Quantcast

Author Topic: Maca Greatly Lowered Estradiol and Gave Hypothyroid Symptoms  (Read 6593 times)

SumTingWong

• View Profile
Maca Greatly Lowered Estradiol and Gave Hypothyroid Symptoms
« on: December 02, 2015, 05:18:43 pm »
[MODERATOR SPLIT FROM HERE: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/forum/index.php?topic=310.0.  Be sure to read this thread as well.]

I've been playing around with raw Black Maca for a few months now, and doing some blood testing as well.

Initially I get a boost in libido and mood, but after a few weeks on Maca, my LH approximately doubles, FSH decreases slightly, my total testosterone decreases by about 15%, and my estradiol decreases by over 60%.

All the hormones remain in range except for estradiol which is down to < 40 in the last blood test. The reference range is 102 - 196.

I've checked this twice now, and both times the same pattern occurs with the blood results.

Something else is that after a few weeks on Maca, I get a feeling of a lump in my throat and a slight tenderness there. I had my TSH checked and it was 2.0, but I still suspect Maca may be interfering with my thyroid function. I can't say for sure without testing T3 and T4.
Could thyroid problems cause a drop in testosterone and increase in LH?

It's worth noting that raw Black Maca contains both iodine and glucosinolates.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 02:07:43 am by PeakT »
I am not medically trained or qualified. This is not medical advice.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Maca Greatly Lowered Estradiol and Gave Hypothyroid Symptoms
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 09:11:43 pm »
I've been playing around with raw Black Maca for a few months now, and doing some blood testing as well.

Initially I get a boost in libido and mood, but after a few weeks on Maca, my LH approximately doubles, FSH decreases slightly, my total testosterone decreases by about 15%, and my estradiol decreases by over 60%.

All the hormones remain in range except for estradiol which is down to < 40 in the last blood test. The reference range is 102 - 196.

I've checked this twice now, and both times the same pattern occurs with the blood results.

Something else is that after a few weeks on Maca, I get a feeling of a lump in my throat and a slight tenderness there. I had my TSH checked and it was 2.0, but I still suspect Maca may be interfering with my thyroid function. I can't say for sure without testing T3 and T4.

Super interesting.  This may explain why some guys just don't do well with Maca.  Of course, how much different is black from the other?  I'm not sure the other lowers estradiol like that - I think the studies at least do not indicate that.
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 09:11:43 pm »

croaker24

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 10:44:51 pm »

Super interesting.  This may explain why some guys just don't do well with Maca.  Of course, how much different is black from the other?  I'm not sure the other lowers estradiol like that - I think the studies at least do not indicate that.

That is two people here (including EH) mentioning thyroid and Maca.   

electrify

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 02:26:37 am »
Goes to show how you have to be careful even with  certain "herbal" supplements.

Like querectin--gotta be careful with that as it can bring down DHT. Im lucky I wasnt using it long and that is not as potent as saw palmetto....

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 02:26:37 am »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 03:55:07 pm »
Goes to show how you have to be careful even with  certain "herbal" supplements.

Like querectin--gotta be careful with that as it can bring down DHT. Im lucky I wasnt using it long and that is not as potent as saw palmetto....

Quercetin is incredible.  Don't know if you saw the latest LEF issue, but it apparently kills off senescent cells.  Right now, other than a toxic drug, it is the only substance known to do that from what I understand.

Also, I have read that it can slow down the thyroid a little but haven't confirmed that.  So it might be a good one to cycle?
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

SumTingWong

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 04:06:28 pm »
I'm not sure the other lowers estradiol like that - I think the studies at least do not indicate that.

The estradiol change is a curious one.

I did some reading into this last night, and there are a lot of references to non-gelatinized (raw) Maca being goitrogenic, because it contains glucosinolates and isothyocyanates. Apparently, the Peruvians always eat it cooked which mitigates that problem.

If someone were to try Maca, then the gelatinized version would be the way to go.

I notice one of the maca studies was done on gelatinized. The others I read dont specify.
I am not medically trained or qualified. This is not medical advice.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 07:29:00 pm »
I'm not sure the other lowers estradiol like that - I think the studies at least do not indicate that.

The estradiol change is a curious one.

I did some reading into this last night, and there are a lot of references to non-gelatinized (raw) Maca being goitrogenic, because it contains glucosinolates and isothyocyanates. Apparently, the Peruvians always eat it cooked which mitigates that problem.

If someone were to try Maca, then the gelatinized version would be the way to go.

I notice one of the maca studies was done on gelatinized. The others I read dont specify.

Thx suntingwong.  Will check on that and add a comment into my page.

electrify

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 09:04:40 pm »

Quercetin is incredible.  Don't know if you saw the latest LEF issue, but it apparently kills off senescent cells.  Right now, other than a toxic drug, it is the only substance known to do that from what I understand.

Also, I have read that it can slow down the thyroid a little but haven't confirmed that.  So it might be a good one to cycle?

Not sure--id personally prefer to stay away from anything DHT decreasing especially with my body which is sensitive to hormones/NTs.

Remember--LEF also has good things they say about Saw Palmetto. But there is a huge risk with Saw Palmetto of inducing horror PFS.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 02:12:56 am »

Not sure--id personally prefer to stay away from anything DHT decreasing especially with my body which is sensitive to hormones/NTs.

Remember--LEF also has good things they say about Saw Palmetto. But there is a huge risk with Saw Palmetto of inducing horror PFS.

Well, sure you're a young pup.  You need to worry as much about senescent cells as you do about getting hit by a meteorite!  Yeah, let us old guys worry about that stuff.

If I do a round of quercetin, I'll have to try to remember to measure DHT before and during.

electrify

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 02:54:19 am »

Well, sure you're a young pup.  You need to worry as much about senescent cells as you do about getting hit by a meteorite!  Yeah, let us old guys worry about that stuff.

If I do a round of quercetin, I'll have to try to remember to measure DHT before and during.

Well a doc had recommended it to me cause it is an anti-inflammatory (which can help with hpa problems) thats why. It does more than just the senescent cell stuff haha.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 05:36:07 am »

Well a doc had recommended it to me cause it is an anti-inflammatory (which can help with hpa problems) thats why. It does more than just the senescent cell stuff haha.

Sure.  It inhbits one of the COX enzymes - I took it for prostatitis if you'll recall...

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 05:36:07 am »