. Had natural production around 240, got on Androgel and it sunk to 44. Wasted a lot of time trying more gel, then a 10% compounded cream to no avail. Finally started T cypionate shots on Sept 4th. Feel a lot better!

If I was you and the shots make a difference in how you feel, get them to switch you to weekly ASAP. There is no point in doing 2 week shots, as Peak has pointed out, it just doesn't last that long and you will feel like crap during the second week. They can show you how to self inject.

Ideally you should get blood work after a month or two to see where your levels are. Have them check your E2 also. Phase two is dialing in the right weekly dosage that gives you good levels of T AND makes you feel the best. You may have to experiment a while changing dosage and getting blood work before you figure out the right amount. Typically it will be anywhere from 100mg to 200mg per week.

Keep us posted how you are progressing.
56yo, Pre  T level 239
Previous dosage 180mg T.cypionate weekly BW @ 1056 on 7th day of cycle
Previous dosage 100mg T.cypionate weekly BW @   414 on 7th day of cycle

Current dosage  140mg T.cypionate weekly

nw2lwT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 10:56:18 pm »
Thanks for the feedback!

I'll keep you guys posted.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 06:07:36 pm »
Sounds good...

nw2lwT

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 08:22:15 am »
Well, the new urologist was a joke.  Did not have the injection as I was told and referred me back to my GP because he(urologist) only prescribes gels. 

I made a new appointment with GP who prescribed 1mg injection of depo cypionate 200mg every two weeks.  I was to fill prescription and bring it to appointment on 1/3/13 so I could be shown how to give injections.

I couldn't get local Walgreen's to fill prescription because my HMO (Blue Cross/Blue Shield of IL) would not approve the prescription without "pre-authorization" from my doctor.  I finally had to convince Walgreen's to fill prescription and I would pay out of pocket ($25.00 only) and told them I would deal with insurance on my own.

Saw GP who said he sent all necessary paperwork to insurance for pre-auth and he had no idea why they wouldn't pay for injection.  I asked GP if I could split dose and inject once a week.  He told me no.  He wanted to see how 2 weeks went first and ordered blood tests for two months.  He said the goal was to get me in the 200's.  When I told him the 200's is to low, he dismissed me and said, "Let's just see how this goes first."  He gave me the injection in my left shoulder with a 23 gauge needle.  I felt no different.  I'm due for next injection on 1/17.  We'll see how it goes.

Was just informed that insurance has denied my claim for injections.  At this point it's not the money, it's the principle.  One person said it was denied because my levels were not low enough. Haha!!!  You've gotta be kindding me!!!  When I said my T was 45, I was transferred to someone else who said I was denied because I have to try other methods first and she named Axiron, Androgel and Testim.  I asked if the insurance company would rather pay $300+ a month instead of $50.00 a month.  Boy that confused her and I never got a straight answer. 

At this point, I am willing to pay out of pocket for the injections.

Boy, I'm frustrated! >:(

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 04:29:45 pm »
Wow.  Unbelieveable stories.  Well, two weeks is definitely old school btw.  Have you read about that?  Basically the last four days or so your T will be back down hypogonadal and you'll likely be very high for days 3, 4, 5, etc.

I've just got a sec, but read the bottom of this when you have a sec and possibly discuss with your doc as there are some application tips that might help a bit w/ topical absorbption:

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Testosterone_Androgel

Compounding is also pretty cheap.

nw2lwT

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 09:17:44 pm »
Thanks for the reply Peak.

Yes I've read up on 2 week injections being old school but Doctor wants to try it first.  Of course I will try to discuss it further with him but would I want to break the dose to .5 ml per week or even smaller doses 2/3 times per week?  BTW, injections don't bother me at all.  Also, yes I read that article on Androgel last night.  At this point, if I am made to take an Androgel type product, I think I will push for a compound cream, but I'm really not sure this doctor will buy into it.  I'm pretty sure my limited knowledge on this subject exceeds his unfortunately. 

When you get some time, I'd like your thoughts on him prescribing me D2 instead of D3.

Thanks again.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 09:54:12 pm »
Thanks for the reply Peak.

Yes I've read up on 2 week injections being old school but Doctor wants to try it first.  Of course I will try to discuss it further with him but would I want to break the dose to .5 ml per week or even smaller doses 2/3 times per week?  BTW, injections don't bother me at all.  Also, yes I read that article on Androgel last night.  At this point, if I am made to take an Androgel type product, I think I will push for a compound cream, but I'm really not sure this doctor will buy into it.  I'm pretty sure my limited knowledge on this subject exceeds his unfortunately. 

When you get some time, I'd like your thoughts on him prescribing me D2 instead of D3.

Thanks again.

Compounding may not be that much of a stretch for him.  He probably works w/ a compounding pharmacy already for other types of medications.  All he has to do is give them a call and find out how they handle these situations or talk to a colleague.

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Compounding_Testosterone

Everyone I've read recommends D3.  D2 is sold school and has issues as far as I know.  Let me know if you find out if he is prescribing D2 out of ignormance or if he has some int'g reason for it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 10:02:33 pm by PeakT »

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 09:54:12 pm »