Quantcast

Author Topic: Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy  (Read 4383 times)

Sam

• View Profile
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
« on: January 28, 2013, 11:22:56 pm »
Anyone have any experience with this in it's relation to regenerative properties and or overall hormonal health?

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 03:37:28 am »
I've always been cautious about this and the reason is that hyperoxia, supplemental oxygen, has really been under scruting lately.  Here is an example paper:

http://www.jems.com/behind-the-mask

The article points out that oxygen is a vasoconstrictor much like norepenephrine and other potentially dangerous issues.  However, this is what I find most concerning about long term, low level usage:  the potenial for an extra oxidative load:

"Hyperoxia also causes free-radical damage. Free radicals are oxygen atoms with a charge due to an unequal number of protons and electrons. These radicals are known to cause intracellular damage and cell destruction (much like pouring hydrogen peroxide into an open would). It’s known that ischemic tissues are particularly sensitive to free-radical damage. This may be a major factor in the pathogenesis of hyperoxia."

But I'd love to hear someone else's take on this.  Maybe my concerns are unfounded.
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 03:37:28 am »

Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 04:13:45 am »
Here is a list of benefits of HBOT (Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy)  I am certain this is biased and will try and find references to scientific journals also, but for sake of discussion I have listed them here.   Of particular interest to me is the idea that it can aid in the healing of internal organs via stem cell proliferation.   It made me wonder if this could be of value to people with Adrenal Fatigue.   I also called a local Doctor who offers these services today and, "of course" he was confident it could help with this.   He was honest enough to say that the mechanisms are not that well understood, but a consistent benefit is a reduction in fatigue which can help the body have the energy it needs to repair itself more efficiently.  He charge $150 for the initial consultation and then $95.00/hr for treatment.   He advises on how often you should seek treatment during the consultation.   I didn't want to press it lest I get another nasty email like I did from NMC:-)

Here is the list.

Benefits of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy – HBOT
•To fight infection: A fully oxygenated body will kill off any anaerobic bacteria, and will enhance the effectiveness of some antibiotics.
•To oxygenate ischemic tissue: Breathing oxygen under pressure dissolves more O2 into your body, oxygen is then delivered by plasma, which means parts of your body that are not getting sufficient amounts of blood are still getting sufficient amounts of oxygen.
•To “off gas”: By breathing 100% oxygen under pressure, toxic gases like carbon monoxide are forced out of the blood stream which greatly reduces the damage done by them.
•To promote vasoconstriction: Hyperbaric treatments causes the circulatory system to constrict, while still delivering sufficient amounts of oxygen, which helps in treating compartment syndrome by reducing edema, and reducing inflammation.
•To promote vasculogenesis and angiogenesis: Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy induces growth factors in stem cells to help them differentiate and begin the formation of new blood vessels.
•To regain neurological function: Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy stimulates blood flow, metabolism, and tissue growth in people with brain injuries. This reawakens dormant but living cells surrounding the injured area.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 04:17:38 am by Samson1971 »

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 05:09:49 am »
Sure.  But oxygen is corrosive.  This kind of reminds me of the argument in increasing inflammation and insulin in order to build muscle.  Sure, those probably accelerate hypertrophy, but at the cost of accelerated overall aging.  I am sure this has its place in treating short term conditions, but as a long term solution - it seems a little scary.

Anyway, sorry to repeat myself.  I'll be quiet now as hopefully someone has had some experience with it.
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 05:09:49 am »

Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 01:03:05 pm »
Trust me, I am not jumping right into this.  I just thought it might be worthy of discussion.  Interested in others views also.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 01:03:05 pm »