Quantcast

Author Topic: Questions about my testosterone levels  (Read 5333 times)

C.Rock

• View Profile
Questions about my testosterone levels
« on: December 15, 2015, 04:50:59 am »
I've been researching and lurking around different forums for months trying to get an understanding of all of this stuff but hoping I can get some feedback. I'm sorry if this is too long of a story.

In my mid 20s I began doing weight lifting/bodybuilding type training but in an unhealthy way. Bulked too much and started having major digestive issues and anxiety issues.
Long story short, I was scared into cleaning up my diet and lost extra fat after finding out I was on my way to being diabetic. Diagnosed as "pre diabetic " I then worked hard to say lean and live a healthy life.
All my symptoms improved except my sex drive started to get lower and lower after age 27.( I'm 30 now).

At 27 I did some labs, one being total T. It came back as 490ng/dl.

I thought ok fine, normal range, not exactly high but maybe I could boost it with diet, supplements and exercise.
After two more years of various supplements I realized that although my energy levels are decent, my motivation for life was way down compared to before. I have this "dullness" feeling towards everything. Not depressed, not happy, just dull and apathetic. Nothing is no longer exciting.

I used to love to read book after book on stuff that interests me and now I can't even concentrate or think clearly as I used to. My sex drive isn't so great. I can still get the job done, but I don't look forward  to it like I used to in my early 20s. It's almost like work now. My social anxiety at work got a little worse too. I try to avoid people that I don't know too well, especially the opposite sex. I get too nervous. I wasn't this bad before.

So I decided to go to a local anti aging clinic, they tested my testoserone and my TT was 438 and free T 8.53 I believe. I was disappointed that all my efforts only led to an even lower number.

This place is pretty liberal in giving out testoserone injections and said I was barely low enough to be treated. After doing more research, I got nervous and decided not go through with the TRT due to being too young and afraid of side effects..

So I began researching more supplements and trying to up my T naturally. I continued to feel like crap for the most part, until one day after a good weight lifting session I suddenly felt slightly better. My libido returned some, I felt less anxious , more clear thinking, just better mood all around. I thought maybe my testoserone  shot up some? The next day I got re tested and sure enough my number came back to around 520 ng/dl. However that feeling lasted only a few days. 

So my real questions are: could it be that going from the 400s to the 500s be THAT big a difference?

I've seen charts on different websites that say someone in the 400s has the levels of an average 70 or 80 year old? Should that concern me?

I've also read that head injuries could lead to lower T levels? I had hit my head hard about three years ago close to around the time that I noticed my sex drive start to fade away.

Also, not all the low T symptoms fit my situation. I don't feel weak in the gym, I gain strength and progress decently. My ability to put on muscle mass is partically genetic as I've always been that way. And of course, my testoserone isn't super low, just not optimal, would that be right?

Kierkegaard

• Hormone Shrink
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about my testosterone levels
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 04:55:05 am »
I've been researching and lurking around different forums for months trying to get an understanding of all of this stuff but hoping I can get some feedback. I'm sorry if this is too long of a story.

In my mid 20s I began doing weight lifting/bodybuilding type training but in an unhealthy way. Bulked too much and started having major digestive issues and anxiety issues.
Long story short, I was scared into cleaning up my diet and lost extra fat after finding out I was on my way to being diabetic. Diagnosed as "pre diabetic " I then worked hard to say lean and live a healthy life.
All my symptoms improved except my sex drive started to get lower and lower after age 27.( I'm 30 now).

I thought ok fine, normal range, not exactly high but maybe I could boost it with diet, supplements and exercise.
After two more years of various supplements I realized that although my energy levels are decent, my motivation for life was way down compared to before. I have this "dullness" feeling towards everything. Not depressed, not happy, just dull and apathetic. Nothing is no longer exciting.

I used to love to read book after book on stuff that interests me and now I can't even concentrate or think clearly as I used to. My sex drive isn't so great. I can still get the job done, but I don't look forward  to it like I used to in my early 20s. It's almost like work now. My social anxiety at work got a little worse too. I try to avoid people that I don't know too well, especially the opposite sex. I get too nervous. I wasn't this bad before.

So I decided to go to a local anti aging clinic, they tested my testoserone and my TT was 438 and free T 8.53 I believe. I was disappointed that all my efforts only led to an even lower number.

This place is pretty liberal in giving out testoserone injections and said I was barely low enough to be treated. After doing more research, I got nervous and decided not go through with the TRT due to being too young and afraid of side effects..

So I began researching more supplements and trying to up my T naturally. I continued to feel like crap for the most part, until one day after a good weight lifting session I suddenly felt slightly better. My libido returned some, I felt less anxious , more clear thinking, just better mood all around. I thought maybe my testoserone  shot up some? The next day I got re tested and sure enough my number came back to around 520 ng/dl. However that feeling lasted only a few days. 

So my real questions are: could it be that going from the 400s to the 500s be THAT big a difference?

I've seen charts on different websites that say someone in the 400s has the levels of an average 70 or 80 year old? Should that concern me?

