Quantcast

Author Topic: Question on Estradiol  (Read 6117 times)

jinNE

• View Profile
Question on Estradiol
« on: January 08, 2013, 10:56:05 pm »
Hi all,

I've been lurking here since May but this is my first post.

First, let me say THANK YOU to all of you posters - I have been reading for months and your info and stories have been enlightening and inspiring. I had about every symptom you could have had going into this - to the point of looking into antidepresents. I feel like I am on a path to great health now, and it's helped knowig I'm not on this journey alone.

I am 43 years old and struggling with low T. My story is just another flavor of so many here so I won't go into a lot of detail. Suffice it to say that after eating healthy and working out for many months, I realized something must be wrong. I got lucky to get connected to a Dr. that specializes in this. A deep blood dive in May revealed the following numbers:

Total T    288
Free T     65
Estradiol  16.6
Hemoglobin  16.1
Hematocrit  46.6

All of of other blood values were good - and many like my Trigl and Chol were improved from the previous year.

Dr. put me on HCG 3 times a week and we again tested. I don't have those numbers with me, but they were literally within a few points of my starting numbers. I then went on Testim (one tube) and stayed on HCG. Tested again with almost no improvement - I was still below 300 total but my free had improved some.

Next step was two tubes of Testim. Tested after 30 days and FINALLY have improvement! The new numbers as of a week ago are:

Total T   721
Free       194
Estradiol  64.5
Hemoglobin 17.8
Hematocrit  51.1

I had a shot while I was in for this test, and felt better over the weekend than I can remember in a LONG LONG time. Lots of great things, but I think the overall sense of well-being was the most wonderful part.

Now, the Dr. is putting me on Arimidex (a generic) to lower the Estradiol (1 MG per pill). According to the nurse, they think this is what's keeping me from feeling my best.

So a few questions:

1. With the numbers I've shown, how much of an effect do you think the Estradiol is having today?
2. Why do you think the shot made such a difference over the weekend? Do I need to get my numbers even higher or perhaps did I just get the high enough to get over the problem of the Estradiol?

I really appreciate any input you have, and keep up the fight! :)

James
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 12:14:29 am by jinNE »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Question on Estradiol
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 02:25:49 am »
Yes, estradiol can make a huge difference.  I think you'll feel much much better once they get your E2 levels down. 

I'm not sure why the  shot would suddenly propel into good territory.  Doesn't make sense.  Ask your doc (if you want) if he's seen that before and has any explanation.

And I'm glad something on the site helped!
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 02:25:49 am »

jinNE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 03:06:45 am »
PeakT - your site has been of TREMENDOUS value to me, I sincerely thank you. :)

PS: I bought the PDF of foods, and that's been very enlightening as well.

JustAskin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 08:43:32 pm »
Just going to chime in on why I think the shot made such a difference for a short time.
Again this is only my opinion. But I had this exact experence.

When you had your blood tests ran if you had SHBG checked we would know if my opinion holds water.

The sweet spot that we all search for is when E2=SHBG. Give or take 2-3 points. And Testosterone at or above mid range, and DHEAS is around 400.
So when you got your shot your E2=16.6, then the second E2=64.5

Testosterone makes the SHBG come down and E2 go up, so when the E2 and SHBG met you hit the sweet spot, but is is very fleeting because they had not leveled out as they passed. Your second test shows E2=64.5 if you had got SHBG tested both times, the first time it would have been around 50 and now it is lower if you are still on shots.
Keep close watch on erections while on Arimidex, and not get E2 to low.
If you hit the sweet spot again, go for complete labs, that way you know what levels you strive for.
Again only my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 08:45:34 pm by JustAskin »

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 08:43:32 pm »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 09:01:57 pm »
Just going to chime in on why I think the shot made such a difference for a short time.
Again this is only my opinion. But I had this exact experence.

When you had your blood tests ran if you had SHBG checked we would know if my opinion holds water.

The sweet spot that we all search for is when E2=SHBG. Give or take 2-3 points. And Testosterone at or above mid range, and DHEAS is around 400.
So when you got your shot your E2=16.6, then the second E2=64.5

Testosterone makes the SHBG come down and E2 go up, so when the E2 and SHBG met you hit the sweet spot, but is is very fleeting because they had not leveled out as they passed. Your second test shows E2=64.5 if you had got SHBG tested both times, the first time it would have been around 50 and now it is lower if you are still on shots.
Keep close watch on erections while on Arimidex, and not get E2 to low.
If you hit the sweet spot again, go for complete labs, that way you know what levels you strive for.
Again only my opinion.

Very interesting theory.

Just askin brought up some great principles here:  E2 climbs and SHBG comes down with testosterone administration.
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

jinNE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 04:51:08 pm »
Thanks JustAskin,

The SHGB (if I have that correct as the Sex Binding Globulin) was 24 on the original test results. To my knowledge, it was tested this pass but I will ask to have to tested next time. My DHEA-S was 148 originally, but again it wasn't tested this pass (I do take DHEA-S suppliments). I think I'll call the nurse and see if maybe they did pull a SHGB number and I just didn't get it...

You mentioned keeping an eye on my erections while on Ameridex. I have to tell you, I've been keeping a close eye on them for months! LOL

Actually, I typically wake up once in the middle of the night for what they call second sleep. I have noticed that I almost always have an erection when I wake up! this is new (and wonderful to have again). Not getting them when I wake up in the morning to get up, but at least I seem to be having them every night. I didn't realize how much I missed them.

What do I need to worry about with the Ameridex?

So, it sounds like when I get my lab work in another month or two to have the SHGB and DHEA re-run as well, and see where I'm at?

thanks again!

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 05:05:10 pm »
You mentioned keeping an eye on my erections while on Ameridex. I have to tell you, I've been keeping a close eye on them for months!
Now that's funny...

Actually, I typically wake up once in the middle of the night for what they call second sleep. I have noticed that I almost always have an erection when I wake up! this is new (and wonderful to have again). Not getting them when I wake up in the morning to get up, but at least I seem to be having them every night. I didn't realize how much I missed them.
Now this is the right way to start the New Year!

What do I need to worry about with the Ameridex?

You do not want to be too high or too low with E2.  Both can cause erectile, mood and even some medical issues if they go on too long.  From what I've seen, most docs try to keep you in the 20-30 range, but discuss with your physician.

JustAskin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 05:33:39 pm »
What I meant when I said to keep an eye on arimidex is some people can drive their E2 to low before they realize.
So keep an eye on E2, so you will know how quickly the dose your are taking brings down E2. then adjust accordingly.
E2 should be between 20-30 actually and SHGB in that same range.

jinNE

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 08:19:54 pm »
Thanks guys! Yes PeakT, I am starting off good - I'm generally happy, my sense of humour has returned, and I am dealing with stress very, very well. Haven't been like this is years, and I very optimistic!

Thanks to both of you on the E2 warning. I've got a great doc who will get me back in in a month or two for more blood work - he's a big believer in monitoring the results of the things he has me trying. He's shooting for an E2 of 20 - not sure about the HSGH but I'm going to ask...

To any other lurkers that might be reading this - keep at it, it may not happen as fast as you like but you can change your life! :)

jinNE

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 09:15:07 pm »
You mentioned keeping an eye on my erections while on Ameridex. I have to tell you, I've been keeping a close eye on them for months!
Now that's funny...

What's funny is how we haven't been seeing eye to eye...

;)

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 09:15:07 pm »