Quantcast

Author Topic: Does intense exercise decrease testosterone?  (Read 5092 times)

boogaloo

• View Profile
Does intense exercise decrease testosterone?
« on: January 30, 2013, 04:40:56 pm »
Hello everyone,

I just had my yearly follow up labs with my urologist. I'm taking 300 mg. every 14 days of testosterone cypionate. My previous lab results showed 547 but my most recent labs came back at 388.

I have been running a lot (ran two 5K events), dropped 10 lbs on my own. Now I'm on day 10 of Insanity and lost another 3 lbs. Could my exercise be burning up my testosterone stores?

Any advice? Should I have my urologist increase my dose, frequency?

(background: pituitary tumor, currently taking .2mg of genotropin for GH deficiency).

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
Re: Does intense exercise decrease testosterone?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 05:07:07 pm »
In a natural man, i.e. not on HRT, endurance exercise has been shown in some cases to decrease testosterone as opposed to weights and resistance training which has been shown to increase it.  I'm not saying you shouldn't do endurance exercise, by the way, but am just pointing out it can lead to decreases.

Of course, overtraining can affect hormones as well:

http://www.peaktesteosterone.com/overtrain

The issue is probably that you are on a two week cycle.  The last 3 or 4 days of a two week cycle will leave you pretty much hypogonadal and this is why most savvy docs do a weekly cycle from what I've seen.  This also creates less estrogen spikes as well.

Again, weekly injections leads to smoother testosterone levels on average and less estrogen spikes and does not leave you hypogonadal the last three or four days.  Big advantages, don't you think?

I hope he/she also pulled your estradiol.  If so, can you send that?

Also, did you get your pull near the end of your cycle?  If so, that's probably why your readings are so low.

THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BOOK ON TRT/TESTOSTERONE:
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 05:07:07 pm »

boogaloo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 05:26:18 pm »
Thanks PeakT for your response.

Yes, both readings were done on day 14. It's a big drop from 547 to 388. I'll ask him to move me to weekly and also pull estradiol.

I'm taking 300 mg. over 14 days. Does it make sense to do 150 mg. weekly? Or ask him for a higher weekly dose, like 175 mg. or 200 mg.?

Thanks again for all your help.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 05:54:05 pm »
Can't touch pharmaceutical dosage advice - sorry.  But I can tell you that 150 mg weekly is a pretty common dosage. 

Also, type in weekly into the search above and you should pull a lot of other threads on the subject.

Let us know what happens...
https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Versus-Testosterone-Therapy-Myer/dp/1523210532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499116128&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+versus+testosterone+therapy
And check out my New Peak Testosterone Program: http://www.peaktestosterone.com/peak_testosterone_program
If you are on medications or have a medical condition, always check with your doctor first before making any lifestyle changes or taking new supplements.  And low testosterone is a medical condition.

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 05:54:05 pm »

JackAndy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 03:08:46 am »
What do you mean by "running alot" are the 2 5k events the running or are you trying to say that you have been training a lot for 5k events? That's quite a big difference.
5'11" 190 lbs
150mg Test-E/week

Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 03:32:22 am »
6 months ago, I was a couch potato at 225lbs with T levels at 230 total and 56 Free

Now, I am 195lbs, 12% body fat,  I run 4-6 miles 2-3days/week, cycle 15-30miles 1-2days/week and work out at the gym 2-3 days per week.

My T levels are at 230 Total and 46 Free.   Is my exercise causing a decrease in T levels, maybe but I felt like crap when I was a couch potato and I still don't feel much better although I look better in the mirror.  I think this is where the restorative sleep issue comes in and something is still causing me not to sleep well.   I think it's the dull headaches at night because if I take a Tylenol I sleep better but that could also be related to my low Cortisol levels, i.e. Adrenal function.   So it ends up being a chicken or egg thing.

Anyway, just one example to consider.

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 04:46:08 am »
6 months ago, I was a couch potato at 225lbs with T levels at 230 total and 56 Free

Now, I am 195lbs, 12% body fat,  I run 4-6 miles 2-3days/week, cycle 15-30miles 1-2days/week and work out at the gym 2-3 days per week.

My T levels are at 230 Total and 46 Free.   Is my exercise causing a decrease in T levels, maybe but I felt like crap when I was a couch potato and I still don't feel much better although I look better in the mirror.  I think this is where the restorative sleep issue comes in and something is still causing me not to sleep well.   I think it's the dull headaches at night because if I take a Tylenol I sleep better but that could also be related to my low Cortisol levels, i.e. Adrenal function.   So it ends up being a chicken or egg thing.

Imo you're very likely not feeling better because your testosterone is so low.  It is VERY smart you are exercising, though, because low testosterone pushes your insulin through the roof and increases your risk for insulin resistance, Metabolic Syndrome, diabetes, arteriosclerosis and the exercise (as long as you don't overtrain) will help protect you from that.

JackAndy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 07:55:19 am »

Like PeakT said, I think you should be proud of the changes you made. It's good to be in a community where people care about themselves and we can help eachother. So you got one problem out of the way and you have to just keep chipping at it until your health is where you want it. It takes some of us years, but it's worth it.
5'11" 190 lbs
150mg Test-E/week

PeakT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Peak Testosterone
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 07:58:56 pm »
It takes some of us years, but it's worth it.

It took me years and I've seen very nice steady improvement over about four years time.  I still have things to work on and weak points, etc.  That's where we're all at if we're honest.  The big goal is to keep moving upward instead of spiraling down into the standard four or five medication that the typical person is taking in their 50's and 60's!

Peak Testosterone Forum

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 07:58:56 pm »