I've also read that head injuries could lead to lower T levels? I had hit my head hard about three years ago close to around the time that I noticed my sex drive start to fade away.

Also, not all the low T symptoms fit my situation. I don't feel weak in the gym, I gain strength and progress decently. My ability to put on muscle mass is partically genetic as I've always been that way. And of course, my testoserone isn't super low, just not optimal, would that be right?

A 100 point leap could be enough to explain your symptoms, but you should rule out any other hormonal or biological (and nutritional, stress-related) problems that could be lowering your T at certain points.  The most immediate thing I think of is cortisol, which when high for long periods of time can clearly lower testosterone and kill some of the effectiveness of thyroid, and other hormones undoubtedly.  How's your stress?  Stress can also be part of an inflammatory diet, for example, so are you getting enough Omega-3s while limiting Omega-6s?  Any unknown infections? 
"The same thing that makes you live can kill you in the end." -- Neil Young

March 2014: Dx low T (158ng/dl)
September 2015: Dx hypothyroidism, other adrenal hypofunction
2016: chronic fatigue, unspecified

Depression and anxiety guide: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Help_Anxiety_Depression

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 04:55:05 am »

C.Rock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 05:03:22 am »

A 100 point leap could be enough to explain your symptoms, but you should rule out any other hormonal or biological (and nutritional, stress-related) problems that could be lowering your T at certain points.  The most immediate thing I think of is cortisol, which when high for long periods of time can clearly lower testosterone and kill some of the effectiveness of thyroid, and other hormones undoubtedly.  How's your stress?  Stress can also be part of an inflammatory diet, for example, so are you getting enough Omega-3s while limiting Omega-6s?  Any unknown infections?

Yes. I didn't mention this due to not wanting to make the post too long.

But stress is a huge problem in my life and although I never had cortisol tested, I always suspected that to me an issue.

I take a supplement, phosphatidylserine because i had read somewhere that it could help with that. I do notice a slight benefit when I take it, but nothing major.

Most of the life stresses are sometimes out of my control I think at this point.

I do eat omega 3s, mostly from the canned sardines that are supposed to have about two grams of omega 3 per can. I do try to limit omega 6.
I had cleaned up my diet for the most part after I had my digestive problems three years ago.

electrify

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 05:07:09 am »
400 natural to 500 natural can make a huge difference for me. I thought I was the only one out there where this happens.

I can vouch for this MULTIPLE times it has happened to me. At 400 im an anxious wreck and very negative. Also have ED. AND I get the EXACT same social inadequacy/awkwardness going on. I have to fake a lot of conversations at that level. Lots of stress intolerance as well and at the beginning of school in September I was getting such intense anxiety that I was afraid of withdrawing. I blame the Testosterone drop from 520-->415 on trying an elimination diet for suspected food intolerances but I cannot be completely sure if this was it.

It didn't work and school was starting and I needed a quick way out. That is when my dr prescribed TRT. But In the span of 14 days my T rebounded naturally to 500. Decided to go through with the T anyways but now thats getting off topic...

At 500 the anxiety became mild and ED is occasional only though my symptoms of low motivation+low libido don't resolve. As in im not recovered but its a lot more manageable.

I also noticed this exact same pattern when I came off Clomid in May my T had dipped into low 400s and then randomly in 2 weeks went all the way up to 520! That was the first time I crossed the 500 mark and felt that things were finally improving. Sadly I've been stuck in this high 400s/low 500s natural crap since May. I got no improvement of T in the summer and instead got the drop just before school started....

My hope is that maybe if I do Clomid again I might get this same delayed "boost" in T from 520 onto a higher level.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 05:10:57 am by electrify »

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 05:07:09 am »

Kierkegaard

• Hormone Shrink
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 05:07:50 am »

But stress is a huge problem in my life and although I never had cortisol tested, I always suspected that to me an issue.

I take a supplement, phosphatidylserine because i had read somewhere that it could help with that. I do notice a slight benefit when I take it, but nothing major.

Most of the life stresses are sometimes out of my control I think at this point.

I do eat omega 3s, mostly from the canned sardines that are supposed to have about two grams of omega 3 per can. I do try to limit omega 6.
I had cleaned up my diet for the most part after I had my digestive problems three years ago.

Interesting.  Do you get a sense that when you experience a stress trigger that your stress response is disproportionate to the trigger?

And the high stress could be enough to lower your T 100-200 points; even at your 500s for total T (assuming you're not in your early 20s) that can be just fine as a number, especially if your free T is around 12 or so.  Phosphatidylserine: people usually take too low a dose of that.  I'd recommend considering a good set of adaptogens, such as Gaia's Adrenal Health supplement, which contains rhodiola and ashwagandha.  I'd also highly recommend mindfulness meditation practice to learn how to take your stressors with less weight, leading to less of a stress response. 

Depression and anxiety guide: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Help_Anxiety_Depression

electrify

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 05:16:29 am »
@Kierkegaard

Regarding the high stress---I've actually been wondering if this is what was preventing my T from recovering to 600+ in college in a "vicious cycle" where I am not able to do as well in school from the issue and the stress from that itself prevents the T from shooting back up..

Kierkegaard

• Hormone Shrink
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 05:21:12 am »
@Kierkegaard

Regarding the high stress---I've actually been wondering if this is what was preventing my T from recovering to 600+ in college in a "vicious cycle" where I am not able to do as well in school from the issue and the stress from that itself prevents the T from shooting back up..

Yes, I think being stressed about your illness could very easily contribute to the illness, especially if as seems to be the case you have some type of adrenal thing going on.  Even if not, stress --> low T --> stress over low T --> more stress --> etc. is a bad formula to get caught in. 

You know what works magically well for this type of circular causality, vicious cycle shit?  Mindfulness meditation, where you foster a spirit of acceptance, therefore: stress --> accept stress --> lower T --> stress less over low T (even if it doesn't go down) --> less stress --> less inhibited T. 

C.Rock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 05:22:51 am »

Interesting.  Do you get a sense that when you experience a stress trigger that your stress response is disproportionate to the trigger?

And the high stress could be enough to lower your T 100-200 points; even at your 500s for total T (assuming you're not in your early 20s) that can be just fine as a number, especially if your free T is around 12 or so.  Phosphatidylserine: people usually take too low a dose of that.  I'd recommend considering a good set of adaptogens, such as Gaia's Adrenal Health supplement, which contains rhodiola and ashwagandha.  I'd also highly recommend mindfulness meditation practice to learn how to take your stressors with less weight, leading to less of a stress response.

For some things yes. When it comes to social settings and feeling awkward in some situations I get too nervous and stressed for no good reason.

Other times I'm stressed for problems dealing with family.
I'd say most of my stressful times are from childhood, teen years and early 20s. I wonder if having an extremely stressful childhood did some sort of damage in many different ways.

I haven't heard of that supplement but I may give it a try.

Kierkegaard

• Hormone Shrink
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 05:41:05 am »

For some things yes. When it comes to social settings and feeling awkward in some situations I get too nervous and stressed for no good reason.

Other times I'm stressed for problems dealing with family.
I'd say most of my stressful times are from childhood, teen years and early 20s. I wonder if having an extremely stressful childhood did some sort of damage in many different ways.

I haven't heard of that supplement but I may give it a try.

Well, having an intense reaction to stress could be a sign if hypothyroidism (which goes with excessive norepinephrine levels, which could oversensitize a person to stress), or from adrenal fatigue/low cortisol (and specifically high ACTH, which also can elevate other stress hormones like norepinephrine and epinephrine that aren't slowed down by cortisol fast enough, leading to more intense stress responses relative to the stressor).  I'd rec getting TSH, free T3, and free T4 pulled, as well as a 4x salivary cortisol test with DHEA-S, which you can get from canaryclub.com.

C.Rock

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 07:58:56 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

Well I'm due for some yearly blood labs so I'm curious to see what my glucose levels are these days and whatever else my doctor orders.

I've had pretty good energy levels despite everything.

I looked into hypothyroidism symptoms and most of the symptoms don't seem to fit me except maybe a couple. But I did read that some people only experience a few symptoms, so testing wouldn't hurt.

C.Rock

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 04:40:27 pm »
Hey everyone, I just wanted to post some blood work, both my most recent that I just received and some from a few months back.
Everything seems to look normal but I need help interpreting thyroid stuff.

8/7/2015

Total Testosterone 438 ng/dl
estradiol 30.5 pg/mL  ( 7.6 -42.6)
Hemoglobin 15.0 g/dL ( 12.6 - 17.7)
Albumin 4.3 g/dl
SHBG 36.4
Free Testosterone 8.53 ng/dl

12/19/2015
Hemoglobin A1C : 5.5%. Standard Range : <=6.9
(My last reading was 5.4 Feb of 2012.)
Estimated glucose average of 112 ng/dl.

Cholesterol: 105 mg/dl Standard Range :<=199
It was only at 112 in Feb of 2012.
Triglycerides : 48 mg/dl Standard Range : <=149
It was at 58 in 2012.
LDL: 48 mg/dl.standard range : <=99
Down from 56 in 2012.
HDL : 47 mg/dl. Standard Range :>=40
Up from 35 ng/dl in 2012.

12/28/2015
TSH 2.200 uIu/ml (0.450 - 4.500)
Thyroxine t4  6.9 ug/dl (4.5-12.)
T3 uptake 36 (24 - 39)
Free thyroxine index 2.5  (1.2- 4.9)

Total Testosterone 518 ng/dl (348- 1197)

The only thing I really did different is add some zinc and more vitamin d3.

I do feel a little better when I get into the 500s of total T.

I don't know my free T this time. The last time it came out in the 500s the doctor called and told me my T levels looked ok, but then he called the next day and said actually my free T was low. I don't have the paper work on that one though.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 04:43:48 pm by C.Rock »

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 04:40:27 pm